Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default "Then Stop Whinging" – Ruby Summers Appreciation 2019

There's been far more obscure characters to get Appreciation threads, so I figured, why not give Ruby her due?

Created in 2008 by longtime X-Scribe Peter A. David and artist Valentine De Landro, Ruby hails from Earth-1191. You can probably guess who her parents are. First appearing in X-Factor Special: Layla Miller, Ruby went on to co-star in X-Factor (Vol. 3) #41-50, as a founding member and leader of the Summers Rebellion. The Summers Rebellion fought a desperate struggle for survival against those who would exterminate Mutantkind.

In 2015, PAD would create an alternate version of Ruby in Future Imperfect. Set on Battleworld during the Secret Wars event, Ruby hailed from the realm of Dystopia (Earth-69413). In this world, Ruby rebelled not against mutant extermination, but the tyranny of the mad Hulk known as Maestro.

I used to love Ruby! She's one character that I would love to see back. She had nice powers, a great personality and visually she worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I used to love Ruby! She's one character that I would love to see back. She had nice powers, a great personality and visually she worked very well.
    I've hoped for years now that they'll bring her into 616 on a permanent basis a la Rachel and Bishop.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I've hoped for years now that they'll bring her into 616 on a permanent basis a la Rachel and Bishop.
    I wonder how she would interact with Emma. And how Emma would react with all the mess that has happened with Scott.

Mighty Member

Amen for more Ruby Summers! Hope another writer picks her up and finds a way to bring her to 616
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

I'm not sure I'd want her to be a regular on the main continuity, but I'd definitely want her to meet Rachel and maybe join a new Exiles.

Good to see a RUby thread.

I'd like her to meet her younger parents. Specially Emma. WOuld be hilarious.

THen maybe the Xmen help her set up a Good Mutant future for an arc before she leaves for good.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I want her to relocate permanently and I will die on this hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I wonder how she would interact with Emma. And how Emma would react with all the mess that has happened with Scott.
    Honestly, I think this is the most time most rich in dramatic opportunities for such a thing that we've seen since she was created.

Never a fan of Greg Land, but this was still a cool page in Future Imperfect.

Oh, Land. Looks like her head and chest should not be on the same person as the lower part of her body. Her waist is a child's.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Oh, Land. Looks like her head and chest should not be on the same person as the lower part of her body. Her waist is a child's.
    Yeah... it's a good moment at least, not PAD's fault he was stuck with Land.

Ultimate Member

Ah, Ruby Summers, along with Rachel, one of my two favorite Summer's spawn!

I love the synergy between the powers of her parents. The ruby form was inspired, and I love her for having at least some indication that Scott was one of her parents, instead of all of his other future-spawn, who seem to be telepath/telekinetics who could have been cloned from Jean without any input at all from him.

Innn, she's my favorite Summers child and alt universe/future character.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

Here's a question: say Ruby does end up in 616, is she distinct enough from Scott that she can be her own character? What I mean is, one of the reasons cited why Rachel is sidelined when Jean is in the mix because they are indistinguishable power-wise.

I'd like to think Ruby fulfills both bruiser and blaster role whereas Scott is more blaster and tactician, so the two could co-exist in a team without much redundancy. What do you all think?
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Here's a question: say Ruby does end up in 616, is she distinct enough from Scott that she can be her own character? What I mean is, one of the reasons cited why Rachel is sidelined when Jean is in the mix because they are indistinguishable power-wise.

I'd like to think Ruby fulfills both bruiser and blaster role whereas Scott is more blaster and tactician, so the two could co-exist in a team without much redundancy. What do you all think?
    Well, considering her powers are a mixture of her parents, she does have an opportunity to avoid a similar situation like other legacy heroes. On the other hand, I think it all comes down to her personality and whether or not a writer can willingly think of a way to utilize the character apart from a Scott/Emma stand in.

Either way, I think it would be nice if the character was utilized in some way instead of staying in limbo. Even if it was only for a short arc.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia