Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

So he said that Jean's costume does have an story reason.
    Maybe she will go phoenix after all

murphy leigh (@_murphyleigh) asked: Can you explain why you’ve smashed Genosha, House of M, “Messiah Complex,” the Utopia period, the Schism, all of Wolverine and the X-Men, Secret Wars II, Civil War II, IVX, and Uncanny X-Men vol. 5 into a three-year period for Moira X? It doesn’t make sense in a book so fixed on time passing.

Jonathan: You’re right. The math doesn’t work. The math also doesn’t work for a single other long-running book in the Marvel universe.

I personally don’t believe that those things took place in that duration of time, but on a sliding continuity timeline, I’m also wrong.

I’ve said this elsewhere, but my editor Jordan White is completely convinced that Cyclops is in his late 20s. I’m convinced that he’s in his mid-30s (how could he not be?). But the truth is, depending on which story metrics you use, we’re both right and both wrong. It’s Schrödinger’s birthday. What are you going to do?

Maybe don’t stare at the sun.

Mitchell Haddad (@mitchhimself) asked: I want to ask Hickman if he believes the sum total of backed up memories and psionic engrams is the same as a mutant’s soul? I love this series but the scene with Storm welcoming the resurrected back sits uneasily in my mind.

Jonathan: The afterlife is ‘technically’ part of Marvel continuity (and Jack Kirby is ‘technically’ ‘God’), so if you want to make an argument that there’s strict Judeo-Christian set of post-death rules for a resurrection to result in a soul-reclaimed and soul-equipped being, then cool.

The problem is that we don’t do that. Almost every single character death we undo, or character we bring back through whatever story construct or general shenanigans doesn’t go on a soul quest to recover their essence (in the past, yes, sometimes, but not anymore–imagine if we did that nowadays in our current death-resurrection cycle, that’s a lotta issues).

Now, if you want to make the argument that recovering your soul is a lot like William Gibson’s explanation for jet lag (souls don’t travel at the same speed as planes so jet lag is just your body waiting for the soul to catch up), and it’s just floating around waiting to reattach itself to it’s rightful reanimated host, also cool.

But if that’s the case then what about duplicate copies, which one gets the soul? I dunno, that sounds like a story to me, but that’s also why they’re not allowing copies of characters on Krakoa. But what if there’s a mistake and you think someone’s dead, but make a copy anyway? Well, again, that sounds like a story… and we even have a series built around resurrection problems coming out next year.

The broader point is we bring back characters all the time in much less elegant ways, and this one is actually based on an experience Professor Xavier had in earlier X-Men comics, so it makes sense he would think of something like this. He knew it worked.

As for the reason it seems creepy, well, it feels that way because we did all the resurrections at (generally) the same time and presented it as a ceremonial. It feels religious. It feels other. It feels terrifying. Unless you’re them, and then it feels ascendant.

It feels like victory.

Anyway, the issue you’re looking for is (I think) X-Men #7 (it’s the one with Apocalypse and Nightcrawler on the cover). This will cover all the life-death-resurrection-soul questions.

So 2 new books coming up: one about Moira and other about the resurrections.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I'm still not a fan of skipping certain reunions. Many characters didn't see each other for years

A book that’s dealing with resurrection troubles, that’s gonna be super fun.

Also, he implies that Monet being able to become Penance is a result of a resurrection so should we understand this is her second time through the process?

Woah there was a lot in this interview.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

"Jonathan: The list of Omega Level mutants is complete and set in stone. Anyone who isn’t on the list isn’t one, and there won’t be any new Omega Level characters created for quite some time. There are way too many overcooked characters as is right now. "

"Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    "Jonathan: The list of Omega Level mutants is complete and set in stone. Anyone who isn’t on the list isn’t one, and there won’t be any new Omega Level characters created for quite some time. There are way too many overcooked characters as is right now. "

That sentence could raise hell.

What does "overcooked characters" mean?

“Jonathan: Dauterman is actually doing some Jean stuff now and she’s wearing a version of one of her newer suits (but colored green and gold, as all Jean costumes should be).”

“ Jonathan: Good question. In the same way that we aren’t going to be doing alternate reality stores or time travel stories, we’re also not going to be doing pre-Krakoa stories.”

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Joe Glass acting as if Kurt was going around the place forcing mutants to get busy. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    What does "overcooked characters" mean?
    He probably meant "overused" but I don't speak American.

EDIT: I don't get the Jean hint. Hickman pls. Throw me more bones.
    "Cable was right!"

I kinda love how he answers the questions lol. He essentially called everyone out on Wolverine's adamantium question as being a stupid question.

"What the more interesting question is is why does Cyclops need a visor? Why doesn’t Chamber have a jaw? Does the imprinting of the backup of their mind mean they have to be broken in that familiar way to actually be them?

And we’ve already shown a couple of interesting tweaks like Monet being able to assume a Penance form and Warren being able to be both regular angel and Archangel. So there seems to be some ability to tweak the finished version of a resurrected mutant. Is that also true about their age? Or about other aspects of their physical condition? What about their gender? What about if they want to be backed up from an earlier version? One that hasn’t suffered a particular trauma or had their heart broken?

Regardless, these all sound like stories to me.

And we don’t tell them for free.
    " BIIIIISH

The interview also showcased how many stories they can actually tell now.