Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Worst and best love relationships in Marvel?

Thatīs the question, and... do you have any fan couple? One non canon, but you would like to see.

Love isn't real, and even then nothing is as bad as Havok and Wasp.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Most Marvel romances don't really work because it's focused on the longing (i.e. Will They Won't They) to the extent that when they get together as a couple it doesn't work (Jean/Scott, dynamite in the period when she went to college ad then came back and she and Scott were kinda together but not officially seeing each other, ultimately leading to Dark Phoenix Saga...but when they got married their relationship kinda sucked, and then he cheated on her with Emma which is actually interesting as a relationship.)...or then you have married couples who are usually a chore to read (Reed/Sue, Hank/Janet).

In terms of best love story in a single story/arc, I think it has be Matt Murdock/Karen Page in BORN AGAIN. Frank Miller is not the most enlightened man when it comes to showing women and so on...but still his portrayal of the redemptive power of love and the need for a man and a woman for each other shines in that book and nothing beats that final image of Karen and Matt in a homage to the famous Freewheelin' Bob Dylan cover. It's a real shame that Kevin Smith was allowed to write for Marvel because Karen Page did not deserve to die after being the emotional core of one of the greatest Marvel stories ever...and thanks to Deborah Ann Woll's wonderful performance on the Netflix show, I hope eventually they find a way to bring Karen back.

As far as long time serial narrative romances go, Peter/Mary Jane is the greatest love story in superhero comics. Certainly the greatest love story in Marvel Comics. There's great stories in every stage of their relationship. Whether it's their first date and meeting (ASM #42-43-44), it's their actual courtship (Conway's run from ASM #121-22 to ASM #149). Their first kiss (ASM #143). Then their breakup and eventual second friendship where MJ pours her heart to Peter (ASM#259), which leads Peter to treat her as his confidant eventually confessing how he got Uncle Ben killed. Likewise, their Wedding Annual is a great story. The marriage years of the couple included many classics like KLH, Michelinie's run with DeFalco which included the America Tour, and Venom. The Cosmic Spider-Man story. JMD's entire Spectacular Run, Conway's Tombstone story, Mackie's Identity Crisis, JMS' Doomed Affairs, Book of Ezekiel, Back in Black, To Have and to Hold, Spider-Man Blue.

I also like Luke/Jessica a lot.

oh boy... I'm bookmarking this thread because I know where this is going
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

In terms of best love story in a single story/arc, I think it has be Matt Murdock/Karen Page in BORN AGAIN. Frank Miller is not the most enlightened man when it comes to showing women and so on...but still his portrayal of the redemptive power of love and the need for a man and a woman for each other shines in that book and nothing beats that final image of Karen and Matt in a homage to the famous Freewheelin' Bob Dylan cover. It's a real shame that Kevin Smith was allowed to write for Marvel because Karen Page did not deserve to die after being the emotional core of one of the greatest Marvel stories ever...and thanks to Deborah Ann Woll's wonderful performance on the Netflix show, I hope eventually they find a way to bring Karen back.
    Well said! I never thought about it like that but I agree with everything said here. Matt forgiving Karen has to be one of the strongest moments of love in comics.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I see your Havok and Wasp and raise you Rachel and Nightcrawler.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I see your Havok and Wasp and raise you Rachel and Nightcrawler.
    I see your Rachel and Nightcrawler and raise you Nightcrawler and Amanda Sefton.

Noticing a trend here...

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

I haven't read many Marvel comics with people in healthy relationships.

That is the one thing that I am disappointed with Marvel about.
    Baby Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I see your Rachel and Nightcrawler and raise you Nightcrawler and Amanda Sefton.

Noticing a trend here...
    Yes we are, none of us, worthy of the sexiness of Kurt Wagner.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Their daughter will fight you till death!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yes we are, none of us, worthy of the sexiness of Kurt Wagner.
    You just like the fact that he has two you-know-what's.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Their daughter will fight you till death!
    Well, death is certainly the only place she's going.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Well, death is certainly the only place she's going.
    Lol true and that's the joke but there's a slight chance that she may be revived if some writer takes a fancy in that direction though the possibility seems remote.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Eddy Brock and Venom

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

Noticing a trend here...
    I see your Night Crawler and Amanda Sefton, and raise you Angel (Warren Worthington) & the Gutherie known as Husk (she was exactly how old? 15? idk)
    Meet the new Blu_Spyder,
    same as the old Arachne_Azure

"If Life doesn't give you some sugar to go with the lemons
    your lemonade is gonna suck
    "