Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    What's weird and blech is folks not recognising that there's one type of family. Damian is biological, Dick is adopted, tim and Jason are foster kids so yeah they are HIS KIDS.

Batman is a story of a boy who lost his family and built one for himself by gathering others who were also alone. They are his family and like he told Superman last year in Dark Nights Metal. They are his light, his hope. They are his loved ones. They are family They are the ones he thinks of when things are at their darkest and he has no will/hope. "Thinking of them. Damian. My kids" that give's him joy and the strength to keep on.

They are not all his kids but they are family. Kate is his cousin.

I do agree that there is something off about his constant need to take in young uns and dress up to fight crime. He's even got a new one. A baby he's adopted. He's currently raising him right now in JL and it's adorable. It's dressed as Robin of course and joins him on the field
    why is tim a foster kid his parents are alive?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    No, it's actually Dick after he got his memories back. He just missed his old life as Ric so much that when they all gathered to have a group hug at the end of their session he got a panic attack and activated his escrima sticks. For some reason the usually non lethal electrocution suddenly kills everyone he was hugging. He tries to frame Jason, who didn't participate because he was smoking outside.
    You outkinged Tom King. Lol

Batman is a story of a boy who lost his family and built one for himself by gathering others who were also alone. They are his family and like he told Superman last year in Dark Nights Metal. They are his light, his hope. They are his loved ones. They are family They are the ones he thinks of when things are at their darkest and he has no will/hope. "Thinking of them. Damian. My kids" that give's him joy and the strength to keep on.
    Didn't read the issue. Looks like Damian getting set apart from the others again as more important - he's worthy of the name drop. I know this has happened a couple of times, where he thinks of them all, but Damian gets the extra-special call-out/set apart from the others. Is that what happened this time? Really irritated me when I saw it previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    why is tim a foster kid his parents are alive?
    I believe so according to Rebirth Tec but with the all new timeline that might change.

Bruce in Tec also said he was his ward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Didn't read the issue. Looks like Damian getting set apart from the others again as more important - he's worthy of the name drop. I know this has happened a couple of times, where he thinks of them all, but Damian gets the extra-special call-out/set apart from the others. Is that what happened this time? Really irritated me when I saw it previously.
    I didn't view it as that and it didn't seem to be the case. He was trapped in the Dark Universe for years and had given up hope. He just stopped fighting and accepted his fate. Superman found him and tried to convince him to return to our dimension but Bruce was unwilling to break out.

Here's the page where he says Damian which I just saw it as since he was the minor who was still living at home so likely the last one of kids he interacted with especially since he asked Ollie to keep an eye on him before he left to go on this mission so his mind brought that up since that was something that he had to do at home.

He also had a special message for Dick before he left. I believe he was the only one he actually informed of his mission so I don't believe this is one of those cases of the blood son....

Last edited by dietrich; 10-17-2019 at 06:06 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    I never understand people who want to get rid of the batfamily. I feel like they are missing a vital part of what makes Bruce human and likeable.
    I do. The rise of the Batfamily coincided with Bruce increasingly becoming more of a jerk.

He was far more likable when it was just him and Robin, or just him, Robin, and Batgirl.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    I do. The rise of the Batfamily coincided with Bruce increasingly becoming more of a jerk.

He was far more likable when it was just him and Robin, or just him, Robin, and Batgirl.
    Batman, Robin and Batgirl (and Alfred)...so...you know...the batfamily. The most basic form of it at least.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post

I think his jerkiness started becoming prominent around the time Jason arrived, but is unrelated to Jason's arrival. I tend to associate with Crisis, but I've been told it came earlier. I've intentionally avoided post-Jason/pre-COIE Batman because I didn't want to get to know pre-COIE Jason, so I cannot really speak with any knowledge there. I mean, Donna's wedding is about all I have to go on.

He is just an absolute jerk to several people (other heroes) in the early post-COIE days. It's not accidental, IMO, given the way Dick's transition to Nightwing was re-written (though another comic sort of makes excuses for this, so it's not consistent, either). It's not constant (and is less apparent in his own book than in team titles), but it was enough to make me not inclined to read stories with him. I've heard it said that there was still some pre-COIE Bruce in him until the mid-1990s. I can certainly think of some nicer-Bruce in the early-to-mid-90s. By 1999, though, he was just crossing the jerk-line all the time. Recently, I read someone say it happened after No Man's Land, but in my opinion, it happened before NML.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-17-2019 at 11:22 AM.

BANNED

Thomas Wayne... I'm glad that they show Thomas Wayne as evil. A capitalist pig like him suppose to be evil. Joker is our social justice warrior clown prince, fight the power ! system is wrong, death to rich !

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I think his jerkiness started becoming prominent around the time Jason arrived, but is unrelated to Jason's arrival. I tend to associate with Crisis, but I've been told it came earlier. I've intentionally avoided post-Jason/pre-COIE Batman because I didn't want to get to know pre-COIE Jason, so I cannot really speak with any knowledge there. I mean, Donna's wedding is about all I have to go on.

He is just an absolute jerk to several people (other heroes) in the early post-COIE days. It's not accidental, IMO, given the way Dick's transition to Nightwing was re-written (though another comic sort of makes excuses for this, so it's not consistent, either). It's not constant (and is less apparent in his own book than in team titles), but it was enough to make me not inclined to read stories with him. I've heard it said that there was still some pre-COIE Bruce in him until the mid-1990s. I can certainly think of some nicer-Bruce in the early-to-mid-90s. By 1999, though, he was just crossing the jerk-line all the time. Recently, I read someone say it happened after No Man's Land, but in my opinion, it happened before NML.
    I've been reading the original "Batman and Outsiders" run, which is in the same time frame as Pre Crisis Jason, and he's pretty jerky in that particular book. But like you say, there's plenty of likable Batman moments throughout that mid 80's-mid 90's period.

I think that Bruce started to act like a jerk at times because writers started to write him as a flawed character, because, I guess, heroes need to have human flaws to be interesting. It was a very late 70's thing, I guess, even if it didn't start to effect Batman until the 80's. I guess the Barton movies had a hand on it, too.

Batman in the TAS was like what I've read in the 80's comics, I think. I find him still likeable. I cannot say the same for what I've seem of him in the (middle) 90's and forward: I go from cold and indifference to dislike. I would say Miller's take had a hand in what came after him, too, because it must have affected what readers started to look for in Batman, but I don't know; maybe it didn't a lot in the end.

I've never liked when Batman hit his kids but I'd put it down to bad writing, or extenuating circumstances. Like, after being tortured in the CoO maze, ptsd made him punch Dick in the face. As opposed to saying "Hey chum. Your family is part of a dangerous bird themed murder cult. We need to remove one of your teeth, to the med bay!". All of our faves have some pretty dodgy out of character panels.

Having Bruce condition the children in his care to interpret violence as hidden commands is disgusting. I hope after King leaves this is retconned out. It's so stupid, I mean he could have non violent hidden commands

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    Having Bruce condition the children in his care to interpret violence as hidden commands is disgusting. I hope after King leaves this is retconned out. It's so stupid, I mean he could have non violent hidden commands
    It's disgusting and ineffective if you ask me. I made a joke a few days ago about Bruce hitting them for real and them misinterpreting his punch as an order to blow stuff up, but considering that the batfamily fighting each other for whatever reason (heated arguments, mind control, impersonation) is not unusual a punch based communication sounds like something that can go wrong pretty quickly.

BANNED

Wait... what... HAHAHAHAHAH King took the stupidest thing in stree fighter and applied it to Batman ? Ryu was like ''i feel no anger or sadness in your fists'' after he fought sagat... lol Ryu was using martial arts to communicate... i was laughing so hard... damn...As they say in South Park for the best fighters around the world: ''You can't stop Ryu and Batman's figthing, their fighting is poetry...'' lol hahaha LMAO....

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Damian has attacked Dick a few times which really pisses me off. Not only is it unhealthy. It's disrespectful as all hell when we consider the role Dick played in his life.

Communicating with their fists should be reserved for villains and the field.

I wish writers would calm down on Damian attacking family members.
    I think Damien is a weird case given his upbringing and life so far (ie nonstop violence). He’s gone on record multiple times expressing his admiration and love for Dick -even if not in those exact words- and couple that with how he sometimes seems to view violence as a way of proving one’s self or gaining respect, it’s hardly surprising that he’s clashed with Dick a lot.

Damien is well aware of and generally feels entitled to Bruce’s love and is quite confident about his place as Successor of the Bat, but he’s way less sure of his place in Dick’s life (Rebirth Nightwing was a good showcase of this, as Damien felt extremely threatened when Dick got someone pregnant because he feared he might get ‘replaced’). Only Damien would think it makes sense to keep reaffirming your role in someone’s life by…fighting them.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.