Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    My question is why it still needs to be Selina Kyle? We’ve already had seen her on the big screen for 2 times (3 if you think the 60s Batman movie’s version was Kyle). Couldn’t they have used Holly or Eiko?
    Probably for the same reason the Batman has to be Bruce Wayne instead of Terry McGinnis. How many times have we seen Bruce Wayne as Batman if we want to complain about over saturation.

That feeling when you assumed the detractors would be racist but were instead heightist.
    Probably because we are used to black women playing Catwoman but not short women.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Probably for the same reason the Batman has to be Bruce Wayne instead of Terry McGinnis. How many times have we seen Bruce Wayne as Batman if we want to complain about over saturation.

Probably because we are used to black women playing Catwoman but not short women.

but those Catwomen aren't black any way
    Halle Berry, Eartha Kitt, and Zoe Kravitz are mixed African,European people like myself

there are no such thing as black and white races any way
    they are social constructs with no scientific basis created out of ignorance of the diversity of human beings and Northwestern European Supremacy
    the race classification system was created by American doctor, scientist Samuel Morton based on Craniometry in the early 19th Century
    he believed that race classification was a divine hierarchy with Caucasoid at the top and Negroid at the bottom
    Last edited by Starrius; 10-28-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    but those Catwomen aren't black any way
    Halle Berry, Eartha Kitt, and Zoe Kravitz are mixed African,European people like myself

there are no such thing as black and white races any way
    they are social constructs with no scientific basis created out of ignorance of the diversity of human beings and Northwestern European Supremacy
    the race classification system was created by American doctor, scientist Samuel Morton based on Craniometry in the early 19th Century
    he believed that race classification was a divine hierarchy with Caucasoid at the top and Negroid at the bottom
    Ah, yes, the infamous "one drop" rule (law in certain areas). You bring up a valid point
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post

Agreed. Catwoman has always been racially ambiguous to me but no incarnation of her character have I ever imagined her as short.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

A solo movie for Selina would be better. Catwoman and Batman has been done two times in movies already. This way they could do something original with Catwoman like adapt the Brubaker stories and introduce Slam Bradley. If the movie is about Batman starting his crusade he won't have time for a relationship.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    A solo movie for Selina would be better. Catwoman and Batman has been done two times in movies already. This way they could do something original with Catwoman like adapt the Brubaker stories and introduce Slam Bradley. If the movie is about Batman starting his crusade he won't have time for a relationship.
    Now that the Joker movie is a smash hit, anything’s possible. I actually have a few ideas on how I’d do that and some of them are based on Brubaker’s take, which is the definitive one imo.

Retired

For the longest time Catwoman didn't have a known identity. She would show up in different guises. Her origins were just as mysterious as the Joker's.

I like to think that the Catwomen on the 1966 BATMAN series are different women. I forget if their real names were ever revealed. In BATMAN THE MOVIE, Lee Meriwether is Kitka.

I figured Miss Kitka was just an alias.

Now that the Joker movie is a smash hit, anything’s possible. I actually have a few ideas on how I’d do that and some of them are based on Brubaker’s take, which is the definitive one imo.
    Outstanding how Joker won against the woke culture. The woke culture could ruin a Catwoman solo outing. Batwoman is going down inflames as people think the character is too woke. Let's all just see how Zoe does in the role before we start seriously talking about a solo movie for Catwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Outstanding how Joker won against the woke culture. The woke culture could ruin a Catwoman solo outing. Batwoman is going down inflames as people think the character is too woke. Let's all just see how Zoe does in the role before we start seriously talking about a solo movie for Catwoman.
    What is woke culture? Is that anything that isn't exclusively all about straight white males?

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I was typing in response to Monica Baccarin would have been good choice if 10 years ago.
    I meant that Eva Green would have done great as Catwoman if it was 10 years ago.

Zoe Kravitz is multiracial

her father, Lenny Kravitz is the son of an Ashkenazi Jewish man and African American woman
    her mother, Lisa Bonet is the son of an African American man and Ashkenazi Jewish woman

another thing is that most African Americans are actually multiracial for most of them have European ancestry in connection to slavery
    My father was an African American born and raised in New Orleans, and he had a 3rd great grandfather who was the son of Anglo-American slaveowner and Cajun woman.

I am multiracial too, and I identify as multiracial instead of black.
    The hypo-descent rule aka one drop rule is outdated,racist,and stupid.
    Black and white races are social constructs and disregard how diverse Africa, Europe,and Asia are.

I actually wanted Logan Browning to play Catwoman after finding out that a "black" or biracial women were being screened.
    Logan Browning is a green-eyed biracial woman.
    Her father is African American, and her mother is European American.

I read about Zoe Kravitz being good friends with Robert Pattinson, and so they could have great chemistry.
    I am looking forward to seeing their BatCat on the large screen.

Hispanics greatly vary in looks and ancestry
    there is no typical looking Hispanic
    Most Hispanics are multiracial.
    Many of them are mixed European,Amerindian,and/or SubSaharan African.
    Zoe Saldana is a perfect example of the multiracial ancestry of many Hispanics.
    There are Hispanics that have a lot more SubSaharan African than Zoe.
    If you include Latinos, then there are Brazilians to consider.
    Many of them are dominantly SubSaharan African.
    Most of the SubSaharan Africans brought to the Americas went to Brazil which was controlled by the Portuguese.

I am part Hispanic myself.
    My maternal grandfather's maternal grandfather was Puerto Rican, and he looked multiracial.
    My maternal grandfather also had other mixed Iberian-SubSaharan African ancestries from Cape Verde and Madeira which are both Atlantic archipelagos that have strong Portuguese influence. Cape Verde is an independent African nation that gained its independence from Portugal, and Madeira is still a Portuguese colony.
    Does she identify as multiracial? She answered a casting call for a black Catwoman not a multiracial [which covers a very wide range]

Not sure why you feel the need to assign her a label.
    I agree that the one drop rule is racist but in Hollywood [relevant here] black multiracial is Black. Hence why Halle a multiracial woman is seen and sees herself as the 1st Black woman to win an Oscar not the 1st multiracial woman to win an Oscar.

Most prominent Black actresses working right now are multiracial but they still are considered and tick the black box.

My kids are multiracial and they identify as black.
    Lenny identifies as Black
    I don't know what Bonet identifies as these days but back in her different world days she identified as Black.

Spectacular Member Huntsman1117's Avatar

I like Zoey Kravitz in "Fantastic Beasts" and "Big Little Lies" and I was happy to hear she was cast as Catwoman. I think she can give Catwoman a darker, moodier, and more troubled character portrayal. I doubt she'll be a fun, playful Catwoman like that of the 1993 comic series, but more serious and brooding, the way we see her in the 2001 and 2018 series. I saw a few posts on social media saying that Matt Reeves is using "The Long Halloween" as an inspiration for his movie, which is exciting even if it's just a rumor. And there are a few reports that Reeves wants to give Kravitz's Catwoman a spin-off solo movie of her own if "The Batman" is successful, so this is a good time to get excited about Kravitz's Catwoman. I can't stop trying to imagine Kravitz performing as the Catwoman of "The Long Halloween" and of "Hush", both written by Jeph Loeb of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman1117 View Post
    I like Zoey Kravitz in "Fantastic Beasts" and "Big Little Lies" and I was happy to hear she was cast as Catwoman. I think she can give Catwoman a darker, moodier, and more troubled character portrayal. I doubt she'll be a fun, playful Catwoman like that of the 1993 comic series, but more serious and brooding, the way we see her in the 2001 and 2018 series. I saw a few posts on social media saying that Matt Reeves is using "The Long Halloween" as an inspiration for his movie, which is exciting even if it's just a rumor. And there are a few reports that Reeves wants to give Kravitz's Catwoman a spin-off solo movie of her own if "The Batman" is successful, so this is a good time to get excited about Kravitz's Catwoman. I can't stop trying to imagine Kravitz performing as the Catwoman of "The Long Halloween" and of "Hush", both written by Jeph Loeb of course.
    Reeves being interested in a Catwoman spin-off makes sense as he cited Darwyn Cooke's Ego as one of his favorite stories. Ego was collected in trade paperback form titled Ego and Other Tails, with the "Other Tails" part referring to Selina's Big Score, one of the best Catwoman stories of all time.

And if Reeves has read The Long Halloween/Dark Victory, I'm guessing he also came across Catwoman: When In Rome.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Agreed. Catwoman has always been racially ambiguous to me but no incarnation of her character have I ever imagined her as short.
    DC Super Hero Girls has Catwoman as a black female. So there is another version to toss out there.

What is woke culture? Is that anything that isn't exclusively all about straight white males?
    It is hard to explain what it is because so many have taken the term and ran with it to whatever fits their agenda.
    In this case-the woke folks don't mind Zoe in The Batman. However they would come out with CLAWS out attacking her if she did a Catwoman movie.
    This is what you would hear-

Why is there a light skinned woman playing Catwoman yet AGAIN. There are dark women like Eartha Kit out there.
    That right there ALONE is enough of a fire starter.

Now lets say John Ridley was hired to write the screenplay.
    Why is that man writing about a black woman when he's NOT married to one?

That is one version of woke culture. It's that desperation for something yet you want it to fit YOUR terms. Especially at the expense of others.

Coats Black Panther
    CW's Black Lighting
    The calls to kill of Lucas on Stranger Things and replace him with his sister
    The character assassination of Chuck Clayton on Riverdale.

Are other examples.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Does she identify as multiracial? She answered a casting call for a black Catwoman not a multiracial [which covers a very wide range]

Not sure why you feel the need to assign her a label.
    I agree that the one drop rule is racist but in Hollywood [relevant here] black multiracial is Black. Hence why Halle a multiracial woman is seen and sees herself as the 1st Black woman to win an Oscar not the 1st multiracial woman to win an Oscar.

Most prominent Black actresses working right now are multiracial but they still are considered and tick the black box.

My kids are multiracial and they identify as black.
    Lenny identifies as Black
    I don't know what Bonet identifies as these days but back in her different world days she identified as Black.

Since 2015, I do not use terms, white and black for race. They are social constructs created out of racism and have led to even more racism. Africa is extremely multiethnic. There are thousands of ethnic groups in Africa including over 250 in Nigeria alone. There is a lot of diversity on the other continents too. For example, there are over 50 ethnic groups in China. Samuel Morton came up with the classifications based on B.S. craniometry. He believes that the race classifications had hierarchy with Caucasoid at the top and Negroid at the bottom. There is not any scientific basis for the race classifications that are deeply entrenched in society. Theory of Evolution makes it all look ridiculous because all humans started in Africa. Every human being on this planet has African genes.

The one drop rule is an outdated, racist, and stupid rule which was created to prevent more mixing between "whites" and "non-whites" starting in the 1690s. Of course, race-mixing happened a lot in slavery period with a vast majority of it being from rape. The hypodescent rule was about being ruled inferior for having additional ancestry other than "white". I have always identified as multiracial because that's what I am and have always known with my having a mother that is mostly European. I was always told that my African American father was from New Orleans and that his mother had some French Creole ancestry. After learning about the history of one drop rule, I have a strong disdain for it. I do not believe that it should be enforced nor promoted in any type of way for it be like condoning and supporting the race supremacist policies and the anti-miscegenation laws which have been illegal since June 12, 1967 Loving vs. Virginia Supreme Court ruling.

There is a lot of denial of the race mixing here in USA to the point that only 2.9 percent identified as multiracial on the 2010 Census. Most African Americans and most Latinos are multiracial. Therefore, the multiracial population has to be far more than 2.9 percent of the population. Most Americans will be multiracial by the end of this 21st Century. Every person is mixed in some kind of way like all of us aren't full Homo Sapiens. We have some Neanderthal, Denisovan, and/or other archaic human in our DNA.

Lets make no mistake. Even though race is a social construct, racism is real. Racism is here in USA. It is one of the Three Evils of Society along with Poverty and Militarism that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. believed were strongly connected to each other and deeply entrenched in American society. USA is a nation of great diversity, but it is also a nation of great discord. Diversity is not the problem. It is the intolerance of diversity that is the problem. I truly believe that diversity can be a strength if we can find common ground through our shared humanity. DNA-wise, we humans are over 99 percent alike.
    Last edited by Starrius; 11-10-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.