Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Being a supporting character by nature makes a character useless. They are all by nature replaceable.
    I can't agree with that. Spider-man has some of the most iconic supporting characters in comics.

MJ? She helps drive Peter's personal narrative, provides love and support and is about to star in her own mini-series. She is far from replaceable, as the whole mess since OMD (I am SO sorry for bringing it up) has proved.

Aunt May was one of Peter's main motivations in the early Spider-man issues (WAY before Uncle Ben's death had to be mentioned in every issue), he was either trying to help her pay the bills (hence his job at the Bugle), or worrying about her many vague conditions which caused stress and thus drama for our hero.

Actually, without supporting characters who would Spider-man even fight? Are each and every one of his enemies replaceable? They tried, like, 300 goblins before finally caving and bringing Norman back as Spidey's big bad.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i don't think anyone is gonna come to spidercide's defense, but since the character has been defunct and without impact for almost 2 decades, it's a bit of a low blow
    He appeared for, what, 6-9 months of comics and absolutely nobody has found a single use for him in comic books since. I'm pretty sure he is only remembered due to jokes in message board comments. I might be his number one fan by default.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I can't agree with that. Spider-man has some of the most iconic supporting characters in comics.

MJ? She helps drive Peter's personal narrative, provides love and support and is about to star in her own mini-series. She is far from replaceable, as the whole mess since OMD (I am SO sorry for bringing it up) has proved.

Aunt May was one of Peter's main motivations in the early Spider-man issues (WAY before Uncle Ben's death had to be mentioned in every issue), he was either trying to help her pay the bills (hence his job at the Bugle), or worrying about her many vague conditions which caused stress and thus drama for our hero.

Actually, without supporting characters who would Spider-man even fight? Are each and every one of his enemies replaceable? They tried, like, 300 goblins before finally caving and bringing Norman back as Spidey's big bad.
    All characters who can be replaced by someone else in spirit.

And they have been. That’s why fandom wars exist. MJ replaced Gwen who replaced Betty. I constantly hear people who say that May was better off dead. It’s really how to take what seriously.

Imagine reading a book about superheroes with no supporting characters because they're all "useless"

And they have been. That’s why fandom wars exist. MJ replaced Gwen who replaced Betty. I constantly hear people who say that May was better off dead. It’s really how to take what seriously.
    Although nobody's really been able to replace MJ.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In all fairness, Slott didn't seem interested in writing a strong romantic subplot for Peter rather his interests lay in big canvas events. If someone who was as interested in Peter Parker's life as Spider-Man's heroics wrote Amazing during the BND Era things might have been different.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, closest ones I can think of are Felicia, and that relationship was doomed from the start since she's not willing to change, and Chat from Marvel adventures, but, not main continuity and she wasn't around much.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    In all fairness, Slott didn't seem interested in writing a strong romantic subplot for Peter rather his interests lay in big canvas events.
    He did seem to try it with Carlie and Bobbi, but for whatever reason, Slott seemed to be more inspired with the Ditko quality of love interest/supporting character with them, which means he made them too annoying to be likable, and with Bobbi, at least once the relationship could come across as abusive at worst, and mean spirited at best.

If someone who was as interested in Peter Parker's life as Spider-Man's heroics wrote Amazing during the BND Era things might have been different.
    Well, I do vaguely remember one of the love interests in BND not sucking, Norah I think that was her name? But then again, when your direct competitions are that Gonzalez chick who was just an annoying, arrogant bitch, and Carlie Cooper being Gwen 2.0 (Meaning the characters keep kissing her ass, others get screwed so she looks better and her characterization is inconsistent), then I guess Norah would look great even if it turns out she was meh, but again, I don't really remember lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    ....He did seem to try it with Carlie and Bobbi, but for whatever reason, Slott seemed to be more inspired with the Ditko quality of love interest/supporting character with them, which means he made them too annoying to be likable, and with Bobbi, at least once the relationship could come across as abusive at worst, and mean spirited at best...
    Nah, he never really tried, IMO. Slott's breakneck narrative speed going from one major event to another wasn't conducive for character development or relationship growth. This is why Peter's supporting cast, both traditional and new, suffered so greatly during Slott's tenure.

Nah, he never really tried, IMO. Slott's breakneck narrative speed going from one major event to another wasn't conducive for character development or relationship growth. This is why Peter's supporting cast, both traditional and new, suffered so greatly during Slott's tenure.
    Well, he did the same half assed tactic of making one character become worse so his pet character looks better, like Stan Lee/Romita did, I can call that trying, whether he tried hard or that it was even his top priority or not is hard to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Well, he did the same half assed tactic of making one character become worse so his pet character looks better, like Stan Lee/Romita did, I can call that trying, whether he tried hard or that it was even his top priority or not is hard to say.
    I've simply based my observations on the fact Peter's personal life was clearly neglected during Slott's run (something universally agreed upon by fans and critics alike). It is hard to correctly push a love interest when you use the supporting cast as window dressing for your constant major events. Could Carly or the others have worked better with a writer who had a different narrative focus, we'll never know. We do know Slott can write a compelling love interest when he wants to look at what he did with Anna Maria and Otto.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-17-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    He appeared for, what, 6-9 months of comics and absolutely nobody has found a single use for him in comic books since. I'm pretty sure he is only remembered due to jokes in message board comments. I might be his number one fan by default.
    that's a pretty fair call.

nyah nyah look at the spidercide fan
    troo fan or death

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Peter Parker's a chum who refused to stop an unnamed burglar. Talk about useless!

BANNED

The thinking machine.

Astonishing Member

In all fairness, Slott didn't seem interested in writing a strong romantic subplot for Peter rather his interests lay in big canvas events. If someone who was as interested in Peter Parker's life as Spider-Man's heroics wrote Amazing during the BND Era things might have been different.
    More like people were still grieving over MJ and thus never really gave anyone else a chance.

More like people were still grieving over MJ and thus never really gave anyone else a chance.
    That certainly was a factor.