Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    That doesn't even remotely make sense though. They, the writers, have known the ending of Doomsday Clock for years now, and it would've just been a simple matter of Bendis not saying that Jon exclusively inspired the Legion with his actions on Unity Day. That's what he did with the Kents. Early on he wrote nothing to contradict the idea that the Kents were alive.

How do they "catch up" with a story where Clark Kent still has his secret identity and Alfred is still alive? The changes that they wanted to keep such as Clark being Superboy and the Kents being back have never been contradicted once in Bendis' Superman run. He's just simply not addressed them. But, again, that's not the case with Jon inspiring the Legion with Unity Day. He's unambiguously clear on that, and he's said multiple times that that is the first time anyone is meeting the Legion. He didn't play games like he did when asked if the Kents were still alive.

There's a clear distinction. These are Jon's friends in this continuity.

Yes they are. Look on the page before that where they're talking about how Clark as Superboy inspired them. That's a long haired Saturn Girl and (possibly white) Cosmic Boy with their classic suits on.

It's only the same Legion because it seems that Johns' personal intent was to make it so it was Superman that inspired the Legion and they had to use the new looks for general visual cohesiveness regardless of story (this is why Superman's and Betman's suit on the covers are from Reborn, but inside they are classic. It's because midway though they chanced in the books), but that's only Bendis' Legion in look alone. In intent that's basically Johns' Legion from Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Sure, and that's a perfectly valid personal opinion to have and feeling to feel, but it's factually not accurate in this continuity given everything we've seen in the actual books and heard in interviews. That is my only point. If he does date someone on the team, I'm sure it'll be odd for a few long time fans. But it's a reboot with a clear distinction.
    It is time travel reality shinenegans. Till, Doomsday clock clark isn't the inspiration, jon is. After reaching that point, the past is changed that incoudes the current events in bendis run.so legion becomes inspired by clark kent,Not jon kent.It similar to how jon will from now on always had grandpa and grandma kent.
    This another expample, sam and jon relationship.

Bendis is right. that was the first time anyone i. E the audience had seen legion,till that point. Its flat out stated that Clark kent is the inspiration, after dr. Manhattan went back. So, the time realigns. Now, jon just went with his dad's friends for training in the future, after he created united planets.
    Dude, that's the current costumes. Not the old one. It's not even the secret origins costumes. The long haired saturn girl is this current short haired saturn girl's past self, after dr. Manhattan fixed everything

Secret identity and alfred thing can be explained. Alfred could have easily been revived by then. Superman identity thing could be happening after doomsday clock. The way i see things going is up until jon goes to future is pre doomsday clock. After that is after doomsday clock. Either way doomsday clock is too big to be "it's own corner". It will connect. And bendis himself said everything will tied up by him.

No,in doomsday clock
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-25-2019 at 11:55 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Secret identity and alfred thing can be explained. Alfred could have easily been revived by then.
    Lol and then he dies again just before 5G so Bruce can be Luke's support back in the Bat cave, right?

C'mon now. It seems the rumors were super true, and Johns' original plan for things post Rebirth got canned behind the scenes after he stepped down from his position, and, as the Bleeding Cool rumor stated, if Doomsday Clock were made today it would've been an out of continuity Black Label title.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Lol and then he dies again just before 5G so Bruce can be Luke's support back in the Bat cave, right?

C'mon now. It seems the rumors were super true, and Johns' original plan for things post Rebirth got canned behind the scenes after he stepped down from his position, and, as the Bleeding Cool rumor stated, if Doomsday Clock were made today it would've been an out of continuity Black Label title.
    Regardless, of back office politics. They might have tried that, but they got a different feedback and had to change their tune. Even snyder went back and said its important, everything will connect. Bendis on the other hand always planned to connect. So he would have planned with doomsday clock in mind.And This politics, They do not control reader/audience demand. Audiences are king.Not Dan didio,you want proof. The sinking boat, that was heroes in crisis and original plan of throwing wally in suicide squad after making him a murderer. Doomsday clock is one of the biggest book dc had past year. Minor discrepancies will be ironed out. If they try to play down the payoff Doomsday clock had with legion and clark. I don't think it will be recieved well. They aren't going for that especially since 5G itself is teased in it. Metaverse is one of the universe defining concepts that comes out of it. I don't think it's going to be pushed aside.
    Alfred is dead in 5G? Is that even confirmed?Alfred could still be alive. 5G feels like it's own time period after a timeskip.

Bendis on the other hand always planned to connect. So he would have planned with doomsday clock in mind.
    If Bendis planned on following Doomsday Clock to the letter then why would he be so clear that Jon was the one who inspired the Legion through the creation of the UP? You haven't explained that in your rationalization yet.

He's clearly been aware of how Doomsday Clock would end from the beginning, but he made the choice to clearly state who inspired the Legion. He could've easily have left it ambiguous like he did Clark as Superboy or the Kents being alive, but he did not. He's also gone on record multiple times saying that this is the first time anyone in the DCU is meeting the Legion.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-25-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

On a positive note, the current costumes really shine compared to the older versions. I’m not that familiar with classic Legion but I’m really digging the new looks. Huge improvement there

8D485AB5-7C1B-457F-B40E-2F26A366F17E.jpg

D3B1D574-633E-4C51-AF92-AE598D817881.jpg

If Bendis planned on following Doomsday Clock to the letter then why would he be so clear that Jon was the one who inspired the Legion through the creation of the UP? You haven't explained that in your rationalization yet.

He's clearly been aware of how Doomsday Clock would end from the beginning, but he made the choice to clearly state who inspired the Legion. He could've easily have left it ambiguous like he did Clark as Superboy or the Kents being alive, but he did not. He's also gone on record multiple times saying that this is the first time anyone in the DCU is meeting the Legion.
    No, he can't leave it ambiguous because people associate legion with superboy clark kent. Not, the kid that runs around with batkid.Because clark wasn't supposed to be superboy or have any connection till the finish of Doomsday clock. If bendis had said that clark and legion had connection when he introduced them, or left it ambiguous it would have only lead to questions. Legion is different from ma and pa. They are in the spotlight. Ma and pa are not, they can be hidden. Legion's past cannot be hidden .Then doomsday clock wouldn't have had any payoffs to begin with. This way doomsday clock will have its impact and bendis gets to do what he wants with legion. Now that doomsday clock is finished with payoffs,Bendis will tie that knot.if you think about it,The "one behind you" treatment in superman book clark got from the legion was also payed off with doomsday clock. Now, both parties remember each other.

Clark kent superboy and legion would have been younger boys/gal/others that hung out in the future when they were kids.Now, legion are college kids they went back to see united planet being formed and saw jon kent.The rest is history. The difference from what is show will be that clark and legion will have known each other when they give jon the offer.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-25-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Probably the fact that he still works at the Daily Planet and wears his glasses as if nothing happened. In Bendis run there are very real questions on if he'll still be allowed to do that going forward. And given the fact that most reports and rumors say that 5G is likely to have a fairly substantial time skip where Alfred is still very much dead (thus requiring Bruce to be Luke's 'guy in the chair') I think it's pretty safe to say that Alfred didn't just come back from the dead between then only to die again before 5G.
    Except literally everything you said here is conjecture and rumors. Clark dresses up "as Clark" because that's just who he is. He's Clark first, Superman second. That's been a part of his character for a very, very long time. As for Alfred, well, we have him here in a book that was stated to be taking place a year from the current status quo of the DCU and he's alive. That's the fact.

And the idea that you're implying that DC would be cool with giving away that a character who has never died before will be back shortly after they are killed seems like an odd stance. Doomsday Clock is pretty clearly its own thing with only circumstantial parallels to things going on in the books. Again, Scott Snyder very clearly said as much.
    Again, Doomsday Clock was stated to be in-continuity. Snyder only said he wasn't going to be hamstrung by it because he was making use of the JSA characters before it wrapped up. Now, it has and it even seems to be aligning with the timeline of the DCU that Didio himself is backing. I doubt they'd just trash it if it even apparently has Dan Didio behind the version of the DCU that comes out of it.

I'm saying that likely doesn't matter at all given the fact that they still contradicted it very directly even though they knew full well what Johns had in mind. The fact that Bendis went out of his way to contradict that but never contradicted the idea that Clark was Superboy in his youth or the idea that the Kents could still be alive seems to indicate the intent very clearly.
    They were still operating in a pre-Doomsday Clock world. Now that Doomsday Clock has wrapped up and its effects on the timeline are likely to be implemented, who knows what's going to happen. It's possible that the next issue of Legion sees Imra recounting that time she and Clark went on a crazy adventure when they were teenagers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    On a positive note, the current costumes really shine compared to the older versions. I’m not that familiar with classic Legion but I’m really digging the new looks. Huge improvement there

I certainly don't think they are. The classic looks are so much better. And somehow less problematic. Timber Wolf's classic look was so far superior to the new design. And don't even get me started on Dawnstar.

It's okay. But, i flat out don't like dawnstar and karate kid costumes. They suck.

I am not gonna go into who superman is inside debate it is different for different eras. That's besides the point. Bendis and clark himself have both said superman will keep on being clark kent,continue his fight for truth and justice with pen, paper and good old fashion determination.

No, he can't leave it ambiguous because people associate legion with superboy clark kent. Not, the kid that runs around with batkid.Because clark wasn't supposed to be superboy or have any connection till the finish of Doomsday clock. If bendis had said that clark and legion had connection when he introduced them.Then doomsday clock wouldn't have had any payoffs to begin with. This way doomsday clock will have its impact and bendis gets to do what he wants with legion. Now that doomsday clock is finished with payoffs,Bendis will tie that knot.if you think about it,The "one behind you" treatment in superman book clark got from the legion was also payed off with doomsday clock. Now, both parties remember each other.
    What you're saying here is nonsensical. Bendis could easily have them say something to the effective of being inspired by Jon's father, but wanting to take Jon because of the monumental moment of him creating the UP, but he doesn't. He has them say "we dedicated our lives to the ideals of superheroes in direct honor of this day...this--the greatest day in the age of heroes". And then to top things off in issue 16 of Superman Clark literally says that he was never given the same opportunities as a kid that Jon is being given with the invitation. That's Bendis doubling down on the idea that it's Jon's Legion.

Then to add on to all of that, Bendis flat out said that this is the first time anyone is meeting the Legion in this continuity, and that this is an outright reboot so he's doing an Ultimate version of the Legion.

But funny enough, when someone asked Bendis if the Kents were alive he THEN decided to play coy and say that he'd have to wait for Doomsday Clock.

The intent on Bendis' part is clear.

Clark kent superboy and legion would have been younger boys/gal/others that hung out in the future when they were kids.Now, legion are college kids they went back to see united planet being formed and saw jon kent.
    Well, we'll see what issue 4 of Legion of Super-Heroes has to say about it. That's gonna be the origin story of the Legion. We'll see how old they were and what they looked like before coming to get Jon.

But I'll just say that from the looks of things the Legion hasn't been around long, and our main three (Cos, Saturn Girl, and Lighting Lad) are still very wet behind the ears and not great with their powers yet.

Also, if you go ahead and look at the second cover for issue 2 you can see the main three form the Legion looking just like they do now.

I am not gonna go into who superman is inside debate it is different for different eras. That's besides the point. Bendis and clark himself have both said superman will keep on being clark kent,continue his fight for truth and justice with pen, paper and good old fashion determination.
    And Bendis has also asked the question of if Clark will be allowed to keep his job or continue to be a reporter. That's my point. In Doomsday Clock he's clearly still a reporter. You genuinely think the resolution to that question is that everyone will eventually go back to treating Clark like nothing happened and it'll be like he never reveal his identity? C'mon now.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-25-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Except literally everything you said here is conjecture and rumors. Clark dresses up "as Clark" because that's just who he is. He's Clark first, Superman second. That's been a part of his character for a very, very long time.
    Well...okay, but that's not what we're talking about here. What we're talking about is if Clark will even be legally allowed to continue working at the Daily Planet like we see him in Doomsday Clock that was originally set to be in the future of the DCU. He sure wants to, but that doesn't mean he'll be allowed to. We don't know the answer yet, and I doubt it will have been spoiled by Doomday Clock here.

They were still operating in a pre-Doomsday Clock world. Now that Doomsday Clock has wrapped up and its effects on the timeline are likely to be implemented, who knows what's going to happen. It's possible that the next issue of Legion sees Imra recounting that time she and Clark went on a crazy adventure when they were teenagers.
    Then lets wait till more issues come out. I'll happily eat my words and scratch my head at these choices if it comes to pass, but we'll see.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-25-2019 at 01:10 PM.

To be honest, I still think some of the redesigns are a bit much and I've seen better updates of the classic Legion looks compared to the Sook designs (and trust me, there have been a lot of Legion redesigns over the years.)

What you're saying here is nonsensical. Bendis could easily have them say something to the effective of being inspired by Jon's father, but wanting to take Jon because of the monumental moment of him creating the UP, but he doesn't. He has them say "we dedicated our lives to the ideals of superheroes in direct honor of this day...this--the greatest day in the age of heroes". And then to top things off in issue 16 of Superman Clark literally says that he was never given the same opportunities as a kid that Jon is being given with the invitation. That's Bendis doubling down on the idea that it's Jon's Legion.

Then to add on to all of that, Bendis flat out said that this is the first time anyone is meeting the Legion in this continuity, and that this is an outright reboot so he's doing an Ultimate version of the Legion.

But funny enough, when someone asked Bendis if the Kents were alive he THEN decided to play coy and say that he'd have to wait for Doomsday Clock.

The intent on Bendis' part is clear.

Well, we'll see what issue 4 of Legion of Super-Heroes has to say about it. That's gonna be the origin story of the Legion. We'll see how old they were and what they looked like before coming to get Jon.

But I'll just say that from the looks of things the Legion hasn't been around long, and our main three (Cos, Saturn Girl, and Lighting Lad) are still very wet behind the ears and not great with their powers yet.

Also, if you go ahead and look at the second cover for issue 2 you can see the main three form the Legion looking just like they do now.

I have edited my comment. It isn't nonsensical. If bendis had did that doomsday clock would have no pay off. What would be the payoffs, think about it? those things like clark never having opportunities will be retconned and served its purpose with the end of Doomsday clock. Now, clark did have opportunities and opposed to clark not haveing them before. It comes full circle. It's the same logic as ma and pa's advice to clark in doomsday clock. There is a before jsa exiting and after jsa existing in past. It is also similar to reborn undoing the whole 'not part of this earth and being whites' thing. If reborn can change tomasi's run. Doomsday clock can change Bendis's run. You can hate it. But, that is perfectly plausible.

This is essentially what happens. Before dr. manhattan fixing thing,clark had no opportunities. After dr.Manhattan fixed things clark had opportunities.
    I have said that what bendis said was true at the time. This continuity just changed, mate.hiding legion like ma and pa is difficult. Ma and pa themselves remained dead till doomsday clock, reversed it. I have no skin in the game, ultimately. For me, these guys aren't going to be jon's friends. They are Clark's friends. The boy that grew up as an outsider's friends, Not the kid that grewup surrounded by people more wierd than him. Clark is the former, jon is the latter . Jon's friends are kathy, maya, damian..etc.These guys will forever be perceived as Clark's legion. Doomsday clock only cemented that notion. People are going to remember doomsday clock more than another relaunch of legion. What happens in that book will be seen as more important. And in that book, clark kent is legion's inspiration. Jon having an unwanted relationship with any LEGIONNAIRES will be no different than jon dating wonder woman, zatanna... Etc. Even clark and ww or zatanna had no relationship in this continuity. Doesn't mean she is fair game for jon. It's cringe worthy.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-25-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Most of these characters have had dozens of looks over the years and these new versions are by for the worst. Ugly and overly busy and just flat out ugly in some cases.