Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Modern "classic rock" bands?

Bands that are modern, yet play music that is heavily influenced by classic rock (often blues, psychedelic, garage, progressive, hard rock, and metal). These bands carry on the ways of the old, often with a modern twist, proving that classic rock never died. What are the best examples, and what would you recommend?

Some that come to mind:

Queens of the Stone Age
    The Black Keys
    Jet
    Kaleo
    Ghost
    The Sword
    The White Stripes
    Arctic Monkeys
    Greta Van Fleet
    Royal Blood

Who else to note?

The Killers

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Black Stone Cherry

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I'd recommend Greta Van Fleet certainly, even if they are just a little too 'on the nose' in relation to their influences. Ditto Airbourne, who I think may have listened to a few AC/DC records down the years.

Black Stone Cherry are great. Their last two albums didn't resonate with me as much as the first four did, although they were still decent enough. I'd recommend their second album 'Folklore & Superstition'. I actually prefer the Georgian band Blackberry Smoke. Their albums are all bloody great. There is another emerging band called Bishop Gunn that I'd recommend also. Check them out on Youtube. I don't think any classic rock fan will be disappointed.

Ghost are unquestionably my favourite of the modern generation of bands. Everything about them is awesome. The music itself, the groups carefully cultivated image, the different 'concepts' that make all their records so unique. They are theatrical rock at it's finest but can also back it up musically too. Their fourth album 'Prequelle' is just stellar. Probably the best metal album of the last half decade.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Bands that are modern, yet play music that is heavily influenced by classic rock (often blues, psychedelic, garage, progressive, hard rock, and metal). These bands carry on the ways of the old, often with a modern twist, proving that classic rock never died. What are the best examples, and what would you recommend?

Some that come to mind:

Queens of the Stone Age
    The Black Keys
    Jet
    Kaleo
    Ghost
    The Sword
    The White Stripes
    Arctic Monkeys
    Greta Van Fleet
    Royal Blood

Who else to note?
    Band of Skulls
    Black Pistol Fire
    The Dead Weather
    Little Hurricane
    Rival Sons
    Monster Magnet
    Orange Goblin

If you like those bands give my list a try. Guarantee you'll find something to love.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Good list so far. Add Muse.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Kings Of Leon would definitely be up there. They have a fairly broad pallette of styles of rock they play, and they're a pretty amazing live band.

I'd consider their Sex On Fire to be the last real rock hit with mainstream appeal. And that was, scarily, ten years ago.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

When I think of QotSA, I don’t think of classic rock, mostly because classic rock makes me think of the Beatles and Rolling Stones and QotSA is... not that. I dig ‘em though.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    When I think of QotSA, I don’t think of classic rock, mostly because classic rock makes me think of the Beatles and Rolling Stones and QotSA is... not that. I dig ‘em though.
    When I think classic rock, I'm more inclined towards '70s rock like Led Zeppelin to be honest. QotSA is very much a modern Zeppelin with added influences.

On the topic...

- When I hear Ghost, I just think that it sounds like someone liked a combination of eighties metal and the "Mellow" Suicidal Tendencies tunes.

- When I hear Queens Of The Stone Age, I just hear a band that really likes the band Masters Of Reality. It's like "Classic Rock" influences filtered through a generation of band that has already happened.

That, and the fact that the drums on Songs For The Deaf has a lot more to do with Bill Stevenson's drumming in Black Flag than it does anything like "Classic Rock".

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I'd recommend Greta Van Fleet certainly, even if they are just a little too 'on the nose' in relation to their influences. Ditto Airbourne, who I think may have listened to a few AC/DC records down the years.

Black Stone Cherry are great. Their last two albums didn't resonate with me as much as the first four did, although they were still decent enough. I'd recommend their second album 'Folklore & Superstition'. I actually prefer the Georgian band Blackberry Smoke. Their albums are all bloody great. There is another emerging band called Bishop Gunn that I'd recommend also. Check them out on Youtube. I don't think any classic rock fan will be disappointed.

Ghost are unquestionably my favourite of the modern generation of bands. Everything about them is awesome. The music itself, the groups carefully cultivated image, the different 'concepts' that make all their records so unique. They are theatrical rock at it's finest but can also back it up musically too. Their fourth album 'Prequelle' is just stellar. Probably the best metal album of the last half decade.
    See, this is where I can't figure out where the line would be.

While I agree with what's in blue, where is the line that separates that band?

As for AC/DC as an influence, Supagroup.

Pretty sure they are no longer a thing, but they were heavy on the AC/DC.

While I'm not exactly sure about the category, those first few Birds Of Avalon releases seem like the would be smack dab in the middle of what is described.

Default Kaato

links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Can we please not make this a debate?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    See, this is where I can't figure out where the line would be.

While I agree with what's in blue, where is the line that separates that band?
    I don't follow you there. What's the line that makes me prefer Blackberry Smoke to Black Stone Cherry do you mean? Something called personal choice. The same reason that you aren't particularly impressed with the credentials of either Ghost or QotSA.

Back on topic, I actually missed a couple of bands out last time. There's Alter Bridge, a far more palatable band than Creed were and who have built up a really large audience here in the UK. Then there's both Cadillac Three and Rival Sons that I'd recommend. When I see the level of hype attached to Greta Van Fleet I feel for Rival Sons, whose thunder they seem to have at least partially stolen. Great band Rival Sons that deserve a larger audience.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!