Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

He doesn't have much of an ego, it's just that talking about the work/not letting it speak for itself always gives him hives.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    I’m surprised at how people seem to have missed the hidden answer in his Namor answer.
    Exactly. He makes it very clear Namor will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    He doesn't have much of an ego, it's just that talking about the work/not letting it speak for itself always gives him hives.
    What others are calling ‘arrogance’ or ‘ego’, I’m calling frustration and annoyance at people asking questions that basically amount to, “Cool story, bro. Can you spoil these plot points of your complex plot line and upcoming story and character arcs for me and everyone else?” Or “Can you answer this totally irrelevant question about the minutiae of a character I act like I own?”
    Last edited by zinderel; 10-14-2019 at 10:02 PM.

BANNED

He's straight up. I prefer it to 90% of comic book interviews, which are almost always worthless bad jokes and 'stay tuned, true believers!'

Hickman so condescending. Lols.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Mighty Member

I would guess this is Jean during or right after Inferno. That would make sense with the quote from inferno when storm asks if it’s really her and she would have gotten her telepathy back by then, but it wasn’t as strong.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    He's straight up. I prefer it to 90% of comic book interviews, which are almost always worthless bad jokes and 'stay tuned, true believers!'
    Agreed. His responses didn't come across as condescending to me; he even came right out and admitted that some of the issues readers had noticed were straight-up mistakes or compromises on the creative end of things. I didn't read him as talking down as much as being very blunt about approaching the Q&A with a writer's priorities - craft-wise and business-wise. I think a good bit of the upset is that he's being a lot more straight forward about the fact that fan priorities involving the minutiae of storytelling usually aren't going to be high priority for a writer, especially not one who's doing the broad strokes of world-building in the first chapters of a story. The fact that some of the questions seem to boil down to "Hey, didn't you think about this very obvious thing before you wrote it into your story? Why wasn't it covered?" probably didn't help with his not being inclined to softshoe matters.

Anyway. I loved this bit of the "make more mutants" answer:

And this is tangential, but in that vein, I do want to point out that story-wise we’re also leaning into the fact that there are going to be thousands of mutant children showing up on Krakoa in search of their mutant family. So while a spirit of adoption isn’t really what you were asking about, I do think it matters contextually as what we’re talking about here is a communal parent/child relationship and what flows from that into the next generation.
    Found family themes do it for me every damn time.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 10-14-2019 at 10:50 PM.

BANNED

From his answer to the Jean question it looks like we were supposed to figure it out easily. So my guess is it was just a way to tease her imminent death like in DPS. Her conversation with Penance in the spaceship and Monet sacrificing herself to save Jean also clearly called back to Jean dying in the space shuttle to save her teammates. Here, ironically, she's the last one to die. And just like Jean came back then, she did so again.

BANNED

I think if it was that simple Jean wouldn't still be in that costume. IMO it's something else, and likely about either receiving the Phoenix or having a different mental upload. Moira, Xavier and Magneto now all know one of the only two things the Phalanx/Dominions fear is the Phoenix. And this seems like the contemporary Jean to me.

BANNED

You might be right abt Phoenix. Penance "Idk Marvel GIRL, try harder" always struck me as subtly calling out Jean for rejecting the Phoenix. Its pure conjecture and who knows if Hickman will even acknowledge Phoenix Resurrection but the entire Orchis mission was reminiscent of the Phoenix saga. Except here Jean felt she could do better by herself and everyone ended up dying. Idk.

Anyway welcome back <3

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Yes, but God forbid there is any positive aspect to anything Hickman does to Jean, since he supposedly hates her.
    Lmaooo seriously these Emma stan writers *eye roll*

But my serious guess is that, unless this is actually hinting at a major change, that Jean is using this as a way to mark “new beginnings.” And although we’ll probably never revisit AOXM again, it’s interesting to note that this was also an outfit she wore during that supposed utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I think the quote from her moment with Storm could be explained as something she's just likely to say when her identity is questioned and I don't know why putting down Sabretooth would be a big deal but I've just remembered that I'm probably wrong here for another reason:

That beer sharing olive branch to Emma wouldn't mean anything to a pre-2000s Jean.
    That too.

Spectacular Member

Oh my gosh why are you so blind and hyped by Hickman's words here? The guy said he regressed the X-Men to loser state, he wanted to do a new Phoenix Saga AGAIN(as like we don't have enough Phoenix stuffs related this last 10 years), a new clone saga with the X-Men and his stupid definition of Omega mutants which contradicts itself!
    RIP X-MEN this is what I say!
    Hicky doesn't care about continuity and he said it clearly. He CAN'T characterize the X-men so he made them as he wanted. That's why they are out of characterization in his event! This is a story with people who look like the X-Men BUT DON'T ACT LIKE THEM! That's why we have this feeling of an alternate reality. Unfortunately it's the 616-verse and we stuck with this for years!
    He weakened the X-Men why not doing the same with Avengers or FF??? Avengers definitively need it with all the overpowered ones in their team! How the X-men can be considered a thing when he regressed their general power levels for ALL of them except his favs?

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

And this is tangential, but in that vein, I do want to point out that story-wise we’re also leaning into the fact that there are going to be thousands of mutant children showing up on Krakoa in search of their mutant family. So while a spirit of adoption isn’t really what you were asking about, I do think it matters contextually as what we’re talking about here is a communal parent/child relationship and what flows from that into the next generation.
    Where do the thousands of mutant children headed to Krakoa come from? Taken from their human families, probably. Sure, some might be happy, but what of the OOC parents that do care for their mutant child, but might be compelled to give him up to Krakoa where they can't follow for being sapiens instead of superior? Could it be that Krakoa wants to get the mutants early so they do not grow acclimated to human society and therefore at-risk? That they should only experience the Krakoan mutant culture/lifestyle from an early age?
    Last edited by Londo Bellian; 10-15-2019 at 01:55 AM.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

BANNED

All roads lead to Krakoa for mutants, Sirs and Madams.There is nothing wrong with your child. Do not attempt to adjust your parenting. We are taking control of all your worries. If We wish to raise them faster we will do so. If We wish to raise them normally,we will do so. We will control the horizontal growth. We will control the vertical growth. You child is about to participate in a great mutant experience. WE ARE ALL MUTANTS!!!!!
    Parents: Don't call us we will call you.
    *Flee*

Quote Originally Posted by fridric View Post
    Oh my gosh why are you so blind and hyped by Hickman's words here? The guy said he regressed the X-Men to loser state, he wanted to do a new Phoenix Saga AGAIN(as like we don't have enough Phoenix stuffs related this last 10 years), a new clone saga with the X-Men and his stupid definition of Omega mutants which contradicts itself!
    RIP X-MEN this is what I say!
    Hicky doesn't care about continuity and he said it clearly. He CAN'T characterize the X-men so he made them as he wanted. That's why they are out of characterization in his event! This is a story with people who look like the X-Men BUT DON'T ACT LIKE THEM! That's why we have this feeling of an alternate reality. Unfortunately it's the 616-verse and we stuck with this for years!
    He weakened the X-Men why not doing the same with Avengers or FF??? Avengers definitively need it with all the overpowered ones in their team! How the X-men can be considered a thing when he regressed their general power levels for ALL of them except his favs?
    It really is impossible to tell the difference between satire and genuine extreme opinion nowadays.