Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige Adds Marvel Chief Creative Officer Title

https://deadline.com/2019/10/kevin-f...ve-1202760382/

Relevant part about the comics:

"Here is how the reporting structure will line up right under Feige: Dan Buckley will continue as President of Marvel Entertainment, where Ike Perlmutter remains Chairman. Long a creative collaborator for Feige in publishing and television, Buckley will have a dual reporting structure going forward, Deadline hears. He will continue to oversee publishing creative/editorial and in that capacity he will now report to Feige. Buckley is also responsible for publishing operations, sales, creative services, games, licensing and events. There, he will report to Perlmutter. It is expected that Joe Quesada will remain a creative lead for of Marvel Entertainment, reporting to Buckley. It is expected that all the creative execs in publishing will report to Buckley."

This means no one really has to answer to Perlmutter anymore and while I doubt Feige will bother with his full creative control on comics, he'll freely be able to make requests. What kind of requests those may be? I'd imagine making comics more promotional to movies.

Ugh, I'm so mixed on this. I'm immediately worried about a lot of stuff.

That was Joey Q's position previously, right?

Only Based Feige can get this company to publish some damn Avengers comics.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Only Based Feige can get this company to publish some damn Avengers comics.
    And hopefully undo one more day.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

AngelGroveRadioPodcast powerpackers90's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    And hopefully undo one more day.
    I would not be shocked if that happens now. As I can Fiege using that as a way to get good will with Marvel comics
    Angel Grove Radio
    The "ALL NEW" Spider-Man's Tangled Web-Show ON YOUTUBE!!!!

Make it happen! Make it happen now!

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Who's that?

American gymnast McKayla Maroney.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    The move is a last ditch effort to save what's left of the company.
    This will probably be news to some comic fans whose grasp on business is, let's say, a little out of line with reality but most corporations don't go from leading the industry to flat dead in the water.

#1 in the industry doesn't mean "we're on our last legs!" and every move is a desperate, last ditch effort to keep the lights on.

This seems motivated, pretty clearly, to 1) reward Feige for his accomplishments and 2) bring a greater connectivity to all branches of Marvel. Kind of simple.

Makes a lot more sense for creative decisions to be run by Feige than by Ike Perlmutter, doesn't it?

Makes a lot more sense for publishing, TV, and movies to all be overseen by one figure who has an eye on the big picture, doesn't it?

Makes nothing but sense for that person to be the guy who orchestrated the movie division to unprecedented levels of success, right?

I don't think anyone has to reach too hard to figure this one out.

With Phase 4 being what it is things do not look bright for Marvel Comics in general but it could eventually be a decent move in an actual Business sense. It's been beyond obvious for several years now that the crop of C-Level Excs at Marvel know very little or are just incompetent in regards to business.
    They're so incompetent but yet have somehow, through sheer luck perhaps, have accidentally kept the company on top.

I'm curious to see what Feige will contribute in way of ideas and strategies but I think it's safe to say he doesn't see it as his job to save publishing from the present execs.

However, we wont see any real "Change" until a year or two. My current expectations are low that this will be a good move but at the same time ...it can't get much worse anyway.
    Are there fans who honestly look at Marvel's current output that features Hickman's X-Men, Ewing's Hulk, Spencer's Spider-Man, Dzarsky's Daredevil, Cates' Venom, and think "well, it can't get much worse, can it?"

Well, I guess there's always going to be some fans who are unhappy about this and that and there's surely always going to be areas where Marvel can improve but I think from most perspectives, publishing is doing pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    According to many MCU directors of late, Feige is a lot more hands-off and collaborative (in the good way) than people expect when it comes to the MCU. I think he has gotten very comfortable with the talent he hires and even in a few cases he's let directors do what they want. I expect he'll handle the comics side of things the same way. Being imposing hasn't been much of a thing Feige has been said to be for a long while now.
    Yeah. I don't see Feige being heavy-handed and dictatorial when it comes to anything, much less publishing.

Astonishing Member

They better not make the comics follow the movies

I'd have thought more people would be happy to have Joe Quesada, Jeph Loeb and Ike Perlmutter moved down/out of the creative power structures.

All I care about is Runaways living.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    They better not make the comics follow the movies
    That honestly doesn't seem like Fiege's vibe to me.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I'd have thought more people would be happy to have Joe Quesada, Jeph Loeb and Ike Perlmutter moved down/out of the creative power structures.

That is one of the good aspects of this.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Feige becoming Chief Creative Officer whose position is described as focused on adaptations might mean that Editors in Chief now have more say again.

Since Quesada's time as EIC and his promotion to CCO after the Disney purchase, EICs have had less power and say than before where basically it seemed that Quesada was still the uber-EIC in some capacity.

But if Feige's more interested and involved in licenses then that means he might be more hands-off about the comics side and allow Cebulski or his successors leeway.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I think CB Cebulski is doing everything within his power to do that.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.