Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Feige's Promotion and the impact on Spider-Man

Today's latest news has Kevin Feige taking over as Chief Creative Officer for Marvel Entertainment, a role previously held by Joe Quesada for a good amount of years. As part of Feige's role, he will oversee the multimedia side (movies, TV, animation), and publishing efforts of Marvel. So my question is simple:

What effect do you think this has on Spider-Man? With Joe Quesada no longer CCO (still an executive according to sources), and Feige being in charge, what do you think he'll do for the Web-Slinger? This could be comics, movies, animation, etc.

Now there is a chance OMD will finally end... maybe (just maybe) Mayday can reappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    Now there is a chance OMD will finally end... maybe (just maybe) Mayday can reappear.
    How do you figure?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    How do you figure?
    I would say exactly why I think this could happen, but Mets and the other mods might get angry with me if I do. I'll say this much, because of info I've shared with you in private messages is why with Big Joe gone things could change. I doubt you're fully surprised by Joe's departure after what I told you is happening behind the scenes.

Edit - i.e. My insider sources I can't name told me if Big Joe ever left his position there is a good chance OMD might be undone or at least addressed in some fashion. Because I refuse to out my sources the mods would prefer I do not post about such rumors. If I was allowed I'd say much more about this (Joe's departure and what I've heard was the reason), but I'm not so I must digress.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-15-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I would say exactly why I think this could happen, but Mets and the other mods might get angry with me if I do. I'll say this much, because of info I've shared with you in private messages is why with Big Joe gone things could change.

Edit - i.e. My insider sources I can't name told me if Big Joe ever left his position there is a good chance OMD might be undone or at least addressed in some fashion. Because I refuse to out my sources the mods would prefer I do not post about such rumors.
    But Joe Q isn't gone. He simply has the same position but with a different title. What impact having Feige overseeing the publishing division remains to be seen but Quesada is still very much around.

I imagine Feige will be focused primarily on the TV end of things. Supervising that and overseeing the synergy between the films and the shows is going to leave little time to micromanage the comics.

The most likely effect of Feige being involved with the comics is that publishing will be better equipped to capatilize on what's coming up in TV and film.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    But Joe Q isn't gone. He simply has the same position but with a different title. What impact having Feige overseeing the publishing division remains to be seen but Quesada is still very much around.

I imagine Feige will be focused primarily on the TV end of things. Supervising that and overseeing the synergy between the films and the shows is going to leave little time to micromanage the comics.

The most likely effect of Feige being involved with the comics is that publishing will be better equipped to capatilize on what's coming up in TV and film.
    Which is why I'm so hoping for a live-action Spider-Man show with Peter Parker. We've desperately needed one for years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well, he has no power now according to what I've heard. Joe's position is only ceremonial. I'm sure everything will be made public soon enough in the press and we can all read about what happened. I can't say more due to forum rules.
    I don't think Disney/Marvel would be interested in paying a salary like the one Joe Q pulls down for strictly ceremonial reasons. For Stan Marvel would do that. Not for Quesada.

Sorry but I just can't put any stock in "what you've heard". An anonymous poster sharing "information" that comes from hush-hush unverified sources (which could be nothing more than "I talk to the owner of my LCS!") is nothing to hang a legit discussion on. It's too likely to be bs. That's not forum rules, it's just common sense.

Time will tell what effect Feige will have on publishing. I would guess "not much" - at least not any time soon.

BANNED

Quesada's influence has been declining for some time. It started when the Creative Committee he headed bombed hard and was openly denigrated by both Joss Whedon and James Gunn.

Then the Netflix shows got cancelled. These Marvel cartoons he produced with Stephen Wacker have not been setting the world on fire, competing poorly against the 2017 Ducktales among other things. So Quesada's time as CCO in the last few years has been pretty spotty. Of the lot, the Netflix Daredevil show was the best. Another sign of his declining influence is the PS4 game where the developers demanded and somehow got their way to put across a major development to the story of a Spider-Man game that had generally been verboten for adaptations.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't think Disney/Marvel would be interested in paying a salary like the one Joe Q pulls down for strictly ceremonial reasons. For Stan Marvel would do that. Not for Quesada.
    Quesada has actually been trying to put himself across a la Stan. In the Spider-Man cartoon on-air Quesada actually voices a character and appears in one of the episodes. This didn't get comment because the cartoon's poor and not doing well in ratings, but it's the first time any former EIC other than Stan has made cameo appearances in adaptations and with on-air interactions with Spider-Man too. Then Quesada is hosting a documentary series for Disney Plus.

So he's been trying to build his personal brand for quite some time.

Time will tell what effect Feige will have on publishing. I would guess "not much" - at least not any time soon.
    Feige has declared multiple times that he's a major fan of the JMS run on both ASM and Thor. JMS' run on ASM was the last time we had a married Spider-Man.

I think Feige will have an indirect effect. All he has to do is give a speech to everyone at Marvel and say something vague and drop some hints that filter downwards. Then some writer or another can make a pitch, like say undoing OMD, and editors and others shrug and go overhead...and Feige in one of those 20 or 10mn meetings busy people allow just shrugs his shoulders and goes "why not" and signs off on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    I’m praying that OMD will be undone now that Feige’s in control. That would be the perfect way for him to solidify goodwill on the comic side of things.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

BANNED

Feige remember initially around the time of the first Iron Man wanted to make Tobey Maguire’s Peter canon and was even interested in working with Garfield Spidey and both versions are older. So he’s not beholden to Spider-Man being a teenager.

The two things about this that interest me most are the prospect of video games and animation.

For the former, I imagine more better quality games and less time-wasters on mobile. Make games for the sake of making good entertainment, not cheap profit. The successes of Spider-Man PS4 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 prove this. In particular, I think they should give Marvel vs. Capcom another go, as Infinite suffered from executive meddling. Alternatively, they can make an all-Marvel fighter. Make other games too, such as an X-Men RPG (think an X-Men: Destiny only it doesn't suck). Be more experimental and take risks. Deliver good gaming experiences.

For the latter, I imagine more better quality animation and less filler. We could see better, consistent action-animation on par with what DC has been producing for the longest time. When's the last Marvel animated series to be really good? I'd say it's been a while. The last good ones were Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. We're due for some good animated shows. I want a good Spider-Man series, a good X-Men series, a good Avengers series, and hell, make a Marvel Animated Universe while they're at it.

Overall, I think this can only be a good thing. Taking the power away from Ike, Loeb and Joey Q was such a good idea I can't believe it actually happened.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    The two things about this that interest me most are the prospect of video games and animation.
    From what I read, games are still under Buckley's purview but since he reports to Feige, that means more autonomy.

Mike Jones is currently in charge of Marvel Games (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ma.../1100-6451118/) and he indicates that he wants some autonomy and movement. Everyone wants to be Feige. And you can see how Feige's success has inspired a new group of producers and execs who model themselves on him.

For the former, I imagine more better quality games and less time-wasters on mobile.
    Mobile games is easily the biggest growing market of games so I can't imagine disinvestment in that. I mean EA has famously made a botch of the Star Wars AAA license but on mobile games it's made money like gangbusters. Maybe mobile games will improve in quality I don't know.

The last good ones were Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
    All made by (or co-produced with) outside studios rather than in-house as their current crop has been.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    IÂ’m praying that OMD will be undone now that FeigeÂ’s in control. That would be the perfect way for him to solidify goodwill on the comic side of things.
    I strongly suspect that Joe Q will not be long for Marvel, and OMD/BND is coming to an end. Now, I do not nor do I claim to know anyone who works for Disney and ( or) Marvel, but the position that Feige is in, is where I am sure Joe wanted to be in ( "Running The Whole Enchilada."), and basically there is "No Room At The Top." Maybe he can go work with his buddy Alonso? On to OMD/BND, Spencer is already cleaning up the Dan Slott mess, but it takes years to not only undo bad stories, but create good ones in the process, instead of compounding things and making them worse. The Kraven Arc is an example of doing things right. 'Kraven's Last Hunt' was undone by 'Grim Hunt' and Spencer fixed things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I strongly suspect that Joe Q will not be long for Marvel, and OMD/BND is coming to an end.
    This kind of talk reminds me of when Disney bought Marvel and some fans were sure that this meant that Disney would take it upon themselves to strong arm Quesada into righting the wrong of OMD. Didn't happen, obviously, and don't look for it to happen now.

If it helps those waiting for OMD to be undone, though, I suspect that Spencer may have - with the Kindred storyline - found a way to thread that OMD needle and will somehow let the marriage be remembered, undo Mephisto's deal, and keep Peter and MJ as a couple - just not a married one. I could be completely wrong on that but I feel like Spencer, being the clever fellow he is, has concocted some way to "fix" OMD. Not to the point of remarrying Peter and MJ but to the point where there's no longer that blind spot of the marriage in continuity.