Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm still buying it, 'cause I buy all things Legion, even weird Legion-ish things like Hypernaturals or stuff at Marvel involving the Shiar Imperial Guard. I may want better, but I don't want *any* version of the Legion to fail. That just discourages the suits from trying at all, 'cause they are not 'the brave & the bold' when it comes to investing time and money on a title/franchise that is beginning to look like a money (and talent) sink.

There's some sort of 'the old fanbase can't sustain the title anyway, so we need to totally revamp the franchise to appeal to new fans, at the cost of shedding the older ones' concept that seems less successful than desired. *Maybe* the Legion can't succeed in a style that appeals to the older fans, because there just aren't enough of them left, after all these failed attempts to change everything (which have succeeded only in splintering and fractionalizing the fanbase, IMO). But whatever this is, doesn't seem to be setting the house on fire, either.

(Heck, I bought Youngblood, 'cause I wanted Rob Liefield to be super successful at his new gig, and never get his paws on my New Mutants again, so I'm no stranger to buying comics for weird reasons.)
    You should never encourage mediocrity. I used to feel like you and supported the Legion through the Threeboot which was garbage and I disliked alot, but at some point you have to show DC where you stand with your money. I saw all the previews and even read issue 1, but I can not and will not support a book I dislike this much even when it is a property I love as much as the Legion. Don't waste your time rewarding DC for a product you don't like in the hopes it will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    You should never encourage mediocrity. I used to feel like you and supported the Legion through the Threeboot which was garbage and I disliked alot, but at some point you have to show DC where you stand with your money. I saw all the previews and even read issue 1, but I can not and will not support a book I dislike this much even when it is a property I love as much as the Legion. Don't waste your time rewarding DC for a product you don't like in the hopes it will get better.
    I probably suffer from this as well. There are a small number of franchises I follow "no matter what". However, the franchises that get that level of loyalty from me may occasionally have a horrible streak, but they get better in a short frame of time. Now that only works for a run which has delivered over decades.

Astonishing Member

I know most comic book collectors are cursed to support titles far longer than they should - be it out of a false sense of loyalty -- or from not wanting toe disturb a long run in their collections. It's just not worth it --- and your money is better spent on other things (like maybe a classic Legion collection).

Unless I completely dislike a series, I will give it an initial 6-issues -- especially for Legion. And so far, there is enough in the book to keep me going through 6 -- and possibly beyond. I will never enjoy Bendis's Legion as much as the classic Legion, but I could say that about any title currently being published by DC or Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Don't waste your time rewarding DC for a product you don't like in the hopes it will get better.
    Oh, I don't expect it to get better. Even fans of Bendis will often admit that he starts out strong, but doesn't really seem to always follow through with a big finish (although that could as easily be blamed on editorial shying away from whatever big finish he's got planned...). So I expect it to get even less enjoyable, for me, actually.

But DC (and Marvel, for that matter) have the insane idea that if they give us crap often only tangentially or 'in name only' related to a beloved franchise, and it doesn't sell, that means that *the franchise* is no good, not that the particular crap they fed us with that name emblazoned on it was no good. They've been doing this for decades, even when it's demonstrably proven wrong. (Such as that time when Avi Arad said, after the failures of Catwoman and Elektra, that 'comic fans don't want to see movies about strong women,' when the lesson that he *should* have taken away from that was that 'comic fans don't want to see movies *that suck.*' It took decades, and the successes of Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel to put that 'conventional wisdom' to the lie. I expect it will take awhile before the 'conventional wisdom' that dressing up a turd in the regalia of a particular franchise, and it failing, is a reflection on *the franchise.*)