Default Would you buy...

If DC was to take Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Justice League and give them each an 80pg or 100pg Quarterly magazine, with all-new self-contained stories, one classic reprint and some backmatter (hero profiles, blueprints, pin-ups, interviews), would you buy it?
    And how much would you expect it to cost if you were to buy every issue?

Again... the contents would be:
    80pgs or 100pgs
    All-New stories, self-contained
    One classic reprint
    Backmatter

And it was sold at comic shops and maybe book stores on the magazine rack.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I'd be in, especially if they had a price point at or near what the Wal-Mart Giants had. I realize it would be more new material than those, so the price point would likely be higher, but if it were $5.99-$7.99 I'd still be in. If it bumped to $9.99 it would probably be more than I wanted to spend.

I enjoyed the Wal Mart Giants for what they were, though I would have preferred a few more classic reprints among the reprints (i.e. 1 Golden Age Supes, Bats, WW story per issue rather than all stuff from the last 10-15 years, but I understand why they chose what they did). But I think the price point for the amount of content was great on those, even if only 12 pages was "new" material, some of the reprints were still new to me material, and if it were to catch a more casual audience outside the comic shop, even reprinted material would likely be new to those readers making it a value for the price point. I do like the expansion of the Giants we are seeing, and this could be the next step in that progression shifting to more original content and less reprints in that format.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Since they sell 28 pgs at $2.99, 40 pages at $4.99 to $5.99, I'm guessing they'll be selling that at $9.99 at a minimum?
    I'll buy the second printing after the review comes out and it's the type of story I like, Not regularly. Since it's self-contained, I'll more likely to buy it every once in a while. Monthly at most, two issues yearly most likely.

Most likely not since the only thing I'd be interested in were the stories - and even then it would depend on the creative team. I don't need any reprints and I imagine any backmatter material would be online anyway and even if not, I wouldn't be that interested in interviews or pin-ups.

I would be interested if it was 1972 or 1973

Yes if it didn't have reprints. If it was almost 100% story then yes. Don't care for pinups either.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

The new material would be the main selling point for me, since I can already buy old collections and trades. Also not interested in interviews, since I have the internet for that sort of thing (and rarely care in the first place). But it's always interesting to get some random information that fleshes out a IP; I loved the backup material in the Starman omnibuses, for example. I don't need to know how the cosmic staff works or what all the buttons do, but it was fun to see the blueprint.

Production value matters too. Since we're talking about a pretty hefty collection of stuff I expect something I can put on a shelf that won't look like I stuffed an old newspaper in there. If it's on the same level (production value-wise) as the new Black Label stuff like Superman Year One and Harleen, good enough. I don't feel like those stand out in a bad way next to my nice hardcover trades, aside from being much thinner.

And I better be getting at least 2-3 issues (minimum) worth of original material to go along with the reprints I probably already have, the interviews I don't care about, and the miscellaneous information I don't need.

But if it all looked good, I'd probably get it. For a quarterly I'd be willing to dump $10. Maybe a little more, if the original content was really good.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.