Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Harley Quinn is the equivalent. Her rise to prominence really started fairly recently.

Damian and Jason Todd both kind of fit, even if it was more like 15 years ago.

Jaime Reyes and Jessica Cruz are more clearly analogous to Kamala even if they are not nearly as popular.

I feel like Simon Baz could have been a really big break out star if he had premiered 5 to 10 years earlier... During the Bush administration. A Muslim with a gun saving the world would have been really impactful back then. By 2012 it was still note worthy but it did not carry the same weight it could have had.
    If they bring him back now it might carry the same weight.

People keep saying Harley Quinn is like Ms. Marvel, but she's not really a new character. Some people seem to forget she debuted 27 years ago (whereas Kamala debuted 6 years ago). Harley's more like DC's version of Deadpool (who debuted 28 years ago).
    Last edited by nightw1ng; 10-17-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    People keep saying Harley Quinn is like Ms. Marvel, but she's not really a new character. Some people seem to forget she debuted 27 years ago (whereas Kamala debuted 6 years ago). Harley's more like DC's version of Deadpool (who debuted 28 years ago).
    Exactly.

And Harley debuted on a massively popular TV series (Batman The Animated Series), so she already had mainstream exposure.

Yeah Harley and Deadpool both have massively more cultural cache than Kamala, and they have similar functions in their universes.

The timing doesn't match up but I think the closest DC equivalent to Kamala is Cass Cain. Kamala is the Cass of the 20teens. I don't think Marvel had an equivalent breakout star like Cass in the 00s--did they? I'm probably forgetting someone obvious...

Quote Originally Posted by justinslot View Post
    Yeah Harley and Deadpool both have massively more cultural cache than Kamala, and they have similar functions in their universes.

The timing doesn't match up but I think the closest DC equivalent to Kamala is Cass Cain. Kamala is the Cass of the 20teens. I don't think Marvel had an equivalent breakout star like Cass in the 00s--did they? I'm probably forgetting someone obvious...
    I'd say X-23 was Marvel's Cass. They were both considerably big in the 2000s and have similar origins and stories.

BANNED

Regarding Jessica Cruz:
    She was created by the (at the time) Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment. I'm going to guess she was made SPECIFICALLY FOR things like DC Superhero Girls, and that she was NOT put in that spot because she was a breakout success in comics...because she wasn't.

Furthermore, I'm not necessarily convinced of the touted success of Marvel's Ms. Marvel. Marvel just has an agenda to use and promote her a lot, which isn't anything dishonest, but I'm not convinced there is a great demand for the character. Some characters, like Harley Quinn, I can plainly see are very popular. Ms. Marvel? Uh...I just see Marvel promoting her a lot, and giving her comic series regardless of whether or not they sell well. Or if they DO sell well somewhere, I don't see it.

My own thoughts? She has a bizarre looking unaesthetic power, especially for a teen girl superhero, ESPECIALLY For the demo Marvel attempts to attract with her. Sailor Moon has a magic locket, tiara boomerang, a pen that can disguise her into what she wants, a magic moondust wand, and a talking cat. Ms. Marvel...becomes deformed? Um...if I was in the writer's room when they came up with this character, I would have voiced an objection here.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 10-18-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Regarding Jessica Cruz:
    She was created by the (at the time) Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment. I'm going to guess she was made SPECIFICALLY FOR things like DC Superhero Girls, and that she was NOT put in that spot because she was a breakout success in comics...because she wasn't.
    Jessica's origin involves her friends being killed on a hunting trip which isn't something that would be featured in child friendly material like DC Superhero girls. She was featured in DCSG because of her popularity (they don't just give spots like that to any character).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Jessica's origin involves her friends being killed on a hunting trip which isn't something that would be featured in child friendly material like DC Superhero girls. She was featured in DCSG because of her popularity (they don't just give spots like that to any character).
    If she's so popular why was her comic series selling so low? Or better yet, why did her comic series go away entirely, not to be replaced by anything else? Answer me that, Mr. Green Lantern.

If she's so popular why was her comic series selling so low? Or better yet, why did her comic series go away entirely, not to be replaced by anything else? Answer me that, Mr. Green Lantern.
    Sales are not the only way to gauge popularity. Also her book was selling higher than Hal Jordan's before Morrison started writing him.

Also, what's with the hostility?

BANNED

Sales are not the only way to gauge popularity. Also her book was selling higher than Hal Jordan's before Morrison started writing him.

Also, what's with the hostility?
    Well, to that, I say they the BEST way. Though, I will grant you that sales for a popular character can dip if the particular story they are in is poorly done. Also, to address one of your earlier points, Bumblebee is also on DC Superhero Girls, and if you think she is a popular character, you and I are defining popular differently.

Lastly, what's with the hostility is that it is a phantasm of your own mind.

Well, to that, I say they the BEST way. Though, I will grant you that sales for a popular character can dip if the particular story they are in is poorly done. Also, to address one of your earlier points, Bumblebee is also on DC Superhero Girls, and if you think she is a popular character, you and I are defining popular differently.

Lastly, what's with the hostility is that it is a phantasm of your own mind.
    Bumblebee is a popular character. She's been known from her days on the Teen Titans cartoon and her merchandise regularly sells out.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-18-2019 at 04:37 AM.

I think it was selling better then Hal N' Pals for a period, though I could be mis-remembering it.

I think it ended so they could re-structure everything around the Morrison relaunch.

Ultimate Member

I'd say X-23 was Marvel's Cass. They were both considerably big in the 2000s and have similar origins and stories.
    Yeah, I thought the perfect parallel was Ravager/Rose Wilson, when she seemed to be getting a big push, but Cassandra Cain is probably an even better comparison to Laura / X-23.

Damian i guess.

They could've had one but they've dropped the ball several times.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8