Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige Adds Marvel Chief Creative Officer Title

https://deadline.com/2019/10/kevin-f...ve-1202760382/

Relevant part about the comics:

"Here is how the reporting structure will line up right under Feige: Dan Buckley will continue as President of Marvel Entertainment, where Ike Perlmutter remains Chairman. Long a creative collaborator for Feige in publishing and television, Buckley will have a dual reporting structure going forward, Deadline hears. He will continue to oversee publishing creative/editorial and in that capacity he will now report to Feige. Buckley is also responsible for publishing operations, sales, creative services, games, licensing and events. There, he will report to Perlmutter. It is expected that Joe Quesada will remain a creative lead for of Marvel Entertainment, reporting to Buckley. It is expected that all the creative execs in publishing will report to Buckley."

This means no one really has to answer to Perlmutter anymore and while I doubt Feige will bother with his full creative control on comics, he'll freely be able to make requests. What kind of requests those may be? I'd imagine making comics more promotional to movies.

Ugh, I'm so mixed on this. I'm immediately worried about a lot of stuff.

That was Joey Q's position previously, right?

Only Based Feige can get this company to publish some damn Avengers comics.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member

They better not make the comics follow the movies

I'd have thought more people would be happy to have Joe Quesada, Jeph Loeb and Ike Perlmutter moved down/out of the creative power structures.

All I care about is Runaways living.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    That honestly doesn't seem like Fiege's vibe to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    That was Joey Q's position previously, right?
    That's what's been printed on the Marvel Comics credits pages for this month. Apparently Quesada will have a smaller role but it looks like he's off the credits page which he has claimed in some capacity since 2000. Pretty soon every comic published by Marvel will have Feige's name on the credits as CCO.

Who knows what that means...but it confirms a general trend, namely that Quesada and others have had diminishing influence ever since Feige cut himself off Perlmutter and less so with the cancellation of Netflix shoes (produced by Quesada) and the lack of polish in their crappy cartoons.

It's a smart business move on Marvel's part because this way they get relevancy. Feige is Disney's biggest producer right now, and by entrusting him with Marvel, Feige now has to devote himself to making Marvel big as opposed to just the movies big. So it's a smart gambit.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I'd have thought more people would be happy to have Joe Quesada, Jeph Loeb and Ike Perlmutter moved down/out of the creative power structures.

All I care about is Runaways living.
    That is one of the good aspects of this.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Feige becoming Chief Creative Officer whose position is described as focused on adaptations might mean that Editors in Chief now have more say again.

Since Quesada's time as EIC and his promotion to CCO after the Disney purchase, EICs have had less power and say than before where basically it seemed that Quesada was still the uber-EIC in some capacity.

But if Feige's more interested and involved in licenses then that means he might be more hands-off about the comics side and allow Cebulski or his successors leeway.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    This is my initial thought as well

I really hope he’s hands-off in regards to the comics. Let them do their thing.

What I think can be really good is that he’ll have creative control over all of Marvel. I hope that means we’ll finally get good animation made.

There's been plenty of comics following the movies under the previous administration, right? And no indication that Feige was behind it, but likely instead Perlmutter and friends. Feige is known to be a fan of the comics so I don't know why he'd go in the direction of messing too much with them.

BANNED

Plus the comics being less like the movies gives the movies more ideas to use, which I feel like Feige would be aware of.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I really hope he’s hands-off in regards to the comics. Let them do their thing.
    Marvel Entertainment is the company that runs comics, games and other stuff, while Marvel Studios now has TV, Cinema, Cartoons and so on.

So basically Marvel Entertaiment's main focus is on comics now, and Dan Buckley, who is "President of Marvel Entertainment" now reports to Feige.

Basically Feige is officially the most powerful figure in Marvel and everybody works for him and not Perlmutter. Perlmutter's position and influence is now greatly reduced (though still considerable and important assuming he owns shares and so on). Quesada has been promoted to Executive Vice President, a position not credited in the comics, so he's off the credits.

What I think can be really good is that he’ll have creative control over all of Marvel. I hope that means we’ll finally get good animation made.
    I've glimpsed What-If and it looks really good. So yeah we can be spared Quesada's and Wacker's attempts at becoming animation producers.

Extraordinary Member

Hopefully this means that Feige will share his plans with the comics a little bit more, so they stop doing "Life of Captain Marvel" type stories where they try to change the comics based on what they think the movies are going to do, or playing catch-up with the movies months after they come out. There will always be some synergy, but there are better ways to do it than what they've been doing.