Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

I was excited for the return of the legion.
    I was.
    Now...sorry. Not for me. Not in the future either.
    This just killed my interest.
    I mean, even if this iteration (the fifth? the sixth)itis successful, what will happen when a relaunch or a change of guard would be necessary, after Bendis? What will happen next? Another star writer trying to recreate the Legion from the beggining again? It happened when Waid did his threeboot, which was a waste of talent.

It is as Sutekh put it:

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    DC's history suggests the standard launch.

1) No Legion book.
    2) New creator shows up and talks about how much he loves the Legion.
    3) New Legion title bears only superficial resemblance to the Legion he claimed to love, disappointing any of the old Legion fans who were suckered into buying it.
    4) DC cancels new Legion book, and claims that fans are unpleasable, because they, once again, bait and switched them.
    5) No Legion book.

We're already at stage 3.
    Only I would add: 6) Repeat.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I was looking forward to the Legion coming back. Guess you really do need to be careful what you wish for. I am not against reboots or redesigns, but this is too much of a departure. For goodness sake, why did they feel the need to race bend Lightning Lad? I know the Legion has an abundance of white characters (due to being created in the 50's), but you don't remedy that by changing existing characters. You achieve it by creating new characters.
    Exactly. The worst thing with Lighting Lad race ebnd is than trying to be diverse they fell in their own cliche trope.

The Legion doesn't need constant reboots. It has a rich history and strong foundation. All it needs is for creator's to come in and build on upon that. It just seems strange that Bendis claims he is a fan, but instead chooses to do his own "thing." I am enjoying his Superman stuff, but I just can't bring myself to invest in this.

It is probably for the best. DC is just going to blow everything up when their next Crisis happens.
    And the Bendis century the first to be gone.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

So, Nostalgia Fanatics won't give a chance to a book because it isn't exactly what they want, which is a new series exactly as the series which already failed.

In other news, water wets.
    Last edited by Korath; 10-17-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    So, Nostalgia Fanatics won't give a chance to a book because it isn't exactly what they want, which is a new series exactly as the series which already failed[/B].
    No, what fans want are new, exciting stories and directions, but told with the characters we know and love like the Hickman X-Men relaunch. Did Marvel have to completely rewrite history to do that?? No. When will DC learn that lesson. You'd think the utter failure of the New 52 would have taught them that.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Curious to say the least. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the redesigns, and I've been ambivalent towards Bendis for years, still, I'll keep an open mind and give this new Legion book a try.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I just want to read the thing already. Hard to believe issue #1 hasn't even come out yet with all this discussion and people already going through the whole cycle of being excited, apprehensive, disappointed, outraged, then dropping it. At least if there were a book, we'd have something to really talk about.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-18-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    So, Nostalgia Fanatics won't give a chance to a book because it isn't exactly what they want, which is a new series exactly as the series which already failed.

In other news, water wets.
    This is a valid observation. But hey, if we're Legion fans, it's because of the stories that have already been published. We'd be somewhat biased in what we like for LSH.

I have some doubts about what is coming. I'll certainly back up any doubts I have with my reasons, but I will definitely try the book and over the years, Legion's gotten a lot of credibility to be worth sticking with because most versions have been good and I've liked them. THAT'S why I'm a Legion fan.

I've used the "pizza" analogy with JSA fans and it probably applies to legion fans as well. We all like pizza (LSH), but when it come time to order, we can never agree on toppings.

I expect a more complete preview the week before the book's release. Dialogue may erase or confirm doubts some people have about Bendis' story.

Folks, please keep things civil. (Just for the record, certain posts were deleted not because they were objectionable themselves, but because they referenced and included copies of objectionable posts.)
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

I googled Legion images trying to find what a classic lineup looks like. I’m pretty clueless. The one I’ve attached came up quite a bit. Not knocking it at all but this wouldn’t grab my interest at all. I like that Bendis has tried to make characters more diverse. Maybe he should’ve focused on a new set of Legion heroes though rather than alter the old ones.

F6EA49E3-81DF-4F0A-A2EE-2B258E090131.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I googled Legion images trying to find what a classic lineup looks like. I’m pretty clueless. The one I’ve attached came up quite a bit. Not knocking it at all but this wouldn’t grab my interest at all. I like that Bendis has tried to make characters more diverse. Maybe he should’ve focused on a new set of Legion heroes though rather than alter the old ones.

F6EA49E3-81DF-4F0A-A2EE-2B258E090131.jpg
    Well, how about these lineups?

The Legion is more than what they were in the 50s. They evolved past that and became one of DC's most popular teams. And in terms of diversity, the Legion was probably leagues ahead of other teams at DC (and even at Marvel). It was actually the Legion that introduced one of DC's first black heroes in Tyroc. On top of that, they're the team that probably boasts DC's most prominent Native American hero in Dawnstar.

So, yeah, the Legion is team with a rich and developed history. Its all of that development, though, that Bendis is chucking out the window.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-18-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Fantastic Member

Issue #3 already has a fill-in artist...

Cos haircut is so bad
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Actually, Green Lantern Jon Stewart beats Tyroc by a few years but Tyroc was number #2 beating Black Lightning by a year I think.

I love the Legion!! I love anything from the 60’s up to the 80’s. I kind of lost track of the group after Crisis. My first comic actually was a 70’s reprint featuring the Composite Superman who had the powers of the entire 60’s Legion.

In the last image posted above, I forgot Giffen slipped in both Batman & Spider-man.
    Last edited by Jon-El; 10-18-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    Actually, Green Lantern Jon Stewart beats Tyroc by a few years but Tyroc was number #2 beating Black Lightning by a year I think.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Mal Duncan of Teen Titans beat John Stewart by a year or two. His first appearance was either 1969 or 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Mal Duncan of Teen Titans beat John Stewart by a year or two. His first appearance was either 1969 or 1970.
    Yeah he first appeared in 1970
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8