Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I certainly don't think they are. The classic looks are so much better. And somehow less problematic. Timber Wolf's classic look was so far superior to the new design. And don't even get me started on Dawnstar.
    The classic looks were a hodge-podge of different looks from a dozen different artists over forty or more years, creating a wild mish-mash of styles, and, compared to the more uniform looks looks the Reboot or Threeboot or 5YL or new Bendisboot eras, that kind of made sense, since this wasn't a team of thirty people from the exact same city, in the exact same country, on the exact same planet, but a group assembled from a dozen different worlds, and at least two other dimensions, and, in a few cases, the distant past (or future!). It would be weird for them to have a similar aesthetic, unless they were some sort of uniformed police force or intergalactic football league or something.

So, I kind of like that the 'classic' Legion had a lot of costumes created over decades, and in wildly different styles. It kind of fit the notion that Winath and Braal and Imsk and Orando and Talok and Naltor were *entirely different worlds* and quite likely had dozens of unique fashion trends *of their own* that might look weird or goofy or 'old' by the standards of someone from Earth.

And a few surprising similarities, like Cham and Trip, from Durla and Cargg, respectively, apparently thinking it's *ever* okay to wear orange and purple at the same time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well...okay, but that's not what we're talking about here. What we're talking about is if Clark will even be legally allowed to continue working at the Daily Planet like we see him in Doomsday Clock that was originally set to be in the future of the DCU. He sure wants to, but that doesn't mean he'll be allowed to. We don't know the answer yet, and I doubt it will have been spoiled by Doomday Clock here.
    Well, its comics. So, if they're intent on still having Clark at the Daily Planet even with his identity out there, they'll find some way to make it happen. Plus, Superman has to have a job. As long as he's not reporting on himself, I don't see why it'd be legally or even ethically problematic.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Plus, Superman has to have a job.
    Apparently he's going to be "president of Earth". He's already currently weighing in on intergalactic issues, and even voting on intergalactic legislation in the United Planets. He's also overseeing and brokering deals between enemy worlds.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    On a positive note, the current costumes really shine compared to the older versions. I’m not that familiar with classic Legion but I’m really digging the new looks. Huge improvement there
    Not seeing it. I don't mind the more alien look of Chameleon Boy, but most of the current outfits are just too busy. Compare Timber Wolf of yore with today's monstrosity. I can't see how anyone would find the modern version an improvement. Ultra Boy's new color scheme is awful. And naked Dream Girl -- well, I guess some people find that an improvement! Obviously, Saturn Girls' 70s era outfit was a product of that age -- and I do have a fondness for it -- but that's not something I'd ever expect to make a return. I did like, however, when Manapul designed a full body outfit for SG that reflected the bikini design.

The new Triplicate Girl design is probably my favorite of any of Sook's looks. I have a feeling that this character may be closer to Dave Cockrum's Trio character who had a similar emblem on her outfit. Each triplicate had her own abilities.

It will be interesting to see which outfits get discarded first when a new artist takes over.

I rather like the art. Some of the costumes are quite good. A few are dreadful. See: Saturn Girl.
    My biggest problem is, by issue 1 we were 3 in, and at the last page knew nothing.
    Via InstaGram, I found out from Sook that the boy with the tail, on Gim’s shoulder in the group shot, is Monster Boy. We actually see him in action in #2.
    I asked about “Green Corpse-Girl,” and was told she’s a secret for now. Apparently she’s “Soultaker,” introduced in the Watchmen event, tho this isn’t borne out in an issue yet. Some things seem different just to be different, rather than as an improvement. In two issues there is almost no story and very little in the way of character development. I understand the reason for the re-boot: the Legion wasn’t selling, maybe ugly retro-costumes were a part of the problem. It just seems 31 Legionnaires are going to get in the way of telling much of a character-driven story in a single book. We’ll see.
    Last edited by 0nt1r; 01-04-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Apparently he's going to be "president of Earth". He's already currently weighing in on intergalactic issues, and even voting on intergalactic legislation in the United Planets. He's also overseeing and brokering deals between enemy worlds.
    Uh, I mean a job that pays. You know, where he makes a living. Even Superman needs money.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Uh, I mean a job that pays. You know, where he makes a living. Even Superman needs money.
    Actually, he doesn’t. He is Superman.He is Clark/kal not peter parker. His wife does.that's it.
    If you are trying to make superman relatable that way then his powers ,abilities,gimmicks will need some tone change.postcrisis can be like peter parker though.i mean,American alien is the best example.But,it still lacks the clark kent vibe.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Actually, he doesn’t. He is Superman.
    Great. Does he get paid to be Superman? Because of so, he can just do that. But if not, he can't just do that.

He is Clark/kal not peter parker.
    A superhero being relatable is not limited to Peter Parker. A lot of Superman's world has revolved around his work life.

His wife does.that's it.
    Is there much evidence that Lois is raking in the dough?

If you are trying to make superman relatable that way then his powers ,abilities,gimmicks will need some tone change.postcrisis can be like peter parker though.i mean,American alien is the best example.But,it still lacks the clark kent vibe.
    Not really. A lot of Superman comics from the 80s and 90s are very relatable. He's not Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark. He didn't inherent a multibillion dollar corporation from his family. Superman is kind of an everyman. He has relationship problems and self doubts. His insane power doesn't just make that go away.

Lois is a well-known reporter for a major news outlet. I have no doubt she has a comfortable salary. She's certainly not needing to clip coupons.

Great. Does he get paid to be Superman? Because of so, he can just do that. But if not, he can't just do that.

A superhero being relatable is not limited to Peter Parker. A lot of Superman's world has revolved around his work life.

Not really. A lot of Superman comics from the 80s and 90s are very relatable. He's not Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark. He didn't inherent a multibillion dollar corporation from his family. Superman is kind of an everyman. He has relationship problems and self doubts. His insane power doesn't just make that go away.
    Why would superman need something as trivial as human money? He is the goddamn superman (i always wanted to say that). He can makes robots, fortress/citadel with his bare hands and intelligence. He can fly to the ends of the universe. He is the fantastic in the purest form. He is absolved of these materialistic needs.

sure, but that doesn't mean he needs it.Peter parker needs his job. He needs money to live. If i am correct his comics started exploring that side.Superman doesn't need to follow that route to be relatable. Clark is a different kind of hero than peter. Superman is a pulp character. He is an action hero. Post crisis superman follows that peter parker-esque route, though. But, i don't think it's necessary.

Superman's relatabilty comes from different sources for different versions. For the goldenage guy it's the vigilante and social justice aspect combined with his powers working differently(no sun protein juice. Gotta struggle to get stronger ). For the silver/bronzage guy, it's being the outsider who views things differently and the sheer humility. Both these versions were naruto-esque orphans.That's their source for relatabilty . I mean, look at all star superman. It's nearly entirely precrisis silverage superman with a difference of ma kent being alive like in donner movie. You can say that bioelectric aura thing is from postcrisis. But, that's a trivial explanation. It wouldn't have impacted the story in any way. Superman didn't need to go that route of making character human. It can be done ofcourse, but it ain't a necessity. He is the guy that sits on a cloud with a smile or on the moon with his dog.

How much money his wife makes doesn't really matter, does it? Precrisis Supermen didn't need money.

Oh! I am not saying there aren't. But,those didn't strike a cord with me. If i want a guy struggling with rent, collage.. Etc i can read spiderman. Why would i need superman? For me, the best postcrisis stories that follow through the postcrisis characterisation, stay true to it and made it interesting is superman for all season. It is so character driven. There is nothing like that story for me. He feels like the humble farmboy with human intelligence, human needs like air and a different kind of wisdom.American alien is best modern interpretation of postcrisis 'human' superman for me, because it leans into the peter parker aspects. It made postcrisis clark into et/iron giant-esque character with sprinkles of spiderman on top.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-31-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Why would superman need something as trivial as human money? He is the goddamn superman (i always wanted to say that). He can makes robots, fortress/citadel with his bare hands and intelligence. He can fly to the ends of the universe. He is the fantastic in the purest form. He is absolved of these materialistic needs.
    Because he has a life in Metropolis with a wife, a son, an apartment, etc. Those things tend to cost money. He could abandon them, but that would mean stripping all humanity from the character.

sure, but that doesn't mean he needs it.Peter parker needs his job. He needs money to live. If i am correct his comics started exploring that side.Superman doesn't need to follow that route to be relatable. Clark is a different kind of hero than peter. Superman is a pulp character. He is an action hero. Post crisis superman follows that peter parker-esque route, though. But, i don't think it's necessary.
    And that relatability is what made Spider-Man (and the Marvel Universe) popular. The perceived lack of relatability is also what led DC to lag behind Marvel in the late 60s and early 70s.

For the silver/bronzage guy, it's being the outsider who views things differently and the sheer humility.
    That's kind of the opposite of relatable.

Both these versions were naruto-esque orphans.That's their source for relatabilty . I mean, look at all star superman. It's nearly entirely precrisis silverage superman with a difference of ma kent being alive like in donner movie. You can say that bioelectric aura thing is from postcrisis. But, that's a trivial explanation. It wouldn't have impacted the story in any way. Superman didn't need to go that route of making character human. It can be done ofcourse, but it ain't a necessity. He is the guy that sits on a cloud with a smile or on the moon with his dog.
    You're missing the point. Relatability is not about power level. Its about how Superman views humans around him. If he views them as unnecessary to his existence and sees himself as an outsider, it makes him unrelatable. All Star Superman was relatable because he still saw himself as part of humanity and identified and empathized with peoples' struggles.

How much money his wife makes doesn't really matter, does it? Precrisis Supermen didn't need money.
    Again, the same Pre-Crisis Superman that DC struggled to market to fans who were enthralled with Marvel's characters because of their perceived relatability? You see the trend here?

Oh! I am not saying there aren't. But,those didn't strike a cord with me. If i want a guy struggling with rent, collage.. Etc i can read spiderman. Why would i need superman?
    Nobody is saying that Superman should be Spider-Man. The two characters are at different stages of their lives. Superman is mostly settled, whereas Peter is still struggling. But that doesn't mean real-world issues akin to those seen in Spidey comics are alien to Superman comics. Workplace drama and marital issues are just at home with Superman as any other character.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 01-01-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Because he has a life in Metropolis with a wife, a son, an apartment, etc. Those things tend to cost money. He could abandon them, but that would mean stripping all humanity from the character.

And that relatability is what made Spider-Man (and the Marvel Universe) popular. The perceived lack of relatability is also what led DC to lag behind Marvel in the late 60s and early 70s.

That's kind of the opposite of relatable.

You're missing the point. Relatability is not about power level. Its about how Superman views humans around him. If he views them as unnecessary to his existence and sees himself as an outsider, it makes him unrelatable. All Star Superman was relatable because he still saw himself as part of humanity and identified and empathized with peoples' struggles.

Again, the same Pre-Crisis Superman that DC struggled to market to fans who were enthralled with Marvel's characters because of their perceived relatability? You see the trend here?

Nobody is saying that Superman should be Spider-Man. The two characters are at different stages of their lives. Superman is mostly settled, whereas Peter is still struggling. But that doesn't mean real-world issues akin to those seen in Spidey comics are alien to Superman comics. Workplace drama and marital issues are just at home with Superman as any other character.
    No, i am not talking about powerlevel. Look at the posture,the way he sits. The way he approaches these fantastical things thats his source of relatability. Most feel like outsider one time or another. It's perfectly relatable. Especially for immigrants. Post crisis kal el and goldenage clark both were really relatable that way. There is in inherent sadness to clark, that ain't because of planet blowing up either. As for apartment, superman can make an enitre dimension if he wants to. an apartment is a small thing. He is superman. He doesn't need to abandon anything.If money is an issue. Clark's intelligence and resources is more than enough to make him a billionaire, if he wants to like bruce. Clark doesn't do that because what's the point? He is superman.

We are talking about Superman,not the company. Postcrisis superman has never reached the success or popularity that was goldenage guy or silverage guy had at their peak. His popularity has only vained. Even, death of superman is criticised heavily.plan to beat the competition by serving second rate version is a stupid move. Making superman a second rate spiderman is bad for business. And postcrisis superman failed as well, that's why new52 happened.new52 failed with dcyou. Rebirth superman didn't work either, sails fell again. Everything fails sooner or later and need of a change of pace becomes evident. But, that ain't measure of success. That's why i like american alien. It is honest about its inspirations,including spiderman. Even flight in that comic had him balancing between speed,momentum, trajectory.. Etc.

Which supermen did not see himself as human. Even, Silverage kal el saw humanity as his adopted culture. Goldenage guy was clark kent the son of john and mary. You know all star is the best story last two decades had the silverage guy. That's saying something.

Spiderman had settled life as well, for a while. That just a trivial difference. You know something is wrong, when the joker becomes the face of protests against governments and not superman. The guy that was meant to fight for the little guy aka goldenage guy. So much for relatability. At the end of the day goldenage guy was something else. He was the legit people's champion. Atleast for a while, that guy returned in new52 by morrison and pak.

Extraordinary Member

No, i am not talking about powerlevel. Look at the posture,the way he sits. The way he approaches these fantastical things thats his source of relatability. Most feel like outsider one time or another. It's perfectly relatable. Especially for immigrants. Post crisis kal el and goldenage clark both were really relatable that way. There is in inherent sadness to clark, that ain't because of planet blowing up either. As for apartment, superman can make an enitre dimension if he wants to. an apartment is a small thing. He is superman. He doesn't need to abandon anything.If money is an issue. Clark's intelligence and resources is more than enough to make him a billionaire, if he wants to like bruce. Clark doesn't do that because what's the point? He is superman.
    Eh, most people don't view themselves as outsiders from the entirety of the human race. And Pre-Crisis Superman wasn't treated as an outsider in a relatable way. He was treated as an outsider in that he was paternalistic and looked down at humanity as something that needed his guidance. And again, Superman could abandon his life in Metropolis but that would make the character unrelatable. Most people don't have insane power and technology at their disposal to just up and leave their lives. Also, Clark maintains his life in Metropolis for the simple reason that he enjoys his life in Metropolis. He has friends and a family there who he loves. Why would he want to abandon that?

We are talking about Superman,not the company. Postcrisis superman has never reached the success or popularity that was goldenage guy or silverage guy had at their peak. His popularity has only vained. Even, death of superman is criticised heavily.plan to beat the competition by serving second rate version is a stupid move. Making superman a second rate spiderman is bad for business.
    Uh, golden age and silver age were literally the height of comic book sales, when kids were still reading comics and series sold in like the millions. Comics, over the years have become a less popular form of entertainment. That applies to all comic book characters, not just Superman. So, it really doesn't have much to do with the Post-Crisis vs. Pre-Crisis characterization.

And postcrisis superman failed as well, that's why new52 happened.new52 failed with dcyou. Rebirth superman didn't work either, sails fell again. Everything fails sooner or later and need of a change of pace becomes evident. But, that ain't measure of success.
    Which is why they had to bring back Pre-Flashpoint Superman and have even gone farther in restoring the Pre-Flashpoint status quo by reviving the Kents?

Ultimate Member

He can squeeze a lump of coal and create a diamond (and has done so, more than once). He's not really got a cash problem. He also has a rent-free crash pad full of alien tech that can synthesize any material thing he wants in the Fortress of Solitude, and can use X-Ray Vision and his strength to collect as much of any naturally-occurring diamond, gold, platinum, uranium, etc. as he darn near wants, from veins that human mining techniques will not be able to touch for thousands of years (if ever), so that he's not even 'stealing' said precious materials, since nobody would ever have them anyway. And that's not even touching the resources he could harvest from space by zipping out to the asteroid rich zone between Mars and Jupiter, or popping through time to retrieve a ship full of Spanish gold that was lost in the 14th century.

There are a ton of superheroes that might have to work at it to be super-rich, but Superman is not one of them.

Eh, most people don't view themselves as outsiders from the entirety of the human race. And Pre-Crisis Superman wasn't treated as an outsider in a relatable way. He was treated as an outsider in that he was paternalistic and looked down at humanity as something that needed his guidance. And again, Superman could abandon his life in Metropolis but that would make the character unrelatable. Most people don't have insane power and technology at their disposal to just up and leave their lives. Also, Clark maintains his life in Metropolis for the simple reason that he enjoys his life in Metropolis. He has friends and a family there who he loves. Why would he want to abandon that?

Uh, golden age and silver age were literally the height of comic book sales, when kids were still reading comics and series sold in like the millions. Comics, over the years have become a less popular form of entertainment. That applies to all comic book characters, not just Superman. So, it really doesn't have much to do with the Post-Crisis vs. Pre-Crisis characterization.

Which is why they had to bring back Pre-Flashpoint Superman and have even gone farther in restoring the Pre-Flashpoint status quo by reviving the Kents?
    No, he felt like an outsider because he was for the most part. Why do you think he had legion anyway?the kid was an orphan, far too gifted for his own good and on top of that an alien. Now,fairly relatable . a pure Postcrisis superman doesn't have legion. He never was superboy.No, it wouldn't. Metropolis isn't the end of Clark's existence. It is just part of his world. He has an entire metaverse to travel. There is a reason why Norrin radd clark have so much in common. So, bruce wayne can up and leave his life as well. As i said, superman isn't everyman. You can do that. But he is freaking superman. His relatability comes from a different place. He isn't a guy with power. He is born gifted. He is like a gifted athlete or a scientist. Someone who is a cut above but doesn't feel like it. Who said he needs to abandon them? I certainly didn't. But, clark if he wants to can go on a space adventure flash gordon style with his pal jimmy, lois and even perry.He can take the entire Metropolis and make it fly like laputa. This is superman a genuis with no narcissistic tendencies whatsoever. He was called superman by the people. He didn't name himself. He was just a strong man running around with a police badge s on his chest.

No, even in todays market superman severly lags behind in terms of popularity. So much so that people find refuge in characters like one punch man and all might. Nobody complains about all might's relatability. Why because goldenage superman is f-ing real deal? Even characters inspired by it are awesome. You don't need to make superman relatable. He is inherently that.A guy who smiles through the pain so that others feel safe. That's relatable and that's goldenage clark kent. The most relatable story superman has is "for the man who has everything". And it works cause its precrisis silverage kal el.

Yeah! Cause they decided to focus on jon kent. I find jon more, interesting currently in rebirth. And cause that was the end result of geoff johns envisioned. But, guess what? clark is superboy. Clark had been part of legion. That ain't postcrisis guy. He's got more than enough precrisis in him.The jon's future has yet to be written.He is evolving into quiet the man of tomorrow after a long time. After a long while the man of tomorrow may come back. Its funny how a version of jon is in "whatever happened to the man of tomorrow" .too bad, clark still doesn't feel like it anymore even with the his boy of tomorrow past back. And i am more excited that the my guys are back. Silverage guy and goldenage guy are back with doomsday clock, than anything in main earth has to offer.