Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I don't follow you there. What's the line that makes me prefer Blackberry Smoke to Black Stone Cherry do you mean? Something called personal choice. The same reason that you aren't particularly impressed with the credentials of either Ghost or QotSA.

Back on topic, I actually missed a couple of bands out last time. There's Alter Bridge, a far more palatable band than Creed were and who have built up a really large audience here in the UK. Then there's both Cadillac Three and Rival Sons that I'd recommend. When I see the level of hype attached to Greta Van Fleet I feel for Rival Sons, whose thunder they seem to have at least partially stolen. Great band Rival Sons that deserve a larger audience.
    No, not that.

I like Blackberry Smoke just fine. It's just that they hit me about like The Black Crowes or The Four Horsemen(another one AC/DC fans might want to look into).

I don't know that I could find where their "Modern" twist was if I was to go looking for it. Not a weakness, mind you. I just don't know that it's there(outside of that "Modern" happens to be the period of time they are operating in).

Blackberry Smoke just stuck out as a very particular example of that.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 10-16-2019 at 04:16 AM.

That said, it was "Often With A Modern Twist..."

Maybe I'm just a little too hung up there.

One other one doesn't usually feel like it is on folks' radar is Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires.

Ultimate Member

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

I don't know that I could find where their "Modern" twist was if I was to go looking for it. Not a weakness, mind you. I just don't know that it's there(outside of that "Modern" happens to be the period of time they are operating in).

Blackberry Smoke just stuck out as a very particular example of that.
    I think you know your stuff numberthirty but you seem a little too concerned with trying to label and pigeon-hole everything. I don't think that really matters when we're trying to spread awareness of great younger bands out there.

If it's something with more of a 'modern twist' you might like then I'd also recommend Syd Arthur. Syd Arthur are a modern Canterbury band that draw their roots from the fabulous 'Canterbury Scene' of the late 60's/early 70's but very definitely add a contemporary edge to their sound. Check them out on Youtube and see what you think. That's another recommenation from me to everyone. Very interesting band.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Default Asphalt Horsemen - Wasting Time

links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Florence and the Machine

The Gossip

THE HOLD STEADY is just about the best damn Rock & Roll band that no one has ever heard of. They looked like they were going to make the push into mainstream consciousness about a decade ago. They were the first Rock band to be on the cover of the Village Voice in 15 years back in 2005, their album Boys and Girls in America was ranked on several album of the year polls in 2006. In 2007, the released Stay Positive which was their biggest album to date and then they just kind of meandered after that. They're still doing stuff, but they've admittedly taken a step back and only tour through a series of weekend stands in large cities. I included a live performance because A) rock should always be performed live and B) Keith Richards once said that there's no such thing as the greatest band in the world. It's a shared title and on any given night any band can be the greatest band in the world and there have been times when seeing them live (particularly one February night in Harrisburg in 2014) that I have been convinced it's The Hold Steady.

Stuck Between Stations

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    THE HOLD STEADY is just about the best damn Rock & Roll band that no one has ever heard of.
    First, I have heard of them and they painted themselves into a corner by putting out Separation Sunday when they did.

Second, I'm just going to point Grand Champeen out because I think there might be some potential "Grand Champeen" fans among "The Hold Steady" fans.

- Replacements cover at about 23:00
    - There is a Rolling Stones cover at the end.

I absolutely love
    The Warning from Mexico.
    Dany- guitar- lead vocal (19)
    Pau- drums - lead/backing vocal (17)
    Ale- Bass- backing vocal(14)
    These sisters are amazing with
    The potential for big things .

BANNED

There’s an ex-Fugazi drummer who has a small band from DC that makes classic rock influenced music. I like this song.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Airbourne. Just listen to Runnin Wild or Back in the Game and tell me that does not sound like late 80's rock.