Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Legends of the Boy Wonder

Would you buy this book?

It would be like "Legends of the Dark Knight" but instead feature previously unseen tales of the various Robins.

I don't think we need this title but just randomly thought of it and wanted opinions.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Since we see what all the Robins do since the very beginning unlike Batman who started in the middle of the story in Golden Age, I'm not sure what they can add. All the Robins were under tutelage by Batman so there's no mystery or secret.

Before they became Robin maybe. Dick's Great Circus of Mystery. Lots of tales can be drawn when traveling. Jason trying to survive in Crime Alley. They can build up some childhood rivals that becomes his villains later. Tale of Tim Stalking? Not very interesting... Damian's life in Al Ghul family, though they kinda did that with Robin Son of Batman.

I'm not counting Steph coz her tale before Robin is already documented.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emanresu View Post
    Would you buy this book?

It would be like "Legends of the Dark Knight" but instead feature previously unseen tales of the various Robins.

I don't think we need this title but just randomly thought of it and wanted opinions.
    I'd only buy it if only features unseen tales of only one Robin, Richard Grayson.
    Last edited by ngroove; 10-14-2019 at 09:35 PM.

I'd buy any sort of in-continuity but unshackled from ongoing status quo stories of any kind from Gotham. But 1000x yes for any stories about Robin.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Since we see what all the Robins do since the very beginning unlike Batman who started in the middle of the story in Golden Age, I'm not sure what they can add. All the Robins were under tutelage by Batman so there's no mystery or secret.
    Most of Dicks original stories are pretty old and dated, Jasons run was post crisis very short and hardly any of the stories had a big focus on him.
    I think with those two you could add something.

For Tim on the other hand there are still alot of good pre flashppint stories, and Damian is still Robin and is still kind of at the beginning of his career, so for him a "Legends of the Boy Wonder" wouldn't make much sense.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emanresu View Post
    Would you buy this book?

Honestly, I'd probably just buy the stores featuring Dick. Or Damian. Or the Dick and Damian team. But that's just me.

It could be fun if done in the style of classic comics. I'd also love a Batgirl series set in Barbara's early days so in the present she would be freed to return to the Oracle identity.

I'd love a book like this, not so long ago I'd have considered this a guaranteed must buy, but I'm older and wiser having lived through Ric Grayson and the creative team could make or break it.

Mighty Member

I wouldn't call it that, but an anthology book of unseen tales of the various Robins could be a lot of fun. Let people come in and tell the stories they want to about who they want to.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Depends on the creative team and story, but considering how many classic tales came out of Legends of the Dark Knight trying to do something similar with the Robins would be a very good and wise idea I think.

Astonishing Member

Definitely.

In fact, I'd have it be an out-of-continuity, or loose continuity kinda series ala LOTDK. And tell various stories across eras with different styles and tones.

So one arc could be a Batman '66-inspired story with the classic Dynamic Duo. But the next arc could maybe be a solo Jason Todd story set during his first weeks as Robin. And after that maybe a story from Dick's college years.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I'd buy any sort of in-continuity but unshackled from ongoing status quo stories of any kind from Gotham. But 1000x yes for any stories about Robin.
    Yes. I'll take any Legends of the Dark Knight-style book, but one featuring adventures of the previous Robins would be pretty cool. There's such a dearth of Year One-era stories that fill in the gaps of Batman's early career, but as noted, Dick and Jason don't have quite as much.

Astonishing Member

The only one it would really make sense for is Dick Grayson, seeing as his entire tenure as Robin occurred before CRISIS happened. It's easy enough to follow/read most (if not all) of the adventures of every other Robin, but even as a middle-aged reader, his entire tenure occurred before I started reading comics. And considering it's questionable just how many of those pre-CRISIS stories are even in continuity anymore, he'd be the perfect Robin to revolve this series around.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Definitely.

In fact, I'd have it be an out-of-continuity, or loose continuity kinda series ala LOTDK. And tell various stories across eras with different styles and tones.

So one arc could be a Batman '66-inspired story with the classic Dynamic Duo. But the next arc could maybe be a solo Jason Todd story set during his first weeks as Robin. And after that maybe a story from Dick's college years.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe Paul Dini could come in with a BTAS arc featuring one of the Robins, or maybe Peter David or Chuck Dixon write a Robin the Toy Wonder arc, etc.

It wouldn't just feature stories from the main four, but all Robins across all mediums and alternate universes.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I wouldn't call it that
    Haha. Just an on the spot title I thought of.

And yes, this title would have a revolving door creative team like you say.

There are so many different Robins to write about. Carrie Kelly, Robin 3000, whoever as long as it's about Robin.