View Poll Results: How much will JOKER make at the WORLDWIDE box office?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • $700-799 million

2 5.88%
  • $800-850 million

6 17.65%
  • $851-899 million

3 8.82%
  • $900-950 million

2 5.88%
  • $951-999 million

3 8.82%
  • $1 BILLION or more

18 52.94%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Joker really isn't a comic book movie at all, its a movie with comic book references tacked on. I went and saw it last night, contributing to more box office. It was fairly well attended for a Wednesday night over a month after release.
    No it's a comic book movie it's just not a super hero movie that's the difference.

Here's another feather in Joker's box office cap:

Joker will be Warner Bros. number 1 movie for 2019 both domestically and globally as Warner only has 2 releases left this year: Richard Jewell and Just Mercy -- 2 dramas that won't get anywhere near Joker's heights.

This refers to movies released this year. Movies like Aquaman that did most of their business in 2019, but were released in 2018 are counted in that year.

Still, I think Joker's take is now ahead of Aquaman's 2019-only take.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's another feather in Joker's box office cap:

Joker will be Warner Bros. number 1 movie for 2019 both domestically and globally as Warner only has 2 releases left this year: Richard Jewell and Just Mercy -- 2 dramas that won't get anywhere near Joker's heights.

This refers to movies released this year. Movies like Aquaman that did most of their business in 2019, but were released in 2018 are counted in that year.

Still, I think Joker's take is now ahead of Aquaman's 2019-only take.
    Hard to believe Aquaman is DC's highest money maker and Joker is third. But it is possible Joker could even pass The Dark Knight Rises and be the 2nd highest DC movie.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Hopefully this is a sign that the audience is moving towards a more sophisticated CBM and away from this MCU cartoonish silliness.
    Why do you guys keep doing this? Does every comic book movie made have to be for you? Aren't you happy with different styles of movies being made isn't a great world where Marvel is cranking out good fun movies and DCEU is finally cranking good "mature" movies, Valiant is sneaking out Bloodshot, and bunch of other comic book stuff are being made as well?

Joker isn't my style of movie but I am happy it was made and it was massive success I hope more of that style of movie is made. You would almost swear that some of you guys work for these companies considering how hard you guys are going in for them. I will take some time out to remind people that Marvel isn't the company making movies in 2020.

Sony in Morbius and Venom
    DC Wonder Woman 1984 and Harley Quinn(and maybe Green Lantern)
    Valiant has Bloodshot
    Paramount has G.I. Joe: Ever Vigilant

We are in Golden age of Sci fi and other genre films. And people keep whining that one company isn't making the style of movie they freaking like as if they are no choice for them. And on tv we have stuff like the Boys, Umbrella Academy, Titans, Doom Patrol, Watchmen, The Rook, Raising Dion and upcoming stuff like Jupiter Legacy, Vagrant Queen, Locke & Key, Snowpiercer, Y, Witchblade,etc don't exist. Anyways sucks for you guys I am looking forward to Batman in DCEU and Black Widow from Marvel. You can enjoy more than one type of thing. I repeat you can enjoy more than one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Why do you guys keep doing this? Does every comic book movie made have to be for you? Aren't you happy with different styles of movies being made isn't a great world where Marvel is cranking out good fun movies and DCEU is finally cranking good "mature" movies, Valiant is sneaking out Bloodshot, and bunch of other comic book stuff are being made as well?

Joker isn't my style of movie but I am happy it was made and it was massive success I hope more of that style of movie is made. You would almost swear that some of you guys work for these companies considering how hard you guys are going in for them. I will take some time out to remind people that Marvel isn't the company making movies in 2020.

Sony in Morbius and Venom
    DC Wonder Woman 1984 and Harley Quinn(and maybe Green Lantern)
    Valiant has Bloodshot
    Paramount has G.I. Joe: Ever Vigilant

We are in Golden age of Sci fi and other genre films. And people keep whining that one company isn't making the style of movie they freaking like as if they are no choice for them. And on tv we have stuff like the Boys, Umbrella Academy, Titans, Doom Patrol, Watchmen, The Rook, Raising Dion and upcoming stuff like Jupiter Legacy, Vagrant Queen, Locke & Key, Snowpiercer, Y, Witchblade,etc don't exist. Anyways sucks for you guys I am looking forward to Batman in DCEU and Black Widow from Marvel. You can enjoy more than one type of thing. I repeat you can enjoy more than one thing.
    People have their particular tastes and really DO want everything in a genre to be catered to them. I think that's just human nature.

When Man of Steel and Batman v Superman came out, people then and still today were "whining" about how those movies were "wrong" because they were too "grimdark," "joyless," and "edgelord" -- among other silly words. They were very loud and vocal and shouted everyone down who found something to like about those movies. They wanted everything to be like Marvel, and then when DC did make a Marvel-like movie with Aquaman, they criticized that.

But I think that people ragging on Marvel now that the Joker has come out and become a huge hit not-Marvelesque film has made some people rethink the MCU stuff. To your point about liking "more than one type of thing," I think now that Joker has shown that a hit CBM can be very different from Marvel, it's making people realize that Marvel movies are all the SAME thing. The same flip, glib, quippy tone (coupled with some mawkish, calculated emotional scenes) permeates most of their output. Not saying it's bad, but it IS predictable.

If you do like "more than one type of thing," then the DC Films really deliver in that regard because their most universally loved films -- Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, and Joker -- are all very different in style, tone, and story beats. I do love the variety that DC offers, and I (and it seems others more vocally) wish Marvel would do the same. Right now, Marvel movies are very competently made, but they seem to come off the assembly line -- consisting of a small box of narrative tools. Marvel cranks out McMovies -- carefully calculated to satisfy its intended audience, but taking no cinematic risks.

People have their particular tastes and really DO want everything in a genre to be catered to them. I think that's just human nature.

When Man of Steel and Batman v Superman came out, people then and still today were "whining" about how those movies were "wrong" because they were too "grimdark," "joyless," and "edgelord" -- among other silly words. They were very loud and vocal and shouted everyone down who found something to like about those movies. They wanted everything to be like Marvel, and then when DC did make a Marvel-like movie with Aquaman, they criticized that.

But I think that people ragging on Marvel now that the Joker has come out and become a huge hit not-Marvelesque film has made some people rethink the MCU stuff. To your point about liking "more than one type of thing," I think now that Joker has shown that a hit CBM can be very different from Marvel, it's making people realize that Marvel movies are all the SAME thing. The same flip, glib, quippy tone (coupled with some mawkish, calculated emotional scenes) permeates most of their output. Not saying it's bad, but it IS predictable.

If you do like "more than one type of thing," then the DC Films really deliver in that regard because their most universally loved films -- Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, and Joker -- are all very different in style, tone, and story beats. I do love the variety that DC offers, and I (and it seems others more vocally) wish Marvel would do the same. Right now, Marvel movies are very competently made, but they seem to come off the assembly line -- consisting of a small box of narrative tools. Marvel cranks out McMovies -- carefully calculated to satisfy its intended audience, but taking no cinematic risks.
    Not really.

The two films in blue are the same sort of film(namely, the type of film you clearly said one of them was in green).

Trying to frame it where two films that are in the "Marvel" style/the "Wonder Woman" film/a film that isn't even actually a "Comic Book" film are all just different types of vegetables doesn't work.

If Marvel films are "Fruit", two of those DC films are clearly "Fruit" that folks are trying to insist are vegetables. Past that, there's one film that actually is a vegetable and another that might as well be a bag of Big League Chew.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Not really.

The two films in blue are the same sort of film(namely, the type of film you clearly said one of them was in green).

Trying to frame it where two films that are in the "Marvel" style/the "Wonder Woman" film/a film that isn't even actually a "Comic Book" film are all just different types of vegetables doesn't work.

If Marvel films are "Fruit", two of those DC films are clearly "Fruit" that folks are trying to insist are vegetables. Past that, there's one film that actually is a vegetable and another that might as well be a bag of Big League Chew.
    I don't think Aquaman and Shazam are the same type of film. They're both lighter in tone than the other DCEU movies, true, but Shazam is clearly more of a family movie than Aquaman was. Shazam was going for a younger audience.

No one needs to defend the Marvel movies to me because I didn't say they were bad -- just that they're a product created in a laboratory like a Big Mac. To an extent, all tentpole movies are like that, but I like that DC can make a movie like Joker -- that was not contrived to be a tentpole -- achieve tentpole status based on its merit. I like that it was the audience that decided to make Joker a hit instead of being told a year in advance by the studio that we should mark our calendars because their latest prefabricated product will change our lives forever.

Retired

I'm not sure, but I have a hunch a lot of the votes for 1 billion or more on the poll came in after JOKER was a sure bet to get that much. I don't think those votes were cast when this poll first went up. Seems a bit unfair, but I probably shouldn't expect fairness from JOKER.

I don't think Aquaman and Shazam are the same type of film. They're both lighter in tone than the other DCEU movies, true, but Shazam is clearly more of a family movie than Aquaman was. Shazam was going for a younger audience.

No one needs to defend the Marvel movies to me because I didn't say they were bad -- just that they're a product created in a laboratory like a Big Mac. To an extent, all tentpole movies are like that, but I like that DC can make a movie like Joker -- that was not contrived to be a tentpole -- achieve tentpole status based on its merit. I like that it was the audience that decided to make Joker a hit instead of being told a year in advance by the studio that we should mark our calendars because their latest prefabricated product will change our lives forever.
    The issue is that what is in blue is not what happened.

First, it is a Phillips film that just happened to use a couple of elements that happened to be "DC Comics" IP.

As for it being something that was not a "Laboratory Creation Like A Big Mac...", come on. It was probably the worst offender in comic book film history when it comes to that.

It was right out of a cookbook written years before.

Mighty Member

Is it literally impossible to have a comic book movie discussion without DC playing victim and/or MCU being the villain anymore? Even in a thread celebrating a movie from a different company it has to be about the MCU is bland/bad/etc. Can we just not celebrate Jokers success on it's own without pretending it's means people are getting tired of the MCU because of one movie?

And whether it's human nature or not wanting everything catered to you isn't good, not for personal growth or the industry. I enjoy the MCU but I also like shazam, aquaman, wonder woman, the boys, and umbrella academy. I don't know why It has to be a one or the other thing. Or that they all have to do the same thing.
    Last edited by Farealmer; 11-24-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Is it literally impossible to have a comic book movie discussion without DC playing victim and/or MCU being the villain anymore? Even in a thread celebrating a movie from a different company it has to be about the MCU is bland/bad/etc. Can we just not celebrate Jokers success on it's own without pretending it's means people are getting tired of the MCU because of one movie?

And whether it's human nature or not wanting everything catered to you isn't good, not for personal growth or the industry. I enjoy the MCU but I also like shazam, aquaman, wonder woman, the boys, and umbrella academy. I don't know why It has to be a one or the other thing. Or that they all have to do the same thing.

I agree that DC is not the victim and Marvel is not the villain -- anymore -- now that DC has had a few critical and financial successes of its own. But, at the beginning, it did seem to be the in-thing to do to rag on DC for trying to copy Marvel's interconnected universe and coming up short.

Now that DC has charted its own course and has been successful at it -- with future movies like Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman 1984, and The Batman likely to be further successes, I hope we can at last leave the anger and handwringing over DC movies in the past. This way, fans of DC's movies and Marvel's movies can celebrate them without having to bash the other.

I also agree that having the indy companies get their properties onto the big screen -- the Hellboy reboot notwithstanding -- is a good thing that will further add to the variety of what we see onscreen.

It was just up until DC's recent successes that most online conversation seemed to be of the type that if a CBM isn't Marvel, then it's wrong or bad, so there was definitely a non-appreciation of variety from that camp as well.

Now that movies as diverse as Avengers, Captain Marvel, Aquaman, and Joker have all made a billion dollars in recent years, the general moviegoer -- and Hollywood -- will see that CBMs don't have to ape the Marvel formula to be successful.

I look forward to seeing how Valiant's Bloodshot and the Spawn reboot turn out. I wouldn't mind seeing Magnus, Robot Fighter or DC-Wildstorm's The Authority made into a feature as well. And where's Jim Starlin's Dreadstar, Baron/Rude's Nexus, Mike Grell's Starslayer, or WaRP's ElfQuest, already?

Mighty Member

Now that DC has charted its own course and has been successful at it -- with future movies like Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman 1984, and The Batman likely to be further successes, I hope we can at last leave the anger and handwringing over DC movies in the past. This way, fans of DC's movies and Marvel's movies can celebrate them without having to bash the other.
    If the recent threads here are any indication that's a vain hope. All that is happening now is the pendulum swinging in the other direction, now the in-thing is to rag on The MCU(whether hard hate or off handed slaps) while acting like DC is now the "One True Way"(TM). As Thor said in Ragnarok "round and round in circles we go".

I agree that DC is not the victim and Marvel is not the villain -- anymore -- now that DC has had a few critical and financial successes of its own. But, at the beginning, it did seem to be the in-thing to do to rag on DC for trying to copy Marvel's interconnected universe and coming up short.

I also agree that having the indy companies get their properties onto the big screen -- the Hellboy reboot notwithstanding -- is a good thing that will further add to the variety of what we see onscreen.

It was just up until DC's recent successes that most online conversation seemed to be of the type that if a CBM isn't Marvel, then it's wrong or bad, so there was definitely a non-appreciation of variety from that camp as well.

Now that movies as diverse as Avengers, Captain Marvel, Aquaman, and Joker have all made a billion dollars in recent years, the general moviegoer -- and Hollywood -- will see that CBMs don't have to ape the Marvel formula to be successful.

I look forward to seeing how Valiant's Bloodshot and the Spawn reboot turn out. I wouldn't mind seeing Magnus, Robot Fighter or DC-Wildstorm's The Authority made into a feature as well. And where's Jim Starlin's Dreadstar, Baron/Rude's Nexus, Mike Grell's Starslayer, or WaRP's ElfQuest, already?
    The whole problem with that is the fact that Aquaman(and the "Justice League" film that introduced him) largely used the "Marvel" formula to make a successful film. Never mind that Gunn's "Suicide Squad" film will do the same.

The point is that there is nothing wrong with that. People with a problem with Marvel need to just realize that there isn't anything bad about that.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The whole problem with that is the fact that Aquaman(and the "Justice League" film that introduced him) largely used the "Marvel" formula to make a successful film. Never mind that Gunn's "Suicide Squad" film will do the same.

The point is that there is nothing wrong with that. People with a problem with Marvel need to just realize that there isn't anything bad about that.
    JL and Aquaman did use the marvel formula, the result was simple. neither are among the best DC movies. Joker is one of the best DC movies. Todd Philips just said we should stop comparing marvel and DC because not all comic movies are the same. He is right, DC does not have to be like marvel, they never did, DC under Warner Brothers has been making movies since 1978, 30 years before the MCU. the DC movies differ and have gone through many stages. joker is the more profitable film of all time, so they don't need to be like marvel to chase the billions.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-25-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    JL and Aquaman did use the marvel formula, the result was simple. neither are among the best DC movies. Joker is one of the best DC movies. Todd Philips just said we should stop comparing marvel and DC because not all comic movies are the same. He is right, DC does not have to be like marvel, they never did, DC under Warner Brothers has been making movies since 1978, 30 years before the MCU. the DC movies differ and have gone through many stages. joker is the more profitable film of all time, so they don't need to be like marvel to chase the billions.
    Not much point in talking about Joker like it is something that is repeatable.

Anyone who is being straight with themselves knows good and well that it isn't a cookie cutter that one could push down into a movie in an attempt to make it profitable.