Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Absolutely agree with everything you said. Villains aren’t why I read comics.
    I was beginning to think I was the only one. As a general rule, bad guys bore me. A few have enough flair that I can enjoy watching them interact with others for a little while when there's no hero on the scene. But for me, the purpose of a villain is to provide the hero with someone to overcome, with something awesome to do.

I like heroes and villains in good measure, but sometimes DC can go a little overboard .

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Because YOTV is villains basically doing what they’d normally being doing anyway with a fancy banner slapped on the cover & featuring an Apex Lex cameo.
    This. DC has great villains who should be great all year round. We don't need a disruptive event to highlight that. Just tell good stories with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    I was looking to say the same thing.

It's an event, but it almost doesn't feel like one. Almost like a weird lead-up or through-line or tone for DC, like Marvel's "The Heroic Age." And it doesn't help that DC has like three or four "events" going on right now in Doomsday Clock, Event Leviathan, the upcoming 5G, and DCeased (which I know isn't really an event, but it sort of feels like one to me for some reason.) It's not that comics should/shouldn't have multiple things going on, but it feels like there's some clashing headlines and YotV just doesn't stack up for me. It's not to say I'm not enjoying the titles or the concept or anything, it's just not the same.
    I will elaborate more

I remember discussing with someone else that was saying that it was hard to think of King's Batman incontinuity because it lately makes no sense that City of Bane is happening at the same time as the whole thing with the Justice League
    this was 2 months ago and my argument then was that well, most likely, like with many other events in the past this takes place just roughly at the same time but not like on the same day, like the stuff that Batman did in JL happen before city of bane and then CoB ends before whatever will be the end of YotV.
    It is the only way this makes sense

after reading today's justice league, batman and Aquaman and other books, is obvious that all of these events on those books take place on the same day and it doesnt make any sense at all
    there is just no care for the continuity of these events and thats what makes this event lack importance

Like, for example
    I remember that Final crisis was paired up with the rise of the Red Lanterns and the Return of Hush on Batman. but this was all promotional stuff as the story FC had absolutely nothing to do with the red lanterns or Hush. same thing here but on a lower scale.

It makes me wonder if maybe the whole War of Justice and Doom should had been its own event comic and not just be done on JL.

Event fatigue
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Event fatigue
    how is it event fatigue?
    I cannot een remember what was the last event that DC did

Year of the Villain would be more interesting if they used obscure villiains that haven't been seen in years instead of......those guys.

Extraordinary Member

Because its so incredibly vague?? I mean, can anyone even really tell me what the plot of the story is? Or even the point of the story? I mean, the main story arc of Luthor's plans is taking place in Justice League's Doom War arc. But, nothing is really explaining how his going around to random villains and bestowing "gifts" is really at all related to his that story. In other words, there really is no sense that the Year of the Villain is any different from just the normal goings on of the DC Universe.

Also, on top of that, its not really an "event" in the same way that Doomsday Clock, Absolute Carnage, or even Hickman's X-Men relaunch have been. Its not being published as its own title, unlike famous DC/Marvel events of the past, so the readers don't even know that there's supposed to be something going on.

I mean, who knows? Maybe the whole Doom War arc is just leading up to a the big event title written by Snyder et al. But I'm not sure if that's the plan.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-16-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    how is it event fatigue?
    Dark Knights Metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Because its so incredibly vague?? I mean, can anyone even really tell me what the plot of the story is? Or even the point of the story? I mean, the main story arc of Luthor's plans is taking place in Justice League's Doom War arc. But, nothing is really explaining how his going around to random villains and bestowing "gifts" is really at all related to his that story. In other words, there really is no sense that the Year of the Villain is any different from just the normal goings on of the DC Universe.

Also, on top of that, its not really an "event" in the same way that Doomsday Clock, Absolute Carnage, or even Hickman's X-Men relaunch have been. Its not being published as its own title, unlike famous DC/Marvel events of the past, so the readers don't even know that there's supposed to be something going on.

I mean, who knows? Maybe the whole Doom War arc is just leading up to a the big event title written by Snyder et al. But I'm not sure if that's the plan.
    My takeaway is that Luthor is trying to organize and upgrade all these villains and begin the encroachment of Doom on the world for the big war with the heroes and finally turn things around with the help of Perpetua.

It's not really an "event" so much as a theme that's running through all the titles with the villains getting upgrades and taking over.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    how is it event fatigue?
    Justice League vs. Suicide Squad. Dark Nights Metal. Technically Heroes in Crisis. Event Leviathan is wrapping up and we're in the middle of Doomsday Clock as well.

Spectacular Member

It also is going on for far too long. As is the Doom/Justice war. The last issue should have been the grand finale, not the midpoint of the story. Plus, DC, if you want to be a shinier, happier universe : STOP PUTTING THE VILLAINS IN CHARGE.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I liked the Lex Luthor one shot. It's not how I'd write Lex, but it was fun.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Because everyone knows that Year of the Villain isn't the event, it's just the prelude to the event, which hopefully won't be setting up yet another event.

Plans seem to have changed - Snyder's off Justice League!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman