BANNED

Default Worst and best love relationships in DC?

Thatīs the question, and... do you have any fan couple? One non canon but you would like to see

Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle

Sadly, I think almost every relationship between two non-civilians has been written as extremely toxic at one time or another. So many I can only still ship by ignoring huge swathes of canon. Which, to be fair, I ignore in other regards, too - you kind have to when characters are written very different ways by different writers, and sometimes are pretty horrible. Some with civilian partner have also taken bad turns. It's in the name of drama, I know, but frustrating.

Pre-Crisis, Barry and Iris were usually good. Some writers made her nag more than others. Ralph and Sue were really good in the old days (despite some sexist interactions), but ghastly in a certain era (she just regarded him with absolute disdain). Once good, Ollie and Dinah became a trainwreck, over and over again - such a roller coaster. Dick and Barbara were going to be great, but a change in writers, and then just the things that were done to both characters. Oh, I miss old Dick Grayson. Diana and Steve had real potential in Rebirth, but it never seems to get realized. Scott and Barda started strong, too.

Clark and Lois have been very good and times and very bad at times. I'm not sure Bruce and Selina have ever really gotten "good" for any length of time (current version isn't working for me), though they've gotten bad - mostly they've not been a couple, and when they have execution hasn't worked for me.

I liked Jaime and Traci 13, but that was barely touched on, really, and not serious enough to count for "best" to me.

Hal and Carol might be one of non-retconned/changed worst. Not saying they could never work, but they've had their back-and-forth and theirs involved murder, and frankly, they went off the rails very early when he decided to woo her as GL, somehow missing the obvious problem that would result.

Bart and Carol were quite good and healthy and very short-lived.

Worst: Batman and Catwoman
    Best: Superman and Lex Luthor
    Last edited by staptik777; 10-14-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Until Bendis took over, I was really enjoying Clark and Lois.

Non-canon? Eh, I don't really go the shipping route. Closest I guess would be Jason Todd and Artemis Grace? Though it was semi-canonical. Kind of.

Best: Wesley Dodds Sandman and Dian Belmont.(Scott Free and Barda get 2nd place)
    Worst: Joker and Harley Quinn. (in terms of relationships, not entertainment value) 2nd place goes to Kyle Rayner and Kalista - Kyle forgot Carol really quickly, and she was a murderous, manipulative psycho.
    Non-canonical: Dr Mid-Nite (Cross) and Power Girl. They are an interesting odd couple that I think would totally work. She's fiery and emotional, he's cool and intellectual, she's massively powerful, he's living with a disability, etc. And her physical beauty means nothing to him. I think that could have been interesting.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Non-canonical: Dr Mid-Nite (Cross) and Power Girl. They are an interesting odd couple that I think would totally work. She's fiery and emotional, he's cool and intellectual, she's massively powerful, he's living with a disability, etc. And her physical beauty means nothing to him. I think that could have been interesting.
    Finally, someone else who thought of it. I'm glad I'm not insane. I was convinced Jimmy and Amanda were setting this up in their run before they left.

I feel like Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown is rather underrated.

Lightbulb

IMO

Best in-canon - Superman (Clark Kent)/Lois Lane

Best out of canon - Val Zod/Kara Zor-El (Earth 2)

Worst in-canon - Harley/Joker

Worst out of canon - Batman (Bruce Wayne)/Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) *yuck*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Batman and Catwoman have the worst relationship in canon. It's so toxic under King.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Batman and Catwoman have the worst relationship in canon. It's so toxic under King.
    In all fairness, everything about Batman is toxic under King.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Best - Hawkman and Hawkgirl

Worst - Catwoman and Slam Bradley Sr.