Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Who has been DC's Ms. Marvel-style breakout?

In the last decade or so, who is a newer character who has really broken out in a similar fashion?

I'd say Jessica Cruz and Jaime Reyes. The latter was basically Ms Marvel before she was made and the former has gotten quite a bit of praise for a new character.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Jessica Cruz is if I had to guess. She's crossed over into animated series and movies already and survived her introduction phase to the point where other writers are using her (unlike Simon, who generally nobody cares to use).

There's also The Batman Who Laughs, but I'd rather not discuss such a braindead fanboy concept any further than I already have.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Assuming "newer" can stretch back to the 90s, then probably Harley Quinn. Went from simply being a supporting character to a more prominent character, not just in leading her own books, but also team books such as Suicide Squad and Gotham City Sirens.

It could have been Cyborg but DC screwed that up royally. Obviously he was given a huge promotion as a Justice League founder. he started out as a mopey tragic character but his character progression/story arc should have lead him to a point where he was a fun wish fulfillment character like one of the Trinity. Where he was as a character in the Walker/Reis run should have happened years before. But once Cyborg was finally given a cool character design and seemed to actually enjoy his powers, he was sent back to square one and was once again the tragic freak superhero.

Jaime Reyes could have been big for DC too. A character was an eye catching design, good supporting cast, interesting back story, and one of the very few Latino superheroes around. Yeah his solo didn’t sell very well but other DC mainstays like Martian Manhunter, Black Canary, etc. have had a difficult time over the years holding down a solo series. Jaime had some mainstream success in tv and video games, so DC really shouldn’t have shelved him multiple times. Put him on a Titans roster or even make him the junior member of the Justice League.

I guess Jessica Cruz would count as a success. Wouldn’t say she’s been a breakout character on the level of Ms. Marvel. Naomi is off to a good start. Here’s hoping DC continues to promote her and doesn’t just forget about her.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-14-2019 at 11:57 PM.

no one really. The closest right now could be Jessica Cruz, who's been having a really nice rise lately, but it's been nothing like Ms. Marvel's. Naomi has the potential to be that but it's too early and DC has not shown that they know how to grow characters organically or effectively, especially women and especially people of color(i still have hope they will turn it around one of these days). Sideways had a good buzz but he's MIA nowadays. Jaime could've been the one, looked like he might've gone the distance too, but DC couldn't stick to their guns but he's gotten enough clout that he's liable to return and his star could turn any day with the right run. Wallace West and Aqualad have weathered the fandom storm and appear to be here to stay but they are sorely underdeveloped compared to Kamala and not nearly as beloved nor do they have the clout she does; they need some solo material and more prominent roles. Duke Thomas has a small passionate little fandom (or at least according to Bryan Hill) but he's probably the least established character of all of these options (which is funny because Naomi isn't even a year old).
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-15-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    no one really. The closest right now could be Jessica Cruz, who's been having a really nice rise lately, but it's been nothing like Ms. Marvel's. Naomi has the potential to be that but it's too early and DC has not shown that they know how to grow characters organically or effectively, especially women and especially people of color(i still have hope they will turn it around one of these days). Sideways had a good buzz but he's MIA nowadays. Jaime could've been the one, looked like he might've gone the distance too, but DC couldn't stick to their guns but he's gotten enough clout that he's liable to return and his star could turn any day with the right run. Wallace West and Aqualad have weathered the fandom storm and appear to be here to stay but they are sorely underdeveloped compared to Kamala and not nearly as beloved nor do they have the clout she does; they need some solo material and more promedant roles. Duke Thomas has a small passionate little fandom (or at least according to Bryan Hill) but he's probably the least established character of all of these options (which is funny because Naomi isn't even a year old).
    Duke had the dubious honor of being another Bat in an already overcrowded belfry where as Naomi is kind of her own thing. While being in the Bat books gives him the widest exposure, it's also extremely sink or swim because he has to land immediately, and he didn't, much like Bluebird in that respect.

Agreed with those who said Jessica Cruz. She was added to DC Superhero Girls, so that's a success in my book. They used her in a Justice League animated movie too. However, she has a way to go to catch up to Kamala, who's been a regular in both the Avengers cartoon and Marvel Rising, will be the main focus character in the new Avengers video game, and has had a live action series announced.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Assuming "newer" can stretch back to the 90s, then probably Harley Quinn. Went from simply being a supporting character to a more prominent character, not just in leading her own books, but also team books such as Suicide Squad and Gotham City Sirens.
    Yeah, in the past 10 years Harley has risen to become one of DC’s most popular characters. She’s realistically probably in the top 5 at this point and far eclipses Ms. Marvel. I saw so many Harley Quinn’s last Halloween.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Retired

To me Ms Marvel will always be Carol Danvers, but I'm going to assume from the question that this latest version of Ms Marvel has become popular with the Marvel fanbase and that the OP means a diversity character who has inherited the costumed identity of a previous character and gained support from the DC readership. In that case, I'd say Cassandra Cain's Batgirl, because she is a diversity character who has inherited the costumed identity of a previous character and gained support from the DC readership. I know she lost the Batgirl codename, but she's still highly popular with the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    no one really. The closest right now could be Jessica Cruz, who's been having a really nice rise lately, but it's been nothing like Ms. Marvel's. Naomi has the potential to be that but it's too early and DC has not shown that they know how to grow characters organically or effectively, especially women and especially people of color(i still have hope they will turn it around one of these days). Sideways had a good buzz but he's MIA nowadays. Jaime could've been the one, looked like he might've gone the distance too, but DC couldn't stick to their guns but he's gotten enough clout that he's liable to return and his star could turn any day with the right run. Wallace West and Aqualad have weathered the fandom storm and appear to be here to stay but they are sorely underdeveloped compared to Kamala and not nearly as beloved nor do they have the clout she does; they need some solo material and more prominent roles. Duke Thomas has a small passionate little fandom (or at least according to Bryan Hill) but he's probably the least established character of all of these options (which is funny because Naomi isn't even a year old).
    Honestly, I think his biggest problem was, "I'm like Spider-Man, guys!" And when your entire shtick is basically being what amounts to an homage character, it doesn't give the character enough ground to gain traction. That's the only reason I think the Terrifics are working in the same vein - They're a lot like the F4, but they feel like they're not basically the F4 done slightly differently.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    In the last decade or so, who is a newer character who has really broken out in a similar fashion?
    Going back to 2009-NOBODY.

Yes you have guys like Jaime but WHO drops the ball? DC Comics.

Harley like Deadpool ALWAYS had someone willing to use them in an ongoing, duo book or team book. That went hand in hand with outside of comic book store merchandise.
    So if someone was interested in Harley-you had not only merchandise but books with her to sell to folks BEYOND the comic book store.

Ms Marvel broke out because she had a book that despite gators sold over a million copies (not counting digital). She has what 9 volumes not counting hardcover versions.

As for folks dressing up like her-excluding the official Halloween costume-hers is rather hard to make.
    Old school Harley's outfit is not. Not sure about her current look.

DC could have BURIED Marvel with the number of guys that they dropped the ball on.

I'll say, Jessica Cruz.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Bendis will probably name Naomi.

It's no one. But that is only because Marvel took all extremes of placing Ms. Marvel in several places and stating how much of hit/popular she was before it was actually so.

Ergo DC hype Machine isn't as strong as Marvels.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.