Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadow6743 View Post
    If there is a Crisis it basically going to be like Zero Hour mostly everything stays the same. Some continuity things are fixed and something gets more confusing like maybe we will get 6 Hawkmen again. That was fun
    With these 5G rumors, isn't is possible that the upcoming Crisis kills/disappears/strands all the main heroes? You don't need a continuity reset if you just write all the problematic characters out of their books for a year or so (before bringing them back in the Newer Age of Heroes)
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

If there is a Crisis it basically going to be like Zero Hour mostly everything stays the same. Some continuity things are fixed and something gets more confusing like maybe we will get 6 Hawkmen again. That was fun
    Maybe everyone will cease to exist and be recreated again with minor tweaks.
    Complete with blank panels.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Fantastic Member

I would think that if DC Comics didn't like making money. Justice League sold really well and at the end of day DC is a company that wants your money. Titles do not exist because the publisher likes a character they exist because they have consistent sales. People may complain about Bendis Superman or King's Batman but as long as they sell DC does not care. Comics within current continuity are selling and as long as that is true no reboot.

I would think that if DC Comics didn't like making money. Justice League sold really well and at the end of day DC is a company that wants your money. Titles do not exist because the publisher likes a character they exist because they have consistent sales. People may complain about Bendis Superman or King's Batman but as long as they sell DC does not care. Comics within current continuity are selling and as long as that is true no reboot.
    Yep. But DC's making money isn't our motivation. I think most of us get the idea that DC is in this for their own bottom line, but when the Wednesday Warrior in me sees the week's pile I get all self-centered and go on about what I like. Hence the popularity of comic book newsgroups and such where I rant about the comics I like and not the ones that sell the best.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Wasn't there this whole thing about the market as a whole being down. And mangas taking over. I think that must be why they are doing this. I mean, mangas are standalone stories and comics are never ending.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Wasn't there this whole thing about the market as a whole being down. And mangas taking over. I think that must be why they are doing this. I mean, mangas are standalone stories and comics are never ending.
    I'm not sure why we're hearing all this buzz about mangas. They've been taking over for a long time while the direct market continues to slide downhill. This is nothing new (really just business as usual), unless there's been a unusually big shift recently?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Yep. But DC's making money isn't our motivation. I think most of us get the idea that DC is in this for their own bottom line, but when the Wednesday Warrior in me sees the week's pile I get all self-centered and go on about what I like. Hence the popularity of comic book newsgroups and such where I rant about the comics I like and not the ones that sell the best.
    Well, that is why consistent sales on a title are important. The one book I am guarentee to buy when it comes out is Teen Titans. Teen Titans avg sales numbers are 23,000. However, it recently got a boost to 26,000. Not the biggest sales numbers but DC Comics sees that they can make at least 23,000 to 26,000 sales on that book from comics shops. Not to mention it is typically always in the top 25 when it releases on comixology. Publishers care if a book as consistent sales. That's why Snyder gets to do more Justice League and Bendis gets to stay on Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm not sure why we're hearing all this buzz about mangas. They've been taking over for a long time while the direct market continues to slide downhill. This is nothing new (really just business as usual), unless there's been a unusually big shift recently?
    Someone had posted a forbes article here about people leaving superheroes behind.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The whole Manga vs. Superheroes debate reminds me of the hairbands of the eighties versus the grunge movement of the nineties. I remember an audiobook a heard years ago that talked about the music industry. It basically said that most of the hairbands honestly believed they'd be popular forever because they thought they were making "rebellious" music that teenagers would always be interested in. What didn't occur to them was that younger generations might not want to listen to their older brother's and sister's music. They wanted something all their own. Superheroes may just be seen as something your parents were into. Manga is seen as something for the younger generation. If something is around long enough, sooner or later the younger generations are going to lose interest in it. That may just be whats happening to superheroes. It's not seen as for kids anymore. All this talk about how when we were younger it wasn't cool to like comic books may have sent the message to younger readers that superheroes are an old folks genre. In other words, comics being cool now may have produced the opposite effect. They no longer are.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The whole Manga vs. Superheroes debate reminds me of the hairbands of the eighties versus the grunge movement of the nineties. I remember an audiobook a heard years ago that talked about the music industry. It basically said that most of the hairbands honestly believed they'd be popular forever because they thought they were making "rebellious" music that teenagers would always be interested in. What didn't occur to them was that younger generations might not want to listen to their older brother's and sister's music. They wanted something all their own. Superheroes may just be seen as something your parents were into. Manga is seen as something for the younger generation. If something is around long enough, sooner or later the younger generations are going to lose interest in it. That may just be whats happening to superheroes. It's not seen as for kids anymore. All this talk about how when we were younger it wasn't cool to like comic books may have sent the message to younger readers that superheroes are an old folks genre. In other words, comics being cool now may have produced the opposite effect. They no longer are.
    I wonder, if American comics industry guys even acknowledge the manga industry as any sort of competition? I have never seen anyone other than jorge jimmnez even talk about mangas.
    I don't think it's genre's problem though. Boku no hero and one punch man are consistently selling. They are both superhero genre.

I wonder, if American comics industry guys even acknowledge the manga industry as any sort of competition? I have never seen anyone other than jorge jimmnez even talk about mangas.
    I don't think it's genre's problem though. Boku no hero and one punch man are consistently selling. They are both superhero genre.
    Is it competition? I'm being serious. Do the same people read comics as manga - is it the same market? Or is more like competition with video games? Which, to be fair, is still competition (as, historically, were VHS and DVDs, and maybe even tv or radio, though with the broadcast nature, I'm not sure if they count the same). I guess the question is, if there were no manga around, would more people read comics, or would they just do other stuff? I know there's some overlap, at least, just not sure how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Is it competition? I'm being serious. Do the same people read comics as manga - is it the same market? Or is more like competition with video games? Which, to be fair, is still competition (as, historically, were VHS and DVDs, and maybe even tv or radio, though with the broadcast nature, I'm not sure if they count the same). I guess the question is, if there were no manga around, would more people read comics, or would they just do other stuff? I know there's some overlap, at least, just not sure how much.
    I don't know. they are both comics at the end of the day. While American comics is heavily focused on one genre. The mangas don't. They can be of different genres, for different age groups and even br gender specific(shonen for boys, shojo for girls loosely ) . If people are dropping comics and picking mangas. then i would say its competition.Forbes said comics market is loosing customers, while mangas are gaining. We don't know how much of that is like the ones i mentioned.

I don't know. they are both comics at the end of the day. While American comics is heavily focused on one genre. The mangas don't. They can be of different genres, for different age groups and even br gender specific(shonen for boys, shojo for girls loosely ) . If people are dropping comics and picking mangas. then i would say its competition.Forbes said comics market is loosing customers, while mangas are gaining. We don't know how much of that is like the ones i mentioned.
    Yeah, I don't think the problem is so much 'comics vs. manga' as it is 'superheroes vs. everything else'.
    Walking Dead and Saga fall in 'everything else' along with most of manga.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 10-20-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

The manga thing seems to be a lot more complicated than the Forbes article. The same company that supplied those figures also had manga sales falling by over 40% in usa between 2007 and 2010.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    That said, the name DARK CRISIS isn't exactly out of the question for what Crisis 2020 gets named. There's been a few things thrown around. Hyper-Crisis or Crisis in Hypertime ... Multi-Crisis ... yadda. Name-drops in the more cosmically minded writers' works.
    I don't mind DARK CRISIS as a title. But Snyder and Capullo didn't for some reason.