Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    It's the 15th "year of the villain" thing in ten years.

People are bored with it.
    This. It's been done SO many times.
    It would have been fine if it was contained in the JL line, but as a line wide event? Nah

Spectacular Member

I got to agree with a lot of the comments here. Seems like a rehash of "Underworld Unleashed", and "Final Crisis" mixed with that Joker crossover event "Last Laugh" from 2001 and the marketing of "Forever Evil".

Fantastic Member

I am just sticking with the books I am already reading. At least the villains make sense to be in the books they are in. Lobo was in Teen Titans but at least there was a reasonable plot for him being there and he was not shoved in. I did not really view this as a event just something to highlight DC villains. It did not cut into or change the storytelling of any of the books I am reading so I didn't see a problem.

Because there are so many comic events that they end up feeling pointless and empty.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I feel like its not catching interest because... frankly, I don't feel DC has its line of heroes together very well right now.

If anything we need to "Year of the Heroes" and I know, I know every year is year of the heroes or so one would think. Yet somehow it feels like what the people above have said....
    Forever Evil, Dark Knights Metal, Doomsday Clock, Leviathan... ... ...

Regardless of the time between them it "FEELS" like its been the year of the villian for a while now.

Secondly, I'd like to second the idea that the lesser know villains would be more interesting that the legion of doom/Neron... again.
    Lex is interesting but he's over used as the "Boss" of the Villains similar to how Darkseid looses something when he's showing up too often.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Astonishing Member

It's a Crisis on Infinite Events. Enough's enough, already. Just tell more good stories, whether they tie into anything else or not.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Year of the Villain would be more interesting if they used obscure villiains that haven't been seen in years instead of......those guys.
    Yes. Gosh, let's have more Lex and the Joker and maybe a dash of Darkseid or whatever. Maybe Sinestro or Black Adam or one of those Reverse Flash / Zoom wannabes.

Boring.

What's Chronos up to? Or the Shade? Or Lady Shiva? Or Angle Man? Or Blackfire? Or the Tattooed Man? Or Multiplex? Or Talia al-Ghul? Or Monsieur Mallah and ze Brain? Or Gentleman Ghost? Or Giganta? There's about *seventy* villains I would rather see than Lex Luthor or the Joker...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yes. Gosh, let's have more Lex and the Joker and maybe a dash of Darkseid or whatever. Maybe Sinestro or Black Adam or one of those Reverse Flash / Zoom wannabes.

Boring.

What's Chronos up to? Or the Shade? Or Lady Shiva? Or Angle Man? Or Blackfire? Or the Tattooed Man? Or Multiplex? Or Talia al-Ghul? Or Monsieur Mallah and ze Brain? Or Gentleman Ghost? Or Giganta? There's about *seventy* villains I would rather see than Lex Luthor or the Joker...
    Talia gets used a lot. She was recently in Super Sons and Silencer and was last seen in Bendis' Event Leviathan.

This is a test post.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Everyone who has posted in this thread (except Ulysess lol) is pretty much right on the money!

It boggles the mind that DC is this myopic.

The actual good thing is that there are so many comics to choose from.... and soo many to ignore. Poor retailers.

Spectacular Member

I was so happy with the new Hawkman book. So his first incarnation was as an evil general of an evil army? So he has been spending every reincarnation making up for all the death and destruction? Cool! I can see it! So Carter Hall is on a mission of redemption? Awesome!

The first several issues were great. The interaction with Madame Xanadu -- loved it! Now, let's move forward from here and get some great adventure stories with my favorite winged man!

Er… not so fast. As soon as they had established all of the above, Hawkman got picked to be one of the inflicted (or infected -- I can't remember right now, and I don't care enough to look it up) for the YotV storyline and is now, once again, evil.

I cancelled the book off of my pull list and do not plan to pick it back up. I dropped all my Marvel Universe books after Civil War and haven't gone back to sample those waters since. I'm thinking of doing the same with DC except that I'm really looking forward to the new LSH book.

Anyway, Rebirth was looking awesome until around the time Dark Metal happened. It's been going downhill ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Boring.

Shade is actually popping up in Hawkman's Year of the Villain tie-in.

Spectacular Member

Gentleman Ghost was in it too at the beginning. Reading the titles is good for catching other villains that might appear, lol *speaking in a joking matter in case I get attacked*

It seems like a few years ago, DC thought “hey one of the things we have over Marvel is a better roster of villains. Let’s capitalize on that.” Then they beat it into the ground. There was even a Lego DC Villains game.

Apologies if this has been said, but I think a part of it is that "Year of the Villain" is a gimmick, not a story. A whole bunch of villains get an upgrade, but we're not sold on what the point is or what the stakes are - we know the heroes aren't going to die (except maybe one or two but they always come back) and then DC went ahead and promoted how "YotV" is only the leadup to something else anyway.