All-New Member

Default Is Knightquest really worth it?

Of course everyone has their own opinions and tastes, but I'd like you to help me.
    I've just read (for the first time) the Knightfall TPB. I've enjoyed it a lot. But I found it a little long, especially the parts with Jean Paul as Batman. Many of you no doubt consider Jean Paul totally key in the story, and he is, but I am simply not interested in him. I would have been happier with fewer issues and Jean-Paul's part reduced to half.
    The thing is, now I am suppossed read Knightquest. But Bruce Wayne is still on a wheelchair, and out of the country with his own task. And I think the whole part centres on Jean-Paul. Is it true? Would you recommend me to read Knightquest anyway, or could I just skip it? Should I read only "The Search"? And if you think that it is essential to read Knightquest, do you know where I should insert the issues of The Search in chronological order?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Semer View Post
    Of course everyone has their own opinions and tastes, but I'd like you to help me.
    I've just read (for the first time) the Knightfall TPB. I've enjoyed it a lot. But I found it a little long, especially the parts with Jean Paul as Batman. Many of you no doubt consider Jean Paul totally key in the story, and he is, but I am simply not interested in him. I would have been happier with fewer issues and Jean-Paul's part reduced to half.
    The thing is, now I am suppossed read Knightquest. But Bruce Wayne is still on a wheelchair, and out of the country with his own task. And I think the whole part centres on Jean-Paul. Is it true? Would you recommend me to read Knightquest anyway, or could I just skip it? Should I read only "The Search"? And if you think that it is essential to read Knightquest, do you know where I should insert the issues of The Search in chronological order?
    I would recommend reading the new 25th anniversary editions that were recently released they have everything in the proper reading order.

I really loved this trilogy, it is what basically got me into comics when I was a kid; however, if you aren't feeling it you may want to simply read the wiki on it and waste money on something you are not liking; especially if you think Knightfall is long because there are NINE volumes of the new editions.

I wouldn't recommend skipping anything simply because it all leads to finale which is pretty amazing.

https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...ersary-edition

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

I mean, KnightQuest is meant to be JPV's story. If you don't care about him as a character, then I see no point in reading it.

You can't skip it to understand the whole story.
    And if you read the latest editions, you will also have the Knightquest:The Search part that was missing from the previous omnibus. Which focuses on Bruce Wayne and Alfred Pennyworth.
    I agree that JPV is a bit low in Knightfall, but he gets better in Knightquest. I also hope "The Sword of Azrael" was included in your Knightfall edition, otherwise go back and read it.

Mighty Member

The Search is the more necessary component before moving on to Knightsend. Stuff certainly happens to JPV in The Crusade, but you can get the gist of it when you get to Knightsend. As to chronology, they are out there but there's very little overlap between the two stories until the end. Bruce isn't in Gotham at all until the end and I don't think JPV leaves it.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I've only read the previews for those issues on the DC website and I have to admit, I was quickly bored.

The only stand out arc was when JPV felt something for Catwoman and it's like he feels compelled to conquer her because he's a Batman and BatCat is a thing. It's both creepy and intriguing. Unlike pairing Batman with Batgirl in Batman Beyond, this one feels like the author aware and intends it to be creepy, so it's something I can read.

I'm more interested in Bruce's recovery journey in the other book.

Censorship Sucks

Knightquest was awesome. I read it month to month when it was coming out and loved it. I could not believe Batman had become so dark and crossed the line. Of course, it was a different time. That kind of thing was new. Now, a anti-hero is nothing special.

Amazing Member

The Crusade is absolutely necessary to read if you're trying to get the full scope of the Knightfall trilogy.

Bruce basically leaves his city to a psychotic Batman that makes a mockery of everything Batman stands for. The finale, KnightsEnd, won't be as good if the Crusade is skipped.

The impact JPV makes on Batman's various relationships, including almost killing Robin right at the start of the Crusade, to completely ruining the trust that Batman has built up with James Gordon throughout the years. And the final few issues of The Crusade that would make Christopher Nolan's Batman proud, just really fun stuff

Knightquest is definitely better written than Knightfall to me. I thought the Shadow of the Bat issues were pretty outstanding.

But, if you want a better Knightfall story, read Amazing Spider-Man: The Gauntlet and Grim Hunt. It's pretty much the same thing but the Spidey version executed it a lot better.

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

If you really want to understand the whole scope of the story it's best to read all of it. Granted I am probably biased (obviously by my name here), but the reason I say this is because in reading Knightfall, Knightquest: The Crusade, Knightquest: The Search, and KnightsEnd, you get a better idea of why Bruce had to come back. They gave JPV a nice amount of time in the cowl so that people could see him in many of the same elements that Bruce had gone through. You have to remember, comics weren't always about constant mega arcs like they have been or the past 10 years.
    Comics, especially Batman comics, used to have 1-2 issue stories that didn't always involve the big name rogues. It's important to see JPV facing not just the big bads, but the D-listers and normal crime as well.
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I reccomend you this topic:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ght=knightfall

I followed JBatmanFan05 reading order and it's been a great run.

I agree with you that Jean Paul as Batman parts is the weak link of this epic saga. Anyway it's absolutely worth reading.

All-New Member

Thank you for your useful opinions.