Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Agree with this.

It still amazes me how much I disliked Levitz's last go-round with LSH. It just didn't have the magic of his 80s run.
    I agree. Sometimes you can't go home again...

Incredible Member

As a man of color, I'm partially offended by the apparent changes to the ethnicities of Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy. I know it's not meant to offend and more about adapting to cultural changes in todays climate, but I'm offended because I'm a big Legion fan and these are not the heroes I know. Is making the always angry and hot-headed Lightning Lad a black man really a good step forward?

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    As a man of color, I'm partially offended by the apparent changes to the ethnicities of Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy. I know it's not meant to offend and more about adapting to cultural changes in todays climate, but I'm offended because I'm a big Legion fan and these are not the heroes I know. Is making the always angry and hot-headed Lightning Lad a black man really a good step forward?
    I'm expecting his personality might get changed. He seems pretty chill on the covers.

Also falls into the "Lighnting Black guy" trope

BANNED

I don't care if someone has a different colour but I am curious why ginger characters all over media are changed to be black?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Agree with this.

It still amazes me how much I disliked Levitz's last go-round with LSH. It just didn't have the magic of his 80s run.
    I agree his recent run was just not good. It was like even had no idea what was going on with the Legion after Flashpoint and then losing half his cast to the horrible Legion Lost series didn't help. The weird thing is I thought his run on Adventure Comics featuring the Legion Academy from the same time was actually pretty good and felt a lot more like his classic run.

What would race look like 1000 years in the future? Multi-racial families are becoming more common as time goes on and if current trends continue, separation is fading. But that's Earth. When it comes to other planets, would the same races exist? I mean, planets with blue skinned humanoids and green skinned humanoids certainly would fall into the yellow, brown, pink colors Earth has.

Where the Legion needs to go is to find a setup for that time and stick with it. A thousand years have passed. A $#!+load of stuff has changed. Certainly Dawnstar SHOULD have a costume that properly and respectfully reflects a Native American heritage, if that even matters in the 31st century. But it should matter in books published today. There are many groups who study and create native American regalia and can certainly provide accurate detail. But unlike a comic book superhero costume, details matter. for this. I don't know enough to tell if it's potentially offensive (or at least god-awfully stereotypical and cartoonish) but I imagine there are readers and others who can.

It's no longer 40 or 50 years ago when having a character of a certain heritage was enough. If that heritage is used, it must be used correctly and respectfully.

It would be funny if a Kryptonian thought Superman's outfit was as eye-rolling as some people see Dawnstar's - where you're running around all the time draped in your heritage where it's potentially borderline offensive. (and Clark would of course be clueless having grown up on earth)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I agree his recent run was just not good. It was like even had no idea what was going on with the Legion after Flashpoint and then losing half his cast to the horrible Legion Lost series didn't help. The weird thing is I thought his run on Adventure Comics featuring the Legion Academy from the same time was actually pretty good and felt a lot more like his classic run.
    Agreed on that last point, particularly. He really seemed to shine writing those new characters, while he seemed to stumble a bit on the 'voices' of older characters like RJ Brande or Sun Boy, to pick two egregious cases where he seemed to have utterly forgotten how to write them.

I may have grown up on the 'classic' lineup, but I'd be totally up to read about these (or other) newer characters, if that's what it takes to get a *good* Legion book. I feel like even the 'newer' characters added in the eighties, like Tellus, or even the seventies, in the case of Tyroc, have barely gotten any development at all, and could certainly use it more than Garth, Imra, Rokk and Brainy.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It would be funny if a Kryptonian thought Superman's outfit was as eye-rolling as some people see Dawnstar's - where you're running around all the time draped in your heritage where it's potentially borderline offensive. (and Clark would of course be clueless having grown up on earth)
    Kryptonian SJW activists are the reason Clark got his red trunks back. (I'm KIDDING!)

Since you mention it, the "outside underwear" always made sense to me. Their costumes are super tight everywhere! The trunks are always drawn as being a bit looser - because it would be a bit obscene otherwise. Makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Since you mention it, the "outside underwear" always made sense to me. Their costumes are super tight everywhere! The trunks are always drawn as being a bit looser - because it would be a bit obscene otherwise. Makes perfect sense.
    The tights are part of the original circus strong man outfits and were there for that very purpose.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    I don't care if someone has a different colour but I am curious why ginger characters all over media are changed to be black?
    Others have made a lot of black humour out of 'ginger' being an anagram for something else. And with the added trope that electro powered super-heroes are black, it's like DC saw the memes and said hold my beer. For the trifecta, they just need to put Garth in a full face mask, so he shows no skin at all.

A few years ago, I went to a museum for the circus that used to exist in Vienna, in the Prater, and I found out that some strongmen wore no clothes at all--or very little. Since these displays were part of the freak shows that catered to prurient tastes for the forbidden, I imagine that was part of the attraction in a time when people were usually covered from head to toe.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    So, Nostalgia Fanatics won't give a chance to a book because it isn't exactly what they want, which is a new series exactly as the series which already failed.

In other news, water wets.

It is a very simplistic way to explain it. I wanted a new Legion book. What I didn't wanted was another reboot of the 30th century and another new legion. It has become discouraging to try to follow the legion and their characters. What it make me unwilling to give this book a chance is the ee another reboot, not another "new " 30th century. I was willing to give Bendis a chance, hoping for a reconstruction of what was before and a new scope. But a new reboot, using the worst ideas of previous eras?

Did the last series fail? Yes, it did. And I pointed then than I didn't like the idea of Levitz playing again with the characters. Levitz tried to use the same tricks in a different time. and didn't worked again. Many times to return to a previous writer doesn't work and in this case it happened again. I would had choosed Johns for the 2009 series. Levitz was not the best writer for a 2009 series. He was the worst choice in my opinion.

What I didn't wanted is start over again the Legion as if never existed before. I didn't wanted another reboot from the beggining. I understand than one of the problems is the version of the future than can be seen as very retro and that is something than ca be fixed visually, but it is was another reboot after all the shenanigans. This is nuLegion, but eight years later.

Maybe you are right and I as a reader don't know what I want from a Legion book. But I know what I don't want and what I don't need and that is another reboot.
    Worst I fear is this is going to last only until Bendis left the building. It can be successful? I don't know, I know Bendis has his strengths and weakness as writer and his name still sells. But after him, what? Yet another reboot? Back to basics? Again, for the fifth time?

You want to try it? Fine. do it. But at least let me express my inconformity with that decision in some way.

Sorry for the rant but it was frustrating try to feel anything for these characters anymore. I leave out now.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

My ideal would be for any new Legion book to essentially pick up somewhere around the Baxter era,(before those new Giffen outfits and Wildfire's energy body) but with a few continuity tweaks to allow for members like XS, Laurel Gand and Gates to have been there. Move forward from there without a ton of looking back or worrying about specific continuity. yes, be more inclusive, but use members that have already been introduced and introduce one or two more but that's it. I know that might not work on a corporate or even sales level, but that's just personal preference.