Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Because Forever Evil already did the same idea better a few years ago.

Also, the goddamn tie-ins are touching everything and ruining a lot of titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It seems like a few years ago, DC thought “hey one of the things we have over Marvel is a better roster of villains. Let’s capitalize on that.” Then they beat it into the ground. There was even a Lego DC Villains game.
    It was a fun game, to be fair. But I like Lego games too much, I guess.

Someone mentioned it would be cool if they used lesser known villains. Man am I the only one who thinks that would be so cool!

Imagine Ragman, Angle Man, Calculator, Floronic Man, Clue Master, Crazy Quilt and ilk all come up with a master plan and pull it off! It would be so cool!
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Someone mentioned it would be cool if they used lesser known villains. Man am I the only one who thinks that would be so cool!

Imagine Ragman, Angle Man, Calculator, Floronic Man, Clue Master, Crazy Quilt and ilk all come up with a master plan and pull it off! It would be so cool!
    Ragman's not really a villain though...?

Yeah you're right. Don't know what kind of brain fart I had there.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Yeah you're right. Don't know what kind of brain fart I had there.
    There is Bagman a villain who appeared in the Shadowpact book that Ragman was a main character in. Is it possible you were thinking of him?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There is Bagman a villain who appeared in the Shadowpact book that Ragman was a main character in. Is it possible you were thinking of him?
    Maybe, I probably just had a stroke though.

It's too Underworld Unleashed for me. And too much like too many other events.

I was also not looking to see another "Origin of the Entire DC Multiverse" story. Perpetua is boring, and DC can't keep track of all its cosmic origins. They all begin to blur together. And, from a narrative point of view, they don't do much for me.

(Personally, I wish DC would show that they can handle the history and continuity of one universe, rather than spend so much time with multiple universes, "local" multiverses and the "global" metaverse, poorly thought-out time travel stories spawning parallel worlds, histories of the universe getting obscured when "everyone then forgot this character/group ever existed for years, then everyone remembered!" These are not techniques that create anything like a coherent shared-universe setting.)

But the thing that I like the least is that it homogenizes all the villains. They're barely characters, just plot devices, and it shows. Personally I find it hard to believe that so many of these villains (meant to be strong, self-centered, unique personalities in their own right) are willing to follow Lex Luther's lead and just assume that their place in the post-Doom reality (which clearly, if Lex is working so hard for it, is likely to be a Lex-led and Lex-centric world) is going to be better than their current life. Don't they have plans and interests of their own, which will be lost when the world is remade? I would think most of the villains would be as opposed to following Lex (of all untrustworthy people!) as most of the heroes are. Instead, they're like lemmings.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

BANNED

The Year of Villain seems too much like a HP Lovecraft, F Paul Wilson Adversary Cycle style narrative without doing justice to the grand narrative it requires. I would never have thought that Luthor would willingly become a chump of some Cosmic entity preaching doom yourself or something. Snyder also has failed to establish exactly how empowering the villains and claiming their faith is empowering Perpetua clearly. It seems to have transformed into a rambling narrative featuring quests to collect the doohickeys to empower themselves to accomplish the set objective which has played over a million times for me to get engrossed by it.

I personally just have no interest in it... plus events are annoying, there's always delays and other books are forced to tie-in.

Make it one book and have the comic completed by the time you start advertising for the event.

I will say, if this event is leading to what is rumored (i.e 5g), then interest will be there, but probably not for the reasons they want.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 10-26-2019 at 08:14 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I personally just have no interest in it... plus events are annoying, there's always delays and other books are forced to tie-in.

Make it one book and have the comic completed by the time you start advertising for the event.

I will say, if this event is leading to what is rumored (i.e 5g), then interest will be there, but probably not for the reasons they want.
    I can’t wait for the s***show that's going to happen when jon kent takes over as the new man of tomorrow. Then again clark hasn't been the man of tomorrow since forever . It will be glorious. Too bad the result will be bad for jon in the long run.

Empty is thy hand!

Snyder is painfully derivative and doesn't seem to care that he is. Didio's giving him free reign as long as Dan can overextend the product with tie-ins and padding. "52 done right."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    The Year of Villain seems too much like a HP Lovecraft, F Paul Wilson Adversary Cycle style narrative without doing justice to the grand narrative it requires. I would never have thought that Luthor would willingly become a chump of some Cosmic entity preaching doom yourself or something. Snyder also has failed to establish exactly how empowering the villains and claiming their faith is empowering Perpetua clearly. It seems to have transformed into a rambling narrative featuring quests to collect the doohickeys to empower themselves to accomplish the set objective which has played over a million times for me to get engrossed by it.
    This is probably the best analysis of the whole Dark Multiverse/Year of the Villain idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I am out of the loop! What's 5g?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I am out of the loop! What's 5g?
    Never mind. Just read the article. My reflex response is: yeah, I don't think that's going to work (or stick)...

But that's just me.
    Doctor Bifrost