View Poll Results: How much will JOKER make at the WORLDWIDE box office?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • $700-799 million

2 5.88%
  • $800-850 million

6 17.65%
  • $851-899 million

3 8.82%
  • $900-950 million

2 5.88%
  • $951-999 million

3 8.82%
  • $1 BILLION or more

18 52.94%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's funny that Box Office Mojo converted to its inferior IMDb Pro format just as JOKER was steaming toward a billion. Now I usually go to The Numbers to check on the box office each day.
    The Numbers is a good source to compare movies. I like that they have a graph so the BO can be compared day to day. It is interesting how closely Joker is tracking Aquaman. Good that Joker looks like it
    will hit $1 billion even though Joker is $140 million less in IBO than Aquaman. If Joker had China, Joker would already be at $1 billion. Take away China from Aquaman and Aquaman only makes $857 million
    worldwide. So what Joker is doing is even more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The Numbers is a good source to compare movies. I like that they have a graph so the BO can be compared day to day. It is interesting how closely Joker is tracking Aquaman. Good that Joker looks like it
    will hit $1 billion even though Joker is $140 million less in IBO than Aquaman. If Joker had China, Joker would already be at $1 billion. Take away China from Aquaman and Aquaman only makes $857 million
    worldwide. So what Joker is doing is even more impressive.
    That's a good point that Aquaman would never have hit a billion if not for China, while Joker will definitely hit a billion without China.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Aquaman and hope the sequel does as well or better than the first installment, but Joker being R-rated, low budget (meaning also a relatively lower marketing budget), and Chinaless makes its accomplishment incredible.

It really was all the advance reports of Joker's winning the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival with a 3-year standing ovation that whipped the public up into a frenzy to see the movie plus how "controversial" it was in regard to depictions of violence -- the element of potential danger just in going to the theater to see it helped the movie in a weird way, I think.

Welcome to the billion club joker.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/joker-b...ce-1202785920/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I really liked Aquaman and hope the sequel does as well or better than the first installment, but Joker being R-rated, low budget (meaning also a relatively lower marketing budget), and Chinaless makes its accomplishment incredible.
    I don't know what's more impressive, Black Panther making 700M domestic or Joker making a billion with its R rating and measly 55M budget and no China.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I don't know what's more impressive, Black Panther making 700M domestic or Joker making a billion with its R rating and measly 55M budget and no China.
    Joker also didn't have 3D screenings to boost it.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Or the MCU backing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    this is not a question.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    the two films are a story of opposites. media was very supportive of black panther. media is not supportive of joker. Mind you, black panther was marketed as the first black superhero movie. It was hardly True.

Coming from Colossus1980, a huge MCU fan who said he had no interest in the Joker. this is not even a question. He is trying to remind us that mcu makes more money but no one cares.Black Panther is Cooperate. Joker is Art.. Art is more impressive.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-16-2019 at 02:14 AM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Now that aside, well done Joker. I definitely would not have expected this but damn impressive either way. Says a lot about the staying power of the comic book film.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Have to repeat what's already been said because it's nearly unbelievable:

-No 3D
    -No China
    -Very mixed to negative PR ahead of its release from the sensationalist media
    -Mixed to positive reviews overall (it was not universally praised)
    -$60 million budget
    -Not tied to a larger cinematic universe

And it smashes past $1 billion… That deserves praise in the cinematic world.

The director made more money than the entire film budget, due to his deal and how well the film has done. Not bad.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Have to repeat what's already been said because it's nearly unbelievable:

-No 3D
    -No China
    -Very mixed to negative PR ahead of its release from the sensationalist media
    -Mixed to positive reviews overall (it was not universally praised)
    -$60 million budget
    -Not tied to a larger cinematic universe

And it smashes past $1 billion… That deserves praise in the cinematic world.
    Hopefully this is a sign that the audience is moving towards a more sophisticated CBM and away from this MCU cartoonish silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Hopefully this is a sign that the audience is moving towards a more sophisticated CBM and away from this MCU cartoonish silliness.
    Until the MCU movies start making Justice League or Shazam! type money Disney is going to keep churning them out.

Joker really isn't a comic book movie at all, its a movie with comic book references tacked on. I went and saw it last night, contributing to more box office. It was fairly well attended for a Wednesday night over a month after release.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Until the MCU movies start making Justice League or Shazam! type money Disney is going to keep churning them out.
    Feige is incapable of making anything different from the MCU formula.