Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

With so many changes, I'm not even sure all of the Legionnaires will be sexually compatible with other members. Some of these are clearly non-humanoid -- despite having some human characteristics. I can't see the new Star Boy and Dream Girl being physically compatible. By the way, I really hate what they've done with Dreamy. She looks like a naked sandperson. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    With so many changes, I'm not even sure all of the Legionnaires will be sexually compatible with other members. Some of these are clearly non-humanoid -- despite having some human characteristics. I can't see the new Star Boy and Dream Girl being physically compatible. By the way, I really hate what they've done with Dreamy. She looks like a naked sandperson. Ugh!
    At first I was okay with it, because I kinda like the design a little bit, but the more I look back at her other designs, the more I realize I miss seeing her less celestial-y. I wish that design was for a new Legionnaire. Also, Dream is with Mon in almost everything, so take from that what you will. Even in the most recent Doomsday Clock #12 double page splash. Star was in the bottom right alone and Dream was flying close to Mon.

Also, did you guys see the previews for next few issues of Legion? There's already love in the air!

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #5
    written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
    art and cover by RYAN SOOK
    card stock variant cover by ALEX GARNER
    DC’s far-flung future is happening right now! With the secret of Jon Kent revealed, the Legion of Super-Heroes is united to save New Earth from those who would destroy it. Will Aquaman’s lost trident be the key to New Earth’s demise? Plus, Mon-El comes clean about his connection to Jon, and Cosmic Boy and Ferro Lad find out they both have a crush on the same Legionnaire.
    ON SALE 03.04.20
    Oooo, I wonder! :P
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 12-19-2019 at 03:02 PM.

It's still kinda throws me that Dream Girl is basically naked .

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    At first I was okay with it, because I kinda like the design a little bit, but the more I look back at her other designs, the more I realize I miss seeing her less celestial-y. I wish that design was for a new Legionnaire. Also, Dream is with Mon in almost everything, so take from that what you will. Even in the most recent Doomsday Clock #12 double page splash. Star was in the bottom right alone and Dream was flying close to Mon.
    I'm not putting a lot into the layout of the Legionnaires in DClock 12. It's possible there was some input to Gary Frank for that, but my guess is that the page was laid out and the costumes were drawn on and corrected as needed. Now, Sook's art in the actual Legion book would be a lot more likely to reflect relationships and personal feelings between characters, IMO anyway.

1 - Ferro Lad? have we seen him in the mix yet?
    2 - Doomsday Clock showed "Soultaker" - someone who seems to have Katana's sword. We haven't seen her in the background somewhere have we or is she a one-and-done Legionnaire that Bendis won't use?
    3 - Those little Freinchter or whatever floating icons and character descriptions are super annoying - especially since they're usually backwards.

Astonishing Member

Second issue was a chore to get through. There were several pages of nothing but conversation that I didn't have the patience to read. I will probably give this the obligatory 6 issues and then drop it. At my LCS, there are only two people getting this series -- and I"m one of them.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Second issue was a chore to get through. There were several pages of nothing but conversation that I didn't have the patience to read. I will probably give this the obligatory 6 issues and then drop it. At my LCS, there are only two people getting this series -- and I"m one of them.
    You give it 6 issues? Wow your a glutton for punishment. I give a book 3 issues tops to hook me, and that is only if the 1st issue is at least not that bad. This book got just one issue because I could tell from from the start it was not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    You give it 6 issues? Wow your a glutton for punishment. I give a book 3 issues tops to hook me, and that is only if the 1st issue is at least not that bad. This book got just one issue because I could tell from from the start it was not for me.
    I've been reading Legion since just before the Great Darkness Saga. I've seen some pretty bad stretches, but it's always improved to something I like better. Hence, I'm more likely to give it some time to get the hang of it. But the tendency of Bendis to use six issues when one would do and the over-reliance on 21st century characters for a 31st century book may actually push me off this book.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just read issue #2. In a word....URGH! I can’t help but wonder if there’s a rider in Bendis’ contract with DC where he gets paid by the word, because it damn sure looks that way. Will I subject myself to more torture by reading issue #3? Stay tuned....
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ingenious move by Bendis to ease the burden on new readers by writing every single Legion character the same way. Jo? Brainy? Brin? Quirky, one-liner-crackin’ kids, the lot of ‘em.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Ingenious move by Bendis to ease the burden on new readers by writing every single Legion character the same way. Jo? Brainy? Brin? Quirky, one-liner-crackin’ kids, the lot of ‘em.
    Even Damian sounds like that under Bendis.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Even Damian sounds like that under Bendis.
    Well, with two full issues in -- and appearances in Millenium, Superman and Doomsday Clock -- I really expect to know these characters a bit better. Aside from Saturn Girl, and a bit of Ultra Boy and Wildfire, they remain largely unknown. I guess he's concentrating on Superboy as a means of drawing in his fans -- but I'm not so sure Superboy had the same draw that the original Superboy had in the Silver and Bronze Age. Admittedly, Superboy (Kal El) was my entry point into the Legion.

Is there even a story being told?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Well, with two full issues in -- and appearances in Millenium, Superman and Doomsday Clock -- I really expect to know these characters a bit better. Aside from Saturn Girl, and a bit of Ultra Boy and Wildfire, they remain largely unknown. I guess he's concentrating on Superboy as a means of drawing in his fans -- but I'm not so sure Superboy had the same draw that the original Superboy had in the Silver and Bronze Age. Admittedly, Superboy (Kal El) was my entry point into the Legion.

Is there even a story being told?
    Dude, this superboy has enough draw in the current market, if Bendis can write him well. Jon for all intents and purposes comes of largely as a stick in the mud in Bendis's writing. On top of the ageup being another issue with fans.

Felt the same way. I found myself just skimming through all the dialogue. I gave this book 2 issues and I think that’s all for me. Maybe we’ll get another reboot in 10 years or so.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I'm still calling Jon x Saturn Girl. I have a knack for these things 'cause shipping is, like, 90% of what I do :P, and it feels like Bendis is setting them up together. He's put way too much emphasis on Imra poking into Jon's mind repeatedly since the start and the art really plays them up together.
    I'm not too big on shipping for its own sake, but I can see that.

Although...what if there's a case to be made for Jon x Ultra Boy, and Saturn Girl as the mentor to Jon?

Again, I'm not really a shipping sort of person, but from a storytelling standpoint (and from some social media activity from Bendis) I feel like I've seen some possible hints at something. Thematically Ultra Boy's coming from a home where his father holds a lot of power on his planet and in the UP, but he's ashamed of his father. Similarly, Jon is coming from a home where his dad has a lot of power on the planet and in the UP, but Jon is proud of him, and also mindful of living up to his legacy. Ultra Boy also seems to be getting quite a bit of focus in the book so far. We start the book out with him on the first page, he's the one that gets the trident, and they have to go to his home world.

Granted they haven't had a lot of interaction together, but Ultra Boy did trust Jon with the trident, and kind of gave him a look that one could read as flirtatious.

Also Bendis tweeted this (https://twitter.com/brianmbendis/sta...94855031345152) out back in September with no caption and just a zoom in of the very first meeting of Ultra Boy and Superboy in the silver age where they're both X-raying each other.

Since Jon is more or less the closest thing to a 'main' character in this book, is it maybe a little telling that the character with the second most focus is Ultra Boy?

I'm legitimately asking. I feel like I could see Saturn Girl saying something like "you should tell him how you feel" to either Jon or Jo. My honest-to-goodness main argument against this is that their sames sound super dumb together haha But I'm thinking it's very likely that the vast majority of the Legion are sexually fluid/pan, and that'll possibly include Jon. Thoughts?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.