Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I find the Superboy history of Clark with the Legion patheticcally bad for myself. Nothing works for me, so I'm really glad that it was removed. But LoSH has a lot of hurdles to overcome anyway. I just find laughable that its story, which is extremely dated (unlike One Piece which I find to be evergreen in its treatment of its themes) is hailed as a masterpiece by some.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I find the Superboy history of Clark with the Legion patheticcally bad for myself. Nothing works for me, so I'm really glad that it was removed. But LoSH has a lot of hurdles to overcome anyway. I just find laughable that its story, which is extremely dated (unlike One Piece which I find to be evergreen in its treatment of its themes) is hailed as a masterpiece by some.
    Ehm! Post timeskip fans vs pretimeskip fans is a thing.
    That's a valid opinion. But, the performance since then of the later seems to suggest something broken until geoff johnes reintroduced them. So masterpiece or not, it means something. It has to be acknowledged . The established lore is the core And it shouldn't be removed to move forward. Clark kent is superboy without him there is no conner, no jon, no chris and no nothing. These guys instead of creating a legacy legion for jon decided to erase the old one for the umpteenth time. As if the countless reboots didn't teach them anything.Legion is fundamentally tied to clark kent superboy.not the Metropolis kid, not the son or cousin of superman. As if flight ring and wierd goofy costumes can be inspired by ironman.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-15-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    I agree with you, and I want the classic Legion back. I am not anti-Bends at all, and am enjoying his Superman run, but his name is not what the Legion needs right now. My fear is this trick will cost Legion's current hype.
    DC's history suggests the standard launch.

1) No Legion book.
    2) New creator shows up and talks about how much he loves the Legion.
    3) New Legion title bears only superficial resemblance to the Legion he claimed to love, disappointing any of the old Legion fans who were suckered into buying it.
    4) DC cancels new Legion book, and claims that fans are unpleasable, because they, once again, bait and switched them.
    5) No Legion book.

We're already at stage 3.

Extraordinary Member

It's hard to sell a book based on a huge team that's been around since the 1950s when you do it in such a way where 80% (or more) of the members are unrecognizable from their historical look.

It's like revamping Wonder Woman, only she has pink hair and green skin with an ugly bulky costume.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I am going to pass. As much as I love the Legion I just can't get on board with Bendisboot. One of the main draws of the Legion is its rich and long history, and Bendis just chucked all that out the window. Waid did the same thing and his reboot died a slow sad death just like I predict this one will. Fans of the Legion are a loyal bunch is you respect the history, but when you don't we turn on you pretty fast. Bendis fans will eat it up because they always eat up what he puts out be it good or bad, but I have no idea what non Benids fans will think of this book. I know going by reading a lot of Bendis previous team books that they are not his strength.

That's my biggest problem with all of DC these days. Reboot after reboot -- history lost or mangled.

I'll give this a try, but am keeping expectations low. I think they went a bit too far with the overhaul. I would have preferred more new characters than totally erasing the classic members.

Extraordinary Member

No, it'll be in limbo forever, because outside an ageing cadre of fans, nobody gives a **** to classic Legion.
    Oh, well then, how can I (a guy still in his 20s) give a **** about them? And guess what, I actually introduced one of my best friends, a guy my age, to the classic Levitz run on Legion of Superheroes and he ate it up. Absolutely loved it. What you need to learn about comics is that the classic versions always come back. Every time Marvel or DC tries to shake things up with their characters, it only lasts for a short while before the classic iterations make their return. It happened with the New 52, with Superman and Wonder Woman and Batman. Its happened with Captain America and Spider-Man. Its happening now with the JSA. Its even happened with the Legion before when Waid tried rebooting it. So, yeah, in a few years, its likely the Bendisboot will face the same fate as Waid's.

Also, if you don't give a f&%k about a franchise, why bother reading it?

I find the Superboy history of Clark with the Legion patheticcally bad for myself. Nothing works for me, so I'm really glad that it was removed.
    Well, there are fans who love it, so...

But LoSH has a lot of hurdles to overcome anyway. I just find laughable that its story, which is extremely dated (unlike One Piece which I find to be evergreen in its treatment of its themes) is hailed as a masterpiece by some.
    Why don't you actually, I don't know, read some of classic Levitz/Giffen Legion of Superheroes comics before trashing a franchise that you don't really know much about? And how do you not see the irony in your comment? Just like how you see One Piece as evergreen, a lot of fans see the classic Legion as evergreen.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-16-2019 at 08:40 PM.

I’ve never read the Levitz / Giffen Legion so maybe that’s worth a look. The issue I read was drawn by Mike Grell & the fashion was 70’s. The story was pretty simple which I’d expect being from so long ago. What I had trouble with is Superman being in the future when he was a teenager. That just makes no sense to me at all. That plus all the code names seemed silly. I like what I’ve seen so far so I’m willing to try the new book.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Why is Bendis writing this? I don't mind Bendis but I will not buy his book in floppy form because his stories are too decompressed... But I fear if I do not buy this in floppy form, then the book will fail and the Legion will be shelved again...

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I’ve never read the Levitz / Giffen Legion so maybe that’s worth a look. The issue I read was drawn by Mike Grell & the fashion was 70’s. The story was pretty simple which I’d expect being from so long ago. What I had trouble with is Superman being in the future when he was a teenager. That just makes no sense to me at all. That plus all the code names seemed silly. I like what I’ve seen so far so I’m willing to try the new book.
    Dude, what are you talking about? It's the silverage. That guy isn't bound by your sense. He will do cool **** that suits him. Why should what superman does make sense? It an imaginary tale like, all of them. Anything that can happen will happen .He was visited by legion because superman inspired them. Superboy as teenager who was "the boy of tomorrow" with strength, speed, intelligence... Etc that are far beyond his present world he occupied, decided to join them for wacky adventures. What so hard to understand?
    I take it, you have hard time reading something that is so different from "i am the best at what i do, bub" . No offence.But, i get somethings aren't for everyone.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-16-2019 at 07:35 AM.

So somehow Superboy teleports himself into the future whenever he’s needed? How does he find the exact moment to travel to? How does he come back to the right time? Doesn’t he learn things about the future that he wouldn’t want to know? The other characters treat him like a normal teenager even though he’s a legend from the past? Why would a group with so many members need to reach into the past occasionally for help? My head hurts trying to understand this stuff!

Like you said, it’s Silver age and I don’t usually do well with older comics. I’m still thinking Bendis can make some good Legion stories so I’m going to try this title.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 10-16-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I mean, I don't really get what's so hard to grasp there. He was picked up by the Legion who travelled back in time to bring him to the future. Its not any more complicated than the story behind Cable or Old Man Logan.

I guess what I’m confused about is I thought Superman traveled back & fourth. Honestly, I don’t even know what he uses to travel through time. I’m assuming it’s the Legion ring. I guess I don’t think of Superman as a time traveler. If he goes to the future and stays for awhile I can grasp that better than he has a mission in the future and then goes home. Staying in the future for his teen years makes more sense. I didn’t know that was part of his old continuity.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 10-16-2019 at 08:20 AM.

So somehow Superboy teleports himself into the future whenever he’s needed? How does he find the exact moment to travel to? How does he come back to the right time? Doesn’t he learn things about the future that he wouldn’t want to know? The other characters treat him like a normal teenager even though he’s a legend from the past? Why would a group with so many members need to reach into the past occasionally for help? My head hurts trying to understand this stuff!

Like you said, it’s Silver age and I don’t usually do well with older comics. I’m still thinking Bendis can make some good Legion stories so I’m going to try this title.
    He has the legion ring doesn't he. And dumb luck/barreling into trouble is something the kents do, all of them. I mean pa and ma found the kid and raised it. The kid could easily break the planet with a tantrum. But he turns out good. That's the kind of dumb luck, they have.

It's like this, i want to meet lincoln or gandhi or whoever . I got myself a timemachine went back in time to meet the guy.simple, he might be legend in the past. But, he hasn't become that legend yet.so for them, he is just his friend. I mean, as i said if i get to meet lincoln of my age group and become friends . I wouldn't be shovering with praise or respect for his future deeds. I would be like "hey, bud. How ya bin".
    you fail to find clark being in legion credible. but don't find jon being in legion bizarre? They are teens having a little fun. Do you think they will be thinking about "the grave dangers of time travel". No, they won't be. Anyways, many a time Clark's memories ar erased. Many times it isn't.

To be honest, I’m not crazy about Jon being in the Legion. Why can’t someone in the future just take up the Superboy name? Why have a Superboy at all? I wish all the characters were from the same period.

I love the art and Bendis is always solid so I’m definitely giving this a few issues.

To be honest, I’m not crazy about Jon being in the Legion. Why can’t someone in the future just take up the Superboy name? Why have a Superboy at all? I wish all the characters were from the same period.

I love the art and Bendis is always solid so I’m definitely giving this a few issues.
    There isn't a "the superboy" in the future. Clark is the one they want. It is important. Nobody else can take that spot.in turn, Legion is the group kid clark needs."the boy of tomorrow" is too fast, too strong and too intelligent for his own good. So much so he feels like an outsider. Nobody can keep up with him, not even pa and ma as hard as they try. Superboy is the symbol of aspirations of humanity and limitlessnes of its imagination and potential . Silverage superman is "the man of tomorrow". He is the first literal alien immigrant to America and became very successful . Its self full filing cycle. A time loop. Superman inpires the legion and made that a future possible. In turn, superboy (superman as kid) gets inspired by the legion and trains alongside with them. The vision of silverage superman is consistent.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-16-2019 at 09:45 AM.