All-New Member

Default Batman in the Brave and the Bold Omnibus vol. 3

Hello. Does anyone know if/when "Batman in the Brave and the Bold Omnibus vol. 3" will be published? It was originally slated for release in Aug 2019 but from what I can tell it was not and retail sites are showing an unknown release date.

I saw something on an online forum back in March that DC had cancelled this publication but I then saw a post that they rescinded the cancellation. Can't find any definitive info out there. Does anyone know if DC still plans on releasing this book and if so when? Thank you.

It's been cancelled for the foreseeable future. The Bronze Age omnibi are switching to a different model, with smaller hardcovers that may be collected into omnibi later. Examples include the recent Shazam! collections as well as the All-Star Comics and Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes. I think of them as pseudo-DC Archives.

All-New Member

Thank you, Jody. That is sad considering this volume would've completed the B&B run. It is just odd that DC still has it out on their site (https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...rave-and-the-1) and Amazon UK, MyComicShop, and MidtownComics continue to list it as well (albeit "out of stock").

Does the new Bronze Age model collect fewer stories than the Omnibus or typically do they collect the same number but just smaller page sizes? The Robin Omnibus (scheduled for release next year) appears to have similar dimensions as the Batgirl Bronze Age Omnibus (at least according to Amazon). Regardless of the format I just wish DC would finish what they said they would.

Thanks again for the info!

The archive-lites are much smaller. The Shzam ones collect 12 issues a pop, for instance. Were I to hazard a guess, this allows them to make a higher profit rate per issue and cover the restoration better.

They also cancelled the third Bronze Age JLA omnibus, I had it and the B&B omnibuses pre-ordered. The first ten or twelve issues that should've been in the JLA omnibus are coming out in a hardcover The Wedding of the Atom.
    I am confused by what the omnibuses were cancelled when other omnibuses are still coming out, like the Robin omnibus. I'd have thought B&B and JLA would've been pretty solid sellers.

All-New Member

Agreed. Especially since they are continuing to produce other Omnibuses like the Robin one and the Golden Age Batman vol. 8 next year. If they weren't confident B&B 3 would sell well then why did they announce its release and allow for re-orders? Very disappointing. I've pre-ordered many times and never seen them pull something back because they changed their mind. Makes me feel less confident going forward in pre-ordering....

All-New Member

Thank you, Jody. Good to know. Maybe the different, more affordable format is good news for their average fan but bad news for fans like myself who are willing to pay good $ for larger, full collections. I can understand DC's profitability concerns but why sad that they come to that conclusion after announcing its release and allowing for pre-orders? Not cool.

Incredible Member

Agreed. I was looking forward to having the entirety of Batman’s B&B run in 3 volumes.

All-New Member

Does anyone know how to provide feedback/suggestions to DC? I've searched the web and contacted various sites but I don't see a way for fans to provide reprint suggestions or feedback directly to DC. Thank you.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    It's been cancelled for the foreseeable future. The Bronze Age omnibi are switching to a different model, with smaller hardcovers that may be collected into omnibi later. Examples include the recent Shazam! collections as well as the All-Star Comics and Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes.
    The third and final Legion of Super-Heroes Silver Age Omnibus is announced for 2020.

I hope at one point we'll finally see all those deferred/cancelled Omnibus releases. I really want the final Batman B&B Omnibus as well as the final two JLA Bronze Age Omnibuses as well as Bronze Age Omnibuses of Flash, Green Lantern and Supergirl.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    The third and final Legion of Super-Heroes Silver Age Omnibus is announced for 2020.

I hope at one point we'll finally see all those deferred/cancelled Omnibus releases. I really want the final Batman B&B Omnibus as well as the final two JLA Bronze Age Omnibuses as well as Bronze Age Omnibuses of Flash, Green Lantern and Supergirl.
    Agree. I'm also hoping that one day we'll get some Omnibus collections of Paul Levitz's Baxter Legion issues. There were 63 issues plus some annuals. I want all of Levitz's run available in collections.

All-New Member

Good news (I think). Amazon updated this item to "This title will be released on January 12, 2021". Does anyone else know if DC has officially resurrected this from cancellation?

They have. It was featured in the latest Edelweiss catalog.

All-New Member

Just got an email from Amazon stating delivery of this item will now be September 2021 (and is now showing as "currently unavailable" on Amazon)---it was previously slated for shipping in March (after previously being January). Does anyone know if DC officially moved the release date out 6 months to September or is all of this a "best guess"? This item has had more different release dates than any product I've ever been interested in.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

They move these collections around a lot, unfortunately. I actually prefer the 500~650 page hardcovers because I can probably knock those out in a day whereas the omnibuses can be herculean tasks to knock out, not to mention they require more effort to prevent wear and tear or breaking down under their own weight (supporting the pages with sticky notes, cracking the spine carefully throughout before finally reading, not being comfortable on a lap or in bed, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I've got a lot of omnibuses and I love them dearly, but the 500-650 page hardcover has proven to be the sweet spot for value vs. fuss.