Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Okay, this is just a wall of text. Please try to make it shorter.

Dude. What are you even talking about??? No. Stories require at least a touch of reality to be taken seriously. Characters need to behave truthfully under a given set of circumstances, even when the circumstances are out there. If the circumstance is that Metropolis is a city very much in the U.S. and subject to U.S. laws and governance, no rational person is going to be like "I'm gonna take this and go up into space with it." Unless of course you're Brainiac, in which case you're a villain.

I feel like I shouldn't have to say why it'd be a bad idea to make Metropolis into a city of fire, but what the heck. Metropolis, from its very early days was presented as a representation of the "everyday American city." That's the context of it. It's SUPPOSED to be like New York or Philadelphia or Baltimore, except Superman lives there. And in fact, it's meant to GROUND Superman. It was meant as a signal to kids like "hey look, Superman lives in a city just like the one you live in. Isn't that neat?" Now, you could do a story where Metropolis turns into a city of vampires for a short period of time, but it would have to revert back eventually since again it's meant to be a stand in for real American cities.

Captain America in Civil War wasn't trying to rocket away with Washington, DC.

Taking a city away from the country of which it's a part usually signals that such person believes they own it or at least have the authority to decide its future. Clark is nowhere near that arrogant. It's shocking that you think he is.

Okay. I don't know if you're actually serious with this or not...

Last I checked, the people of Metropolis hadn't appointed Superman their lord and savior nor had they renounced the U.S. government. And EVEN IF Superman approached them with this offer (which, again, he wouldn't), it would be incredibly unrealistic and just plain bad writing for all like 10 million people in Metropolis to be like "Oh yes, Superman, take us away from Earth and launch us into orbit. We trust you that much." That just wouldn't happen.

On top of that, flowery language from the Declaration of Independence aside, sovereignty is a concept that goes back way farther than that document. It's a basic tenet of international law. And breaching a nation's sovereignty is a serious offense. You really think the U.S. government wouldn't have a legitimate gripe if Superman just up and decided to steal one of their major cities?? You think they would just sit by an let it happen?? Suspension of disbelief only goes so far.
    Not, all stories need to be taken seriously. Besides, that superman can and has done such stories. Superman is a flexible character. And as for rationality, what's so irrational about building a city of tomorrow?as matter of fact, not building one is. it just happens to fly. If it threaten the us government. That's on them. Who said it wouldn't have realism?it won't adhere to it full, that's it. Emotional realism can be there. Not a necessary as well.

No, it's not. Metropolis has been many things through out it's tenure. It has been corrupt hell, cyberpunk, futuristic, atomic age... Etc. Even, bendis has a city being eco friendly with trees on buildings and stuff. It was meant to be the city of tomorrow. That's what it's supposed to be. Not everyday nonsense. Ground - shmound it's freaking boring and unimaginative. That's what it is. A guy who flys getting grounded is like being in a cage. It's a metaphor, btw. And no, it isn't a dig at the cast. His cast used to fly with him. Yeah! Kids will looooove reading things about "a city like ours". Dude, have you ever given kids superman book and asked them about the city? I have. They said its boring. At the same time, i gave a gotham book. They said it was cool. I showed them water7 or skypiea. They were amazed. This is comics everything reverts back eventually. I know how it works. That's all the more reasons to make the city into whatever you want. Being imaginative is a gift.

Captain america wasn't flying a city away. Just a buch potential bombs. for instance, scarlet witch. Steve refuses to sign a document because he legitimately fights for ideals like freedom.He decides to become a fugitive instead. Superman would as well. Clark and steve value the ideals. So, yeah! Things like the words in declaration of independence and the philosophy of the American state being formed means more to them than the petty politics.

Nope! It means people of Metropolis decided they wanted to disband its affiliation, for so and so reasons.

Has not yet. Doesn't mean they won't. Does it? I would vote for superman if he decided to help make a city of tomorrow. Its a no-brainer. It might be a serious offence to the offended like the British whom US once fought. They can try.Like,clark cares. Clark fears nothing, not even darkseid . He is the freaking superman. As long as he has the consent of the people. He would take government on,if he has to. That's just how a guy doing the right thing functions. Like i said, it would an awesome storyline.superman taking on the army ain't nothing new.Superman is beast. He might have tamed himself because of people. But that doesn't mean he isn't dangerous.

You think a city of tomorrow is just about flying in the space. Do you have problems with reading comprehension? Flight is just a metaphor.Both laputa and new genesis are wayyyy advanced mega-structures. And i know concept of nationstate is older and sovereignity even older than that. But, it doesn't mean a thing to superman. Superman bows to no one, unless he wishes to. His morality is the only chain that binds him. That's the choice he makes.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-15-2020 at 11:02 PM.