Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Really good interview lots of food for thought and its interesting that Nimrod created the black brain telepaths

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    Opinions like that make me wish I could be mind-wiped into never hearing about the "X-Men" franchise because of status quos like this, and the fact that I FEEL like their readership/fandom has toxic opinions. Kirby was right; comic books break hearts. I can feel mine doing so.
    It wasn't an opinion. I was stating what is established in the books. Humans in general hate mutants. If you can't handle that, then, indeed, X-Men comics aren't for you. I don't think anyone wants it to be that way, but you either want Hickman to stick to canon or you don't.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    It wasn't an opinion. I was stating what is established in the books. Humans in general hate mutants. If you can't handle that, then, indeed, X-Men comics aren't for you. I don't think anyone wants it to be that way, but you either want Hickman to stick to canon or you don't.
    Yes. As the status quo is now, it is REPULSIVELY NOT for me. Sorry if I'm losing my eloquence, but I've been spending all day in my workplace alternating between communicating my Krakoan frustrations on the boards and getting my quota work done. And my mind is shot at the multitasking but I just can't seem to LET THIS GO, against more rational judgment. Like Shirou Emiya denying Archer EMIYA's existence.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

BANNED

Opinions like that make me wish I could be mind-wiped into never hearing about the "X-Men" franchise because of status quos like this, and the fact that I FEEL like their readership/fandom has toxic opinions. Kirby was right; comic books break hearts. I can feel mine doing so.
    Hey now this has been the basic premise of the mutants from the beginning at least in the 616 earth so what can you do but accept it. The world of X-Men might seem a bleak and despairing world but there are alternate realities where it's not all doom and gloom and mutants are actually pretty much accepted and respected part of the MU.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Im glad that Hickman thinks Cyclops is in his 30's. So do I.

My head cannon is 33-35.
    Indeed he just has to be at least 32. This is one of the reasons I distrust the way some editors think about time and especially the sliding timeline. If they were still using the 4 for one rule he would be around 32 so clearly they are not using it anymore.

I don’t mind that the sliding timeline has been abandoned but there is no real reason to compress time more than necessary. Cyclops’ story is one of those that has demonstrated growth and maturity over the decades and that to me suggests a certain age.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

The problem with Scott's age is that it is canonical that he is from the same generation as Peter Parker (and Jean, Emma, Mary Jane, Archangel...). And although for many years their "life cycles" were similar (Weddings, maturity, death of loved ones ...), Peter was beaten by One More Day that returned him to a status quo that works better with Peter being younger.

The problem is divergent characters evolution. The X-Men kept moving forward, Spider-man no. But Scott and Peter are supposed to be the same age. And that's why inconsistencies are born. If you look, in comics like Secret Wars (the original), characters like Hulk or the Thing call Scott "boy." He was obviously younger than Steve Rogers, for example.
    Last edited by Glio; 10-15-2019 at 05:21 AM.

Great interview, respect. This is how you do an interview. You can tell he may not care what side your on but he definitely cares about the work and that the only thing one can truly ask for. Not many would take their time and not only combine questions but also expound on them as well. I feel like i would have a great time sitting in a room with him talking x-men in general.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

An "Alien Space Bat" ATL timeline from alternatehistory.com had the 1990s Marvel Comics offices decide to dial down on the sliding timeline, after they "magically" receive copies of their comics from year 2000 and beyond (along with many notable media/entertainment companies and individual celebrities getting samples of their future works), and see the "crap" that passes for X-Men stories since then. It makes for relaxing reading whenever the ongoing X-attitudes wear me down, though the timeline can only devote so much to Marvel. It also featured Perlmutter dying in a plane crash and Bendis getting pirated by DC early.

"I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    The problem with Scott's age is that it is canonical that he is from the same generation as Peter Parker (and Jean, Emma, Mary Jane, Archangel...). And although for many years their "life cycles" were similar (Weddings, maturity, death of loved ones ...), Peter was beaten by One More Day that returned him to a status quo that works better with Peter being younger.

The problem is divergent characters evolution. The X-Men kept moving forward, Spider-man no. But Scott and Peter are supposed to be the same age. And that's why inconsistencies are born. If you look, in comics like Secret Wars (the original), characters like Hulk or the Thing call Scott "boy." He was obviously younger than Steve Rogers, for example.
    Exactly. No matter how much fans or some creators may see it, ultimately Marvel owns the characters, and they say Peter Parker is at most 26-28, meaning Cyclops can't be over 30, so JDW is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Exactly. No matter how much fans or some creators may see it, ultimately Marvel owns the characters, and they say Peter Parker is at most 26-28, meaning Cyclops can't be over 30, so JDW is right.
    (When "Marvel" says that Peter Parker is 28 years old, it is also a creator who is saying it).

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    (When "Marvel" says that Peter Parker is 28 years old, it is also a creator who is saying it).
    I can so see it.

Hickman "Hey, cyclops is like 35, right?"

JDW: "whoa, whoa, 35?! That's way too old Franklin is still only pre teen."

Hickman: "Frankin's not 20?"

JDW: "Sliding time scale, it slides based on needs, so scott would be like 28."

Hickman: "28? That makes no sense."

JDW:"Sliding timescale..."

Hickman: "Didn't bendis create a character named Tempus, that has time powers."

JDW: "Yeah she's a limbo, such a broken character. Why?"

Hickman: 'You'll see."

After convo Hickman twitter
    "X-MEN CANON IS A MESS!!!"

lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

What toxic opinions?

BANNED

An "Alien Space Bat" ATL timeline from alternatehistory.com had the 1990s Marvel Comics offices decide to dial down on the sliding timeline, after they "magically" receive copies of their comics from year 2000 and beyond (along with many notable media/entertainment companies and individual celebrities getting samples of their future works), and see the "crap" that passes for X-Men stories since then. It makes for relaxing reading whenever the ongoing X-attitudes wear me down, though the timeline can only devote so much to Marvel. It also featured Perlmutter dying in a plane crash and Bendis getting pirated by DC early.
    Remember you are a casual comic Fan and don't take these things so seriously that it saddens you. Ultimately every fandom has foxic elements but you must not get caught in a cycle where you just feed into it by becoming part of the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Remember you are a casual comic Fan and don't take these things so seriously that it saddens you. Ultimately every fandom has foxic elements but you must not get caught in a cycle where you just feed into it by becoming part of the cycle.
    "The Scorpion and The Frog." The drowning scorpion says, "I know, BUT I JUST CAN'T HELP IT!"

BANNED

"The Scorpion and The Frog." The drowning scorpion says, "I know, BUT I JUST CAN'T HELP IT!"
    To be or not to be that's the question.
    So are you planning to take arms against a Sea of Troubles or suffer in silence the slings and arrows of outrageous comicdom?