View Poll Results: How much will JOKER make at the WORLDWIDE box office?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • $700-799 million

2 5.88%
  • $800-850 million

6 17.65%
  • $851-899 million

3 8.82%
  • $900-950 million

2 5.88%
  • $951-999 million

3 8.82%
  • $1 BILLION or more

18 52.94%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Retired

No doubt it will hit a billion. I'm just surprised at how fast it's getting there. The question now is how much over a billion will it get?

The weird irony is that if it could play in China, it would have to be a different movie--there's just no way in its current form, with the current regime in China, that this kind of movie could be released there. So therefore, it would have to be a different movie. But that different movie isn't the kind of movie that could become such a lightning rod for debate, which is one of the factors driving the box office--so a China acceptable JOKER would not have done as well everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    As of now Terminator is tanking, Irishman will be on Netflix soon, can't see a huge theater rush on that. Dr. Sleep maybe....
    I can't see Dr. Sleep being that big. It was Jack Nicholson that made The Shining the cult classic it was. I mean how often to you see the "Here's Johnny" scene parodied? Was Danny that big a deal?

saw it Saturday. boy was that overhyped. i've seen this story told better in less time. i like Joaquin Phoenix. physically, he's a great choice for the Joker. but the writing failed him on all fronts. was i meant to sympathize with this character? i know Phoenix is capable of playing sympathetic losers i.e. 'To Die For.' this wasn't that performance. not sure what he was going for in the talk show scene. the affectation that he used was jarring/off-putting. definitely not something i'd expect from the Joker (that's the character he was playing, right?). kind of reminded me of Peewee Herman. and the stuff with the Waynes felt forced. not sure why Zazie Beetz was in this other than pad out the time. it borrowed so much from other movies but did little with what it borrowed.
    2 stars out of 5

Warner Bros is going to find the success of this movie much sweeter than Aquaking.

OK, so now Joker stands at about $934 million worldwide, so it only needs $66 million to hit a billion dollars. If awards season is kind to this movie, could it exceed the $1.15 billion take of Aquaman? I don't know, but I do think it will exceed Aquaman's domestic of $335 million and become the 2nd highest grossing DC movie domestically of the post-Man-of-Steel era.

There's a lot of talk about how Joker is the highest grossing R-rated movie, and it will be the first R-rated flick to cross $1 billion unadjusted. However, what I think the biggest achievement the Joker has is its profit margin.

In pure dollars, they're saying Joker will make a profit of about $500 million -- around the same as an Avengers movie. However, Joker cost about 20% of those films.

So, forgetting about pure dollars and talking about profit margin (i.e. percent), has any movie made the profit margin Joker will make?

Retired

I think, whether you like JOKER or not, its success sends an important message. It seemed like the only way for studios to make huge profits and hit a billion was to make movies that would be popular in China. But JOKER shows that doesn't need to be the case. So hopefully this will encourage studios to try different things and not always go after what plays well in China.

BANNED

940 million without China is damn good. Take note Kevin Feige, you don’t have to cater to the Chinese government to make money.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    OK, so now Joker stands at about $934 million worldwide, so it only needs $66 million to hit a billion dollars. If awards season is kind to this movie, could it exceed the $1.15 billion take of Aquaman? I don't know, but I do think it will exceed Aquaman's domestic of $335 million and become the 2nd highest grossing DC movie domestically of the post-Man-of-Steel era.

There's a lot of talk about how Joker is the highest grossing R-rated movie, and it will be the first R-rated flick to cross $1 billion unadjusted. However, what I think the biggest achievement the Joker has is its profit margin.

In pure dollars, they're saying Joker will make a profit of about $500 million -- around the same as an Avengers movie. However, Joker cost about 20% of those films.

So, forgetting about pure dollars and talking about profit margin (i.e. percent), has any movie made the profit margin Joker will make?
    Dirt cheap horror movies have broken out hugely from time to time, like the first Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity.

But when it comes to movies adapting comic book properies (which require a certain amount of look good spending due to the visual/fantastical medium they draw from), I've heard Joker already passed them all.

Warner Bros is going to find the success of this movie much sweeter than Aquaking.
    Not as much as you think. They didn't think this was going to do as good and made a deal with others to help pay for the film. (it wasn't even a big budget film!) WB has to give them 50% of the film profits plus movie chains also get a cut! Working with others is great if the film bombs as you don't lose as much but it sucks if it's a hit as you have to share money that could have been all yours! WB has got to be kicking themselves over this one!

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...nancing-movie/

However, the buzz surrounding the project continued to grow, and by the time Joker finally hit theaters it was riding a wave of momentum and became a complete juggernaut, smashing records for the month of October on its way to earning over $600m globally after less than two weeks. Following the disappointment of Justice League, Warner Bros. approached Joker with a great deal of trepidation, and it looks like the studio’s decision has backfired in the wake of the movie’s success now that they’ve been forced to share the profits.

WB lost millions in joker!

It was a good day when this movie surpassed Deadpool as the highest rated r movie. While I loved Deadpool, I would always go for drama over comedy. However we deserve to enjoy the best of mature drama and mature comedy.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Not as much as you think. They didn't think this was going to do as good and made a deal with others to help pay for the film. (it wasn't even a big budget film!) WB has to give them 50% of the film profits plus movie chains also get a cut! Working with others is great if the film bombs as you don't lose as much but it sucks if it's a hit as you have to share money that could have been all yours! WB has got to be kicking themselves over this one!

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...nancing-movie/

WB lost millions in joker!
    That final sentence is a complete non sequitur I'm afraid. WB hasn't lost a penny on the Joker film, let alone millions. Quite the opposite in fact. They've just not made as much profit on the movie as they could have had if they'd displayed a little more faith beforehand and financed the whole project themselves. Assuming this is all true which I admittedly have no problem in believing to be the case.

Splitting the profits or no, this film will give their annual financial reports a much healthier glow than would have been the case two months ago. It's also allowed me to look at the top 10 grossing movies of 2019 page on Wikipedia without wanting to retch. Well, not too much.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 11-05-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Blair Witch Project budget was $35k and it raked in some $250 million.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Blair Witch Project budget was $35k and it raked in some $250 million.
    They sold that movie well considering the scariest thing in the movie was trees.

No doubt a part of Joker's movie success was the media claiming the movie would lead to mass murders, and people wanting to see why this movie would cause that. Morbid curiosity,

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The first Annabelle movie made around 40 times it's development budget of $6.5 million ($257 million worldwide). That's insane. How much profit it actually made is up in the air but it must have been a hell of a lot.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!