Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Page after page after page of Bendis-speak where everyone is talking, but no one is actually saying anything important. This is Bendis-speak turned up to 11, and jesus it is bad.
    In my opinion, the “Bendis speak” hasn’t been too bad on his other DC books but holy crap was it bad in this issue. Every character talking over each other and just dragging down the story.

I was giving this series an issue or two to wow me. I may be done already.

Extraordinary Member

I was able to preview this and OH MY GOD, what did they do to Karate Kid?? First Dawny and now him? Are they just TRYING to be racist at this point??

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I was able to preview this and OH MY GOD, what did they do to Karate Kid?? First Dawny and now him? Are they just TRYING to be racist at this point??
    Are TRYING to be vague about your post? Any 'racist' examples??
    GrindrStone(D)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Page after page after page of Bendis-speak where everyone is talking, but no one is actually saying anything important. This is Bendis-speak turned up to 11, and jesus it is bad.
    Well, everyone knew going in that Bendis avoids brevity when it comes to dialogue like it were a contagious disease. That said, it was a particularly tough slog, and that's not counting the new character designs, some of which were NOT easy on the eyes. At present, I'm undecided as to continuing on with this book.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Are TRYING to be vague about your post? Any 'racist' examples??
    Both Karate Kid and Dawnstar now look like blatant racist stereotypes of a Chinese man from 1885 and a Native American woman, respectively.

This is what Val used to look like:

This is what he looks like now:

Like, it plays right into the "perpetual foreigner/Fu Manchu" stereotype. How is this being published in 2019?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 11-12-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Because having a guy called Karate Kid being a white dude is better ? How ?

I love Bendis dialogue. I know it’s not for everyone but I never tire of it. I really enjoyed the Legion and I knew nothing going in.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I love Bendis dialogue. I know it’s not for everyone but I never tire of it. I really enjoyed the Legion and I knew nothing going in.
    Same. I'm actually relly exited to see more of those characters.

It only plays into a stereotype is one has a tendency to see it that way. It only is a stereotype if the character development is a stereotype, and we haven't gotten that far yet to know.

Its the Legion and I like the fact that all of them have been redesigned. Bendis is being more inclusive with this iteration and thats a good, more progressive way to be with this group of heroes.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

FYI, Karate is Japanese. The guy in question has the Chinese ponytail and costume going on.

And yes. There is a significant difference.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    FYI, Karate is Japanese. The guy in question has the Chinese ponytail and costume going on.

I wonder how that got past everybody.

Especially given that decades of fighting gams have given the public a reliable shorthand as to what a Karate Fighter looks like.

Ken or Ryu (or their army of imitators/parodies).
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 11-12-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Is this why Dawny lost her wings??
    https://www.cbr.com/legion-of-super-...rl-major-role/

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Because having a guy called Karate Kid being a white dude is better ? How ?
    lol I know right? Like How ? I'd definitely be more confused seeing a white Dude going by the Karate Kid name +The Dawnstar chick looks cool AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    It only plays into a stereotype is one has a tendency to see it that way. It only is a stereotype if the character development is a stereotype, and we haven't gotten that far yet to know.

Its the Legion and I like the fact that all of them have been redesigned. Bendis is being more inclusive with this iteration and thats a good, more progressive way to be with this group of heroes.
    TRUTH!!! the"new" Karate Kid Only may only appear to be a stereotype if a person's mindset is already thinking about it going into the story
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

Karate is an umbrella term for Martial Arts now and many people know many different kinds of Martial Arts. Or maybe he's s Chinese kid who learned Karate would that be Soo much more unbelievable then a white dude?
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

Wasn't there a Legion artist in the 70s (possibly Mike Grell) who began giving Karate Kid more Asian features in his drawings?

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    lol I know right? Like How ? I'd definitely be more confused seeing a white Dude going by the Karate Kid name
    You and very few other people, I'm afraid. Ever since The Karate Kid came out in theaters in 1984 and Daniel-san became a pop culture icon, the wide majority of people will think about the character played by Ralph Macchio and be absolutely ready to accept that a White guy has -le gasp!- dared to dedicate his life to learning Asian martial arts.