Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

At the end of that OVA, Terry goes up against Mars and starts to seem to combine his techniques. For example, he uses the Sempu-Ken (that tornado punch) with a pair of Burn Knuckles simultaneously, and ends up getting even more out of it. Plus, his 'regular' techniques have a lot more oomph to them. He uses another Burn Knuckle that shrouds his entire body with blue fire, not just his fist, and ends up resembling his Power Dunk move from later KoF games.

The final attack that takes out Mars, to hint, looked like he should have said 'Are you okay?' at the beginning of it. Basically, Mars goes to hit him, and Terry punches straight into Mars' attack, causing an immense explosion of energy that overpowers and obliterates Mars. It resembles his in-game ultimate move, the Buster Wolf.

So in comparison to his moves/power levels previous to this fight, he certainly was operating at a higher level of power as well as chaining moves together in a way he hadn't before to produce greater effects. And pulled out what was effectively his Buster Wolf at the end, basically creating that technique on the spot.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I mean I GUESS, but the whole sequence STARTS as him using the senpuken finally, and it still seems to have been largely a factor of him channeling a boatload of power, which we pretty much know all comes from the technique's Earth-connection that he completely neglected to use up to that point. I'm just defending my apparently-controversial joke about how maybe Terry should have tried channeling all that power a little earlier. Then again, maybe Sulia should have held off on committing suicide for a few more minutes. Now I'm just thinking that Terry's like internally, "okay, time to bust out the WAIT SULIA NO" because Sulia doesn't know shonen rules of fight escalation and thought he was losing. Maybe it's for the best; I'm pretty sure her "I have to lay naked on you for awhile now" thing from earlier in the movie constitutes and assault on Terry.

It's not like that's the most inexplicable thing in the movie. Like the third fight scene is everyone but Joe insisting that it's extremely important Kim's children watch him get beaten to death (nearly to death, but it didn't look like he was gonna win when Terry stopped Joe). Or like Terry crying blood just... because. Just let me make fun of the rules of fightworld. And I want to see the scene where Terry tries to get into this fancy party dressed... like Terry.

Don't get me wrong, I love that movie. It's just very much a movie that has a lot of MST potential, which is a big part of its charm.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 10-16-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

The movie was...I agree there's some good stuff in it, but there's a lot that I didn't like, as well. And yes, I agree that there's the usual 'escalation' in fights, when characters really should pull out their big guns at the start. There's some rational for it, wrt how things work in fighting games; DMs and SDMs can't just be tossed out. Gauges need to be built up or people need to have 'flashing red life' or both. But it still can be really annoying, especially when in SOME fights they do (Andy versus the flunky group pool-side, as an example).

I get it.

And maybe they let Terry into the party because they thought he was delivering pizza. <-- Terry is my all-time favorite SNK character, but even I cannot go along with his classic clothes.

But seriously, he does do a lot of stuff in the fight against Mars that isn't the norm for him. Every move he makes in that fight is something big and new - that was something I did find interesting in the movie.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

The worst part was never getting that rematch with Geese that they teased at.