Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    One of the reasons a lot of people hate the X-Men movies is because it isn't at all a faithful adaptation of the source material. Marvel's not going to alienate those people by doing a version of their own that's even more out there.
    They hate those movies because they're cheaply made and had **** continuity burning through characters from the start and obsessing over Wolverine. The MCU proves fans will accept reasonable liberties taken (Spidey's status quo, etc.) if the larger product is durable, true to the spirit and overall word of the text, and fun. And as of now, Dawn of X is in continuity, not something made up for the films. So yes, I can see them lifting the Krakoa setting and status quo, etc. Westchester, etc. could easily become flashback material, as it is in print right now. Elements of the story and setting will be used, not the actual HoX miniseries. Same as all things MCU.

And yes: Hickman's return interview re: opportunities was a clear note about the MCU.
    Last edited by powerpax; 10-15-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. Rather have more variety in creative ideas.
    I think Feige will probably make marvel comics have new ideas, instead cf copying the MCU

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think Fiege will want the comics to sort of line up with the movies, but he makes quality products and he's a fan.

This does sort of make you realize that Hickman is probably writing X-Men as some sort of a movie pitch.
    If so I’m all in. Loving it so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    One one hand, this could be good if it leads to Perlmutter having less power, and Feige is someone that knows the characters well.

On the other, could lead to more "movie synergy" ugh...
    Movie synergy.

*Pukes*

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Movie synergy.

*Pukes*
    That won't happen. Feige want a mini industry of new ideas

Astonishing Member

Doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. Rather have more variety in creative ideas.
    Considering where the previous leadership got us I rather give Feige a fair shake considering his resume lol

I don't really think there's any reason to think this will be a shift in one direction or the other. BleedingCool is already reporting that Feige is likely to be pretty hands off with the comics, and that the focus of this shift is giving Feige the TV control.

Feige likely won't mess with the comics. What it likely means is that:
    • Synergy across movies and shows.
    • No shows that are MCU in-name only. All are connected.
    • Possible reboots of the old Marvel TV shows.
    • Higher budgets for said shows.
    • Better animated series, likely on par with DC if treated with the same seriousness as the movies.
    • Better video games, again, if treated as seriously as the movies. Hopefully treated as legit games and not just propaganda.
    • More digital comics, which they haven't explored much in the past.
    • Possible overhaul of Marvel Unlimited to include Marvel movies and shows like DC Universe.

There's been a discrepancy with how Marvel has been viewed as a movie company versus a comic book, TV, animation, and video game company, sadly, with the latter often being seen as the lesser. Hopefully with Feige in charge of everything, they'll give the feel of a strong and fully unified company which is for the best. Normally, I'm against one person having total control, but... I think Feige earned his auteur license here.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Yeah, if we've learned anything from the recent MCU announcements, it's that Feige likes to take ideas from the comics that aren't just imitating what was in the movies: Ms. Marvel, Kate Bishop Hawkeye, King's Vision, etc.

From a business point of view, Marvel comics are low-paid idea farms, where the MCU can get new characters and concepts for much less money than it would cost for movie people to come up with them.

I don’t doubt that the IP farm aspect is a big reason why Disney and WB allow such low-profit subdivisions to continue.

I think Feige will probably make marvel comics have new ideas, instead cf copying the MCU
    Feige might see Marvel Comics as an opportunity for Research & Development, so if someone has a crazy idea and wants to test how the audience might respond and flesh out the ideas, that can be done in a much more visual medium than a screenplay. However, there might need to be elements of the MCU rather than the existing Marvel universe for the story to work. So both might happen.

I could see more Marc Guggenheim types who want to do MCU movies being told to pitch to Marvel Comics first. Sales wouldn't need to be great. Existing readers might not need to be happy if the idea is solid and can be developed into a movie. So might not necessarily be great for continuity.

Studios spend far more on buying scripts and revising them which never end up actually being greenlit than most people think. If Marvel Comics is essentially part of that pipeline, then it doesn't matter if it's profitable. It's R&D and talent development for screenwriters.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Feige might see Marvel Comics as an opportunity for Research & Development, so if someone has a crazy idea and wants to test how the audience might respond and flesh out the ideas, that can be done in a much more visual medium than a screenplay.
    What crazy ideas could possibly come from the comics?
    Last edited by ARkadelphia; 10-21-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Feige might see Marvel Comics as an opportunity for Research & Development, so if someone has a crazy idea and wants to test how the audience might respond and flesh out the ideas, that can be done in a much more visual medium than a screenplay. However, there might need to be elements of the MCU rather than the existing Marvel universe for the story to work. So both might happen.

I could see more Marc Guggenheim types who want to do MCU movies being told to pitch to Marvel Comics first. Sales wouldn't need to be great. Existing readers might not need to be happy if the idea is solid and can be developed into a movie. So might not necessarily be great for continuity.

Studios spend far more on buying scripts and revising them which never end up actually being greenlit than most people think. If Marvel Comics is essentially part of that pipeline, then it doesn't matter if it's profitable. It's R&D and talent development for screenwriters.
    yeah, marvel is a great way to test and develop ideas.

You can even release out of continuity stories as mini or maxi series.

Making Marvel Comics focus on being a test lab for the MCU seems like functionally giving up on the comics as an independent and valuable art form and business model. The output wouldn't intrinsically be designed to entertain but rather to perform a series of experiments to determine viability. All the guardrails would have to come off and it'd be a free for all of ideas and execution. All standards would have to by necessity be ignored. None of that sounds positive for the medium, though it's impossible to rule out some brilliant stuff coming out of the experimentation.

I suspect it's more likely that Feige does nothing for the time being. He a man who is associated and likely associates himself with success. I doubt he'd want to oversee a division that can't produce the kind of successful progression he oversaw in the cinematic world. Ultimately, he'll want to make his mark and that mark needs to coincide with increased sales, which coming out of the cinematic world, is really the only relevant indicator of success. If Marvel Comics continues to remain flat or slightly negative on units shipped, I imagine he gets more directly involved to understand the underlying problems and try to deal with them. Otherwise, what's the point of making him CCO?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Making Marvel Comics focus on being a test lab for the MCU seems like functionally giving up on the comics as an independent and valuable art form and business model. The output wouldn't intrinsically be designed to entertain but rather to perform a series of experiments to determine viability. All the guardrails would have to come off and it'd be a free for all of ideas and execution. All standards would have to by necessity be ignored. None of that sounds positive for the medium, though it's impossible to rule out some brilliant stuff coming out of the experimentation.

I suspect it's more likely that Feige does nothing for the time being. He a man who is associated and likely associates himself with success. I doubt he'd want to oversee a division that can't produce the kind of successful progression he oversaw in the cinematic world. Ultimately, he'll want to make his mark and that mark needs to coincide with increased sales, which coming out of the cinematic world, is really the only relevant indicator of success. If Marvel Comics continues to remain flat or slightly negative on units shipped, I imagine he gets more directly involved to understand the underlying problems and try to deal with them. Otherwise, what's the point of making him CCO?
    Look MCU rarely adapts stories without doing modifications. So comics can run ideas without it looking like MCU.

Also it could incentivate editors and writers to get more creative.

Clearly Feige is a lot more talented than Quesada, that is the reason he is CCO