View Poll Results: How much will JOKER make at the WORLDWIDE box office?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • $700-799 million

2 5.88%
  • $800-850 million

6 17.65%
  • $851-899 million

3 8.82%
  • $900-950 million

2 5.88%
  • $951-999 million

3 8.82%
  • $1 BILLION or more

18 52.94%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default JOKER BOX OFFICE - Could it hit ONE BILLION?

When it first opened, I thought Joker would top out at $600-650 million, but it's only been 10 days and Joker has already banked $548 million worldwide -- and this is before any awards season hype.

Domestically, Joker is outpacing Aquaman by a bit. AM earned $189 million in its first 10 days, while Joker has $194. Now, Joker opened much higher than Aquaman, so Aquaman has closed the gap quite a bit, but on the other hand, Aquaman did have the Christmas & New Year's holiday season to bolster ticket sales during those weeks.

It'll be interesting to see how Joker fares when competition arrives this weekend in the form of Maleficent. Yes, it's a different audience, but many adults who would have seen the Joker will be taking their kids to Maleficent.

This is very interesting and almost unprecedented territory for such a low budget film ($55 million) to have already made 10 times its production budget in just a week and a half.

I'm just not sure how high this can go at this point, but I'm gonna guess it will outdo Venom's $856 million worldwide, which I was very dubious about just a week ago.

So, how high do YOU think Joker can go?
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 10-14-2019 at 03:23 PM.

I think not getting a China release, the movie will fall just short. I am guessing somewhere in the $900 million. China would have definitely brought Joker over the top.

Astonishing Member

Over 800M but under 900M. Wonder if it would have made at least 100M in China. Lack of special effects and action might have made it bomb in China. I really don't want to see a swarm of villain origin movies being made since they cost so cheap.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Joker would be banned in China. The movie has people protesting and rioting in it. That won't fly.

Retired

Given what it's made so far, the projection would be about 900 M. However, the Joker has an ace up his sleeve, which is the awards season. IF (and it's a mighty big if) the movie gets any major Oscar noms then that would drive it back into the multiplexes in January which could be enough to tip it over into the billion dollar club. I have my doubts that this will happen, let alone that JOKER could win best picture or best director, because the Academy voters are just the kind of stick-in-the-muds clutching their pearls in revulsion at what the movie seems to say about their privilege.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

That would be massive and anything is possible at this point. It's having surprisingly great legs and doing very well overseas. I'm gonna say 850-900 million though.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Joker would be banned in China. The movie has people protesting and rioting in it. That won't fly.
    Especially with what is going on in Hong Kong. It is sort of a real life version of what we saw in Joker.

So Joker made $29 million in his 3rd weekend for a domestic total of $247 million and a worldwide of $737 million. Kind of hilarious that a Joker movie that doesn't even have Batman
    in it beat out a movie (Justice League) that had Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman in it. Both domestic and worldwide. And cost one sixth the money to make.

Thanks for posting the 3rd weekend stats, Osiris-Rex.

I'm wondering how high Joker can go domestically.

Can it beat the $330 million domestic of Batman v Superman? The $335 million domestic of Aquaman?

Maybe, but I don't think it can touch Wonder Woman's $413 million, but it will beat WW's global of $822 million for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Maybe, but the people rioting and protesting are doing so in a "eat the rich" type style. That plays well to a communist censor.

Astonishing Member

I never thought there would be another R rated CBM that cost less than Deadpool and make more than Deadpool.

Good chance that Pattison's Batman might not even make more than Joker. Sucks Superman never reached the heights of this 55M movie.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    Maybe, but the people rioting and protesting are doing so in a "eat the rich" type style. That plays well to a communist censor.
    With what's currently going on in Hong Kong I doubt China will tolerate anything with protests.

Joker has about one more week of basically uncontested time, Maleficent (and maybe Zombieland I think) pass it this week but this should be another strong week for all of them because nothing strong is coming out. The next week Terminator Dark Fate( which has early decent reviews) and The Irishman, After next week Dr Sleep and Midway. So I am guessing about 750 to 800 million range is where it will top out at. It is pretty impressive run
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-20-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    China is an authoritarian capitalist society that is facing severe social turmoil and will likely endure greater social strife in the coming years.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Good chance that Pattison's Batman might not even make more than Joker. Sucks Superman never reached the heights of this 55M movie.
    The original Superman movie is a billion dollar film in today's dollars.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut