View Poll Results: Should Xavier give Emma a Boston accent?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ya huh

13 37.14%
  • Naw

22 62.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Do rich, old-money Bostonians have particularly strong accents? And, if yes, do they sound anything like the stereotypical Southie accent usually associated with Boston? I don't mind Emma having a regional accent as long as she still unmistakably upper-class.

BANNED

What about a sort of hybrid trans-atlantic accent? A delightfully posh drawl but with an unmistakably Bostonian twang?

I think a Transatlantic accent is perfect for her. I could see Emma quickly dropping any hint of a Bostonian accent when she was in High School/College when she first started to find herself.

While a Transatlantic accent has that polished posh/rich sound to it, very New England high-brow.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    So your vote is that Emma-sama's voice is better Brit than Bostonian? It was sort of artificially induced upon her in the comics, similar to Betsy/Kwannon's bodies (retcon though that may be).
    Emma wouldn't speak with typical Bostonian accent, she would have an upper crust private school accent along with tempering from going to Empire State University in New York (same university as Peter Parker).

Emma will speak with typical upper crust Massachusetts accent, Emma never saw the inside of a Boston public school or Catholic school in her life, she went to a private girls school for rich kids and she probably had European teachers. Schools like this usually teach French side by side with English to help give the students a polish to their accents.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

I honestly can't read Mama's voice in a Bostonian accent. Whenever I imagine Mama's voice I think of Isabella Valentine from Sou Calibur
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

No.

If she's from an affluent neighborhood of Boston, she wouldn't have an accent in the first place.

If she did have one, she would've left it behind early in life--either as part of formal training, like learning diction in school, or to become more professional and posh while reinventing herself in her early adult life.

Yes, there are class implications with the Boston accent.

To use the 30 Rock references: Nancy Donovan isn't from Boston; if Jack Donaghy had one (his siblings and dad do), Colleen had it trained out of him so he could pursue wealth and power.
    Last edited by Filthy Mutie; 10-14-2019 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Added a note about Colleen.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    No.

If she's from an affluent neighborhood of Boston, she wouldn't have an accent in the first place.

If she did have one, she would've left it behind early in life--either as part of formal training, like learning diction in school, or to become more professional and posh while reinventing herself in her early adult life.

Yes, there are class implications with the Boston accent.

To use the 30 Rock references: Nancy Donovan isn't from Boston; if Jack Donaghy had one (his siblings and dad do), Colleen had it trained out of him so he could pursue wealth and power.
    Yeah, Emma spent her entire childhood at private school from elementary to high school. One of the things they do at these schools is give people polish on their accents.

Plus I think the Frost Estate is pretty big and is probably on the furthest outskirts of Boston in the most affluent neighbourhood there is in Boston. The Frost family was one of the richest families in Massachusetts and had one of the largest estates.

I bet Emma hasn't been in the same room as someone from "southie" in her entire life.

Astonishing Member

If the southie was a maid or busboy, maybe. But she wouldn’t have talked to them.

Didn't someone call out Emma for her "fake" British accent once? Like Betsy, or Jean?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't someone call out Emma for her "fake" British accent once? Like Betsy, or Jean?
    Realistically Emma has a typical university accent and she probably puts on an affectation by trying to sound more upper crust/british.

Emma left home at 17 and she used to hit up illegal poker games in New York to make money for college because she was disowned. So I imagine she can be a bit of a chameleon when it comes to her accents.

On top of that she knows a lot of languages, I would guess at minimum she knows French, Spanish, and German, and I think she knows Japanese, Cantonese, and Mandarin because she has had dealings in Asia a lot.

thank you for this coveredinbees!
    Last edited by sungila; 10-14-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm pretty sure she's been called out quite a lot about it lol. Recently Sinister in Rosenberg's run noticed she was still faking the accent. I think Storm asked Scott about it in Astonishing.

I think it's hilarious that she fakes a British accent lol. So over the top. I can also see her having a transatlantic accent as someone has said.
    Last edited by Veitha; 10-14-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I'm pretty sure she's been called out quite a lot about it lol. Recently Sinister in Rosenberg's run noticed she was still faking the accent. I think Storm asked Scott about it in Astonishing.

I think it's hilarious that she fakes a British accent lol. So over the top. I can also see her having a transatlantic accent as someone as said.
    Me too. I just find it hilarious that she fakes an English accent.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Ultimate Member

Thanks to the movies, with Brits playing Xavier, I've gotten used to 'hearing' Xavier faking a British accent, too!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

For supper, I want a party platter.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.