Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 258
  1. #46
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I guess what I’m confused about is I thought Superman traveled back & fourth. Honestly, I don’t even know what he uses to travel through time. I’m assuming it’s the Legion ring. I guess I don’t think of Superman as a time traveler. If he goes to the future and stays for awhile I can grasp that better than he has a mission in the future and then goes home. Staying in the future for his teen years makes more sense. I didn’t know that was part of his old continuity.
    Let me really blow your mind - Supergirl was a member of the Legion as well. And even though Superman didn't meet Kara until he was an adult, Superboy and Supergirl were team members in the Legion for many years due to time travel.

  2. #47
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,236

    Default

    Silverage Superman can time travel on his own violation and with legion ring

  3. #48
    Spectacular Member Stick Figure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Let me really blow your mind - Supergirl was a member of the Legion as well. And even though Superman didn't meet Kara until he was an adult, Superboy and Supergirl were team members in the Legion for many years due to time travel.
    Head is now blown. I’ll wait and see if Bendis can streamline this a bit. That’s just too wacky to grasp. Superman being able to travel through time on his own is a new one to me also.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 10-16-2019 at 10:56 AM.

  4. #49
    Mighty Member KangMiRae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    The sea!
    Posts
    1,530

    Default

    Redesigns are so ugly.

    Also does it look like Bendis is making Jon X Irma a thing?

    Saturn Girl and Superboy sittin' in a tree!
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 10-16-2019 at 10:55 AM.
    Admiral of a fleet of ships—relationships!
    Comicbooks are nothing to me without ships and romance!

  5. #50
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,496

    Default

    Can't Flash travel through time on his own in current continuity? So Superman is just about as fast (if not as fast) so he should be able to break through the time barrier on his own. Oh but let me guess--the Flash uses the Speed Force and Superman doesn't. So that's probably the loophole they use to nerf Superman. However, it's pretty clear that characters in the DCU are travelling beyond the speed of light by one means or another to get across the vast distances of the cosmos, so if they can do that (which is impossible in our universe) then they can open up wormholes in time to travel to different time periods. If Superman has been around this long, he's surely explored the concept of time travel--but maybe realized that other than being a great vacation package, it doesn't actually do anything for him, because of the immutable laws of time travel that stop anyone from changing their destiny.

  6. #51
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    DC's history suggests the standard launch.

    1) No Legion book.
    2) New creator shows up and talks about how much he loves the Legion.
    3) New Legion title bears only superficial resemblance to the Legion he claimed to love, disappointing any of the old Legion fans who were suckered into buying it.
    4) DC cancels new Legion book, and claims that fans are unpleasable, because they, once again, bait and switched them.
    5) No Legion book.

    We're already at stage 3.
    This is true. I agree a lot.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

  7. #52
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I guess what I’m confused about is I thought Superman traveled back & fourth. Honestly, I don’t even know what he uses to travel through time. I’m assuming it’s the Legion ring. I guess I don’t think of Superman as a time traveler. If he goes to the future and stays for awhile I can grasp that better than he has a mission in the future and then goes home. Staying in the future for his teen years makes more sense. I didn’t know that was part of his old continuity.
    DC created Superboy in 1945, just seven years after Superman's first appearance, due to the increased popularity of child heroes.
    Placing the stories in Clark's youth, left him in something of a void. Especially since he was the supposedly the first hero.
    So, growing up, he didn't have a Titans or anything like that to hang around with.
    And an important experience that most kids share is developing a close group of friends that bond and grow together through their teen years.
    So to make Superboy more relatable to teenagers, he needed friends. And not just normal kids. Super-Kids.
    Enter: The Legion.

    Going to the future to be with the Legion was about as effortless to Superboy as a typical teen hopping on a bike and riding across town to a friend's place. The place where four or more of them get together regularly for several years.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

  8. #53
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Something else I find humorous...
    Interlac is a Legion staple and is part of the reason non-readers complain about classic Legion: too much detail for them to grasp.

    And Hickman's X-Men has introduced Krakoan, which is very similar to Interlac.
    So... that's acceptable? And Interlac isn't?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

  9. #54
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    To be honest, I’m not crazy about Jon being in the Legion. Why can’t someone in the future just take up the Superboy name? Why have a Superboy at all? I wish all the characters were from the same period.

    I love the art and Bendis is always solid so I’m definitely giving this a few issues.
    becasue someone has to sell the book, someone the audience knows/has interest in

  10. #55
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Head is now blown. I’ll wait and see if Bendis can streamline this a bit. That’s just too wacky to grasp. Superman being able to travel through time on his own is a new one to me also.
    I really, really recommend the Levitz/Giffen run from the 80s. That stuff is the all-time standard for Legion stories and honestly, even still holds up today! The Great Darkness Saga in particular is one of the greatest stories in the DC canon.

  11. #56
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I really, really recommend the Levitz/Giffen run from the 80s. That stuff is the all-time standard for Legion stories and honestly, even still holds up today! The Great Darkness Saga in particular is one of the greatest stories in the DC canon.
    It was so innovative that Levitz' storytelling style used in Legion was named the 'Levitz Paradigm' and is up there with Wally Wood's '22 Panels' and Stan Lee's 'Marvel Style' (Plot>Art>Script) as techniques many new comics writers study.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

  12. #57
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,496

    Default

    I always assumed that Giffen and Levitz did something like the Marvel style, with Paul and Keith coming up with a plot, then Keith breaking that down as panels, then Paul generating a script, followed by lettering and finishes from other talents. Am I wrong?

  13. #58
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Redesigns are so ugly.

    Also does it look like Bendis is making Jon X Irma a thing?

    Saturn Girl and Superboy sittin' in a tree!
    Yeah, they've been paired a lot so far, could just be because Saturn Girl is always one of the focal points of the legion and Jon is a new character, but who knows..

  14. #59
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    That's my biggest problem with all of DC these days. Reboot after reboot -- history lost or mangled.

    I'll give this a try, but am keeping expectations low. I think they went a bit too far with the overhaul. I would have preferred more new characters than totally erasing the classic members.
    Ditto. I like the most recent batch of 'new characters' (Dragonwing, Chemical Kid, Glorith, etc.), but would be open to yet more new characters, as opposed to tweaked versions of Garth, Rokk and Imra, again.

  15. #60
    Astonishing Member Overhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Something else I find humorous...
    Interlac is a Legion staple and is part of the reason non-readers complain about classic Legion: too much detail for them to grasp.

    And Hickman's X-Men has introduced Krakoan, which is very similar to Interlac.
    So... that's acceptable? And Interlac isn't?
    I've never gotten that argument either. X-Men continuity is just as convoluted, if not more so than the LSH's, and that's without reboots. Hickman's a big legion fan. His Avengers run was a love letter to the Legion, I havent read his X-men yet, but it appears to be similar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •