Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 140
  1. #106
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Now that's just obvious bait if I've ever seen it.

  2. #107
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Even then, it's not even Peter they based him on, but on Miles for whatever reason.
    Besides Ned, not so much.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  3. #108
    Mighty Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Besides Ned, not so much.
    MCU Peter is more of someone who looks up to other heroes and is trying to live up to someone's hype, plus his personality is more on the quiet and awkward side, and his main tech is not stuff he made, but was given to him, those are Miles things, not Peter.

    But I worded that badly, it's not 100% Miles, he did have his own costume, and made his own web shooters too, but then the real cool super awesome toys were given to him by Tony, and getting them in the end is part of his development, but thing is, when his personality isn't like Ultimate Peter, since Ultimate Peter was pretty much a short tempered teenager, and we have him being more of "I wanna be an awesome hero like x", him having a friend who's Ganke who's named Ned for whatever reason, lacking stuff like "I have to be the man of the house and get money so my family can have a confortable life", and instead being just a guy who is being taken care of by his family, and I think MCU Peter is even part of some school for talented kids instead of just a normal school... There's some Peter in there, but I'm seeing more Miles.

    Edit: Also, forgot to mention, him being bullied, that's more of a Peter thing, hell, the way Flash does it, with him constantly talking shit about Peter, that's actually more accurate to Ditko era of Flash, since he hardly actually hit Peter back then, think the only time he did was in the Living Brain issue, any other time, he just threatened, but kept at that.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-17-2019 at 11:19 PM.

  4. #109
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    245

    Default

    I have to wonder how worthwhile Miles is supposedly is if the most notable things about him is stuff Peter already did.
    Because last I remembered Peter got the Iron Spider suit years before Miles debuted, but now suddenly getting a suit from someone else is a thing Miles invented and Peter did go to a science-based high school and Peter has looked up to other heroes before.
    But suddenly now it's all miles exclusive like that stuff never happened until he existed.
    Heck, I heard utterly no complaints when they made Midtown high a science-based school for the ASM movies.
    Last edited by Bloxer; 10-18-2019 at 12:17 AM.

  5. #110
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    I have to wonder how worthwhile Miles is supposedly is if the most notable things about him is stuff Peter already did.
    Because last I remembered Peter got the Iron Spider suit years before Miles debuted, but now suddenly getting a suit from someone else is a thing Miles invented and Peter did go to a science-based high school and Peter has looked up to other heroes before.
    But suddenly now it's all miles exclusive like that stuff never happened until he existed.
    Heck, I heard utterly no complaints when they made Midtown high a science-based school for the ASM movies.
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't a science-based school in the ASM movies.

    The stuff people accuse Peter of ripping off from Miles is having a younger-looking mother figure, attending a magnet school, having a more racially diverse cast, having a rival who isn't a physical bully, being a fan of established superheroes and being mentored by them.

    To be clear, I don't hate MCU Peter but it's hard to deny his similarities to Miles.

  6. #111
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Yeah. It should be, "I nearly got killed because you rolled over a guy's salvage business and he went nuts, and also turned to out be the Dad of this girl I wanted to ask out, and now I got c---blocked because of you" or words to that end.
    Wow. I honestly don't know how to respond to that.

    We have a fundamental disagreement not just on the character of Peter, but on character in general, dialogue, and basic narrative storytelling. I'm not going to spell out how wrong you are because I doubt anything I say would change your view. And I can't take anything you say seriously after reading that.

  7. #112
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Wow. I honestly don't know how to respond to that.
    Silence is always an option. As the OP insisted and suggested we all move on, the recommendation is you do the same.

  8. #113
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't a science-based school in the ASM movies.

    The stuff people accuse Peter of ripping off from Miles is having a younger-looking mother figure, attending a magnet school, having a more racially diverse cast, having a rival who isn't a physical bully, being a fan of established superheroes and being mentored by them.

    To be clear, I don't hate MCU Peter but it's hard to deny his similarities to Miles.
    In the ASM movies it's called the Midtown Science Highschool, so if it ain't science based I don't know what is.
    And thing is while there are similarities it's not stuff that wasn't already done or introduced by a version of Peter, younger mother figure? Well Ultimate universe Aunt May was younger than 616 May.
    Racially diverse cast? Well I honestly can't remember single memeber of Miles supporting cast that isn't either his parents or Ganke so that one always falls flat with me.
    Not having a physical bully? Well that's how Flash was originally portrayed, never really getting his hands on Peter and again I'm not even sure miles had a rival since his supporting cast is just not memorable.
    Being a fan of other heroes? Ultimate Peter showed he was a fan of other heroes at times and Peter and Tony bonding was a thing that did have precedent in the Civil War comics, only now Peter's younger when it happens with no reason to turn on Tony.

  9. #114
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    44,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't a science-based school in the ASM movies.

    The stuff people accuse Peter of ripping off from Miles is having a younger-looking mother figure, attending a magnet school, having a more racially diverse cast, having a rival who isn't a physical bully, being a fan of established superheroes and being mentored by them.

    To be clear, I don't hate MCU Peter but it's hard to deny his similarities to Miles.
    And, y'know, clearly stealing Miles' best friend character .

  10. #115
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't a science-based school in the ASM movies.

    The stuff people accuse Peter of ripping off from Miles is having a younger-looking mother figure, attending a magnet school, having a more racially diverse cast, having a rival who isn't a physical bully, being a fan of established superheroes and being mentored by them.

    To be clear, I don't hate MCU Peter but it's hard to deny his similarities to Miles.
    There is little doubt that the MCU Version of Peter is very different then 616 and borrowing from Miles makes him more "Relatable" to a younger and more diverse audience. For that reason it does not bother me, despite preferring the RYV and Pre-OMD version of Peter most of all. What gets to me more then anything is the BND version where he is written as a man-child far removed from any version from Ditko and the rest. ( particularly the Silk issues which were the final.straw, and thus, I did not read Parker Industries arc). I would love to see the marriage back, but I can take Pete and MJ growing old together with Joe Q/Slott influences like Mephisto and Cindy being far away from Amazing.

  11. #116
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    There is little doubt that the MCU Version of Peter is very different then 616 and borrowing from Miles makes him more "Relatable" to a younger and more diverse audience. For that reason it does not bother me, despite preferring the RYV and Pre-OMD version of Peter most of all. What gets to me more then anything is the BND version where he is written as a man-child far removed from any version from Ditko and the rest. ( particularly the Silk issues which were the final.straw, and thus, I did not read Parker Industries arc). I would love to see the marriage back, but I can take Pete and MJ growing old together with Joe Q/Slott influences like Mephisto and Cindy being far away from Amazing.
    Yeah no.

    Trust me when I say you have massive nostalgia goggles for pre-OMD. I did too until read JMS again. ASM was the second worst pre-OMD book only preceding Friendly Neighborhood.

    I feel like people wanting to retcon OMD out just prove that they’re not writers for their lack of imagination and this forced to just revisit old ideas and pander to fan service which honestly is made Slott’s run so horrible.

  12. #117
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Yeah no.

    Trust me when I say you have massive nostalgia goggles for pre-OMD. I did too until read JMS again. ASM was the second worst pre-OMD book only preceding Friendly Neighborhood.

    I feel like people wanting to retcon OMD out just prove that they’re not writers for their lack of imagination and this forced to just revisit old ideas and pander to fan service which honestly is made Slott’s run so horrible.
    What? Are you kidding me? The second worst book?
    Also, this is not the place to have this discussion.
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  13. #118
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    ....I feel like people wanting to retcon OMD out just prove that they’re not writers for their lack of imagination and this forced to just revisit old ideas and pander to fan service which honestly is made Slott’s run so horrible.
    And how the heck is Post-OMD not pandering to fans by using the same tired, old high school/college age Spidey antics we saw for about three decades? Your argument is a double-edged sword at best a straw man at worst.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  14. #119
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    What? Are you kidding me? The second worst book?
    I stand by my point.
    Also, this is not the place to have this discussion.
    I concede to this one.

  15. #120
    Mighty Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    I have to wonder how worthwhile Miles is supposedly is if the most notable things about him is stuff Peter already did.
    Because last I remembered Peter got the Iron Spider suit years before Miles debuted, but now suddenly getting a suit from someone else is a thing Miles invented
    Well, when Miles had other people giving him his web shooters and another costume, it was a big deal for the character's development, like he's "worthy" of being a hero, when Tony gave the Spider-Armor to Peter, it was more like "Yo Peter, here, take this cool gift", so it wasn't the same thing, because with Miles it's part of his development, with Peter it was just a shiny new costume.

    and Peter did go to a science-based high school
    Him going to advanced schools is the exception, not the rule though, and when he does, he still had other stuff that is "typical Peter", so even that one change didn't stray too much.

    and Peter has looked up to other heroes before.
    Yes he did, but the difference is that Peter may be just someone's fan, and if they're assholes to him, he tends to dismiss them, so he likes them, but ultimately, they aren't that important to him, with Miles, when he's starting, he tends to need someone's approval more.

    But suddenly now it's all miles exclusive like that stuff never happened until he existed.
    You're very dramatic man.

    I never said "Oh, Miles did those things first, Peter never did anything remotely similar", or anything close to that, what I'm saying is that, those traits that MCU Peter has, have more in common with Miles in the way they're executed, so because of that, I feel that MCU Peter takes more from Miles than Peter.

    Heck, I heard utterly no complaints when they made Midtown high a science-based school for the ASM movies.
    And did I say that Peter having those things is a bad thing at any point?

    I don't hide that I don't care much about MCU Peter, but it's more because I have preferences when it comes to characters, even more when it's Spider-Man, but MCU Peter is just someone I don't care about much, but I don't think he's a bad character at all.

    Hell, if they did start to suddenly give him more "typical" Peter traits, then he would be a bad character, even if I prefer those traits, it'd be against what MCU Peter had established, and I'm against drastic, sudden changes like that since it's bad writing and childish.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •