Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
Having superheroes fight each other and having both of them start and end as heroes will always be stupid and hard to impossible to achieve at least in a mainstream superhero story. And as it is Captain America Civil War didn't do a good enough job to establish that. If you see the movie it sort of works in isolation on strength of individual scenes but overall it doesn't work.

Acts of Vengeance was a story that dealt with registration and it didn't involve heroes fighting each other...and Tony was against it there. So there was a better alternative.

Spider-Man's role in CIVIL War which also set the course for the direction of his later films (i.e. Iron Man sub-franchise) could have been done any number of ways. The one they chose, tying it to Robert Downey Jr. is obviously a reflection of his great star power.

BTW, Robert Downey Jr. was almost not in Civil War either. His contract had finished and was negotiating an update and Perlmutter wanted to fire him because he was asking for pay. This was one of the reasons why Feige got autonomy and so his current promotion. So that's an example of how important RDJ was that ultimately the suits decided to fence Perlmutter in rather than drive him away.

Had RDJ not come in then the Russos would have adapted Jack Kirby's Madbomb as Captain America Part 3. Spider-Man would have still shown up since the Sony/Marvel deal isn't conditioned on RDJ but if he's out of the picture, then I think Spider-Man would have been more of his own character.
Considering the fact that Perlmutter is a guy widely known for being cheap, and did not want female or minorities to lead films, and overall Feige was almost going to quit because he had to keep dealing with Perlmutter and the creative committee, plus the fact the Russo's wanted to do Civil war and Feige gave them the OK after initially rejecting the idea because of BvS being announced doesn't help your point because you're not giving the full story you're only giving as much so it looks like stuff happened or was greenlight because of RDJ and not because of other factors.
Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
It's the issue with Batman. Sure he's a great character, great villains and great stories (a little overexposed but let's leave that aside)...but at the same time, I don't like seeing stories where the Justice League and everyone else are chumps who bask in his giant cape-extended silhouette. I don't like the Batgod. I don't think it does it service. Likewise, stories where Batman insults Robin or his partners and so on. I mean if the story is communicating that Batman is being an asshole (like Waid's Tower of Babel) then it's fine but usually it's passed as a straight face. The MCU Tony and Spidey thing feels like the Irongod, you know the sidekick can't talk back and so on. And it gets annoying to see and it feels anti-democratic somehow.

I prefer the JLU cartoons where Batman is treated as equal to the rest of the JL and they to him. Some times other characters get the last word, sometimes some minor guy saves the day...whereas in the MCU, it always seems to be Iron Man who's the center of everything and that just sucks.

I do in fact think that Spider-Man is a better character than Iron Man, on both a literary level and a moral level. And I am not wrong to think. I don't think it's uncontroversial to claim that there are far more great stories in the comics with Spider-Man than Iron Man, and that you can find 100 great stories (as in as good as the best of superhero comics) with Spider-Man and a much smaller number (maybe less than 25, less than 50 if you want to be charitable) with Iron Man. And I think that people have a right to expect the on-screen versions reflect that reality.
It just sounds you're saying nothing other than you hate how Iron Man was star of the MCU and they dared to have Spider-Man look up to him.
That's all it sounds like, and given how you advocated for Tony getting character assassinated in Civil War just so Thor could beat him look coo it's hard seeing any other way.