Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default If the Joker died, would Batman actually miss him?

Batman has had a very twisted relationship with the Joker over the years. If the Joker were to finally perish, would Batman actually miss the Clown Prince of Crime, or would Bruce simply think, "good riddance?"

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

There will be some sort of emptiness in the sense that things are not the same anymore, but no, because he'll be too focused on taking care of everything and everyone else.

That is after he's 100% that he's not coming back from the dead, because, after all this time, all the near-death, presumed to be dead and body disappearing, his first assumption would be he will come back.

Well he spoilers:
    died
    end of spoilers in the Arkham games, but appeared in all 4 games anyway, so the writers sure can't let go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Well he spoilers:
    died
    end of spoilers in the Arkham games, but appeared in all 4 games anyway, so the writers sure can't let go.
    Well, he was instrumental with Gotham Knight, so yeah.

Morrison had Bats dump Joker in the trash after he got shot in the head which is a perfect answer to that question. No he wouldn’t miss Joker because 1. He ******* hates Joker and 2. There’s still going to be plenty of crime in a Jokerless Gotham so Bruce will still have plenty to do.

speaking of the arkham games, he definitely seemed more sad about Joker than Talia... I mean he cradled his body, and carried him out to the authorities while Talia rotted back at the theater. I remember him being called out on that in the Harley Quinn dlc, though I'm forgetting the details. That being said, I don't care for the idea of Batman secretly caring about the Joker one bit. And much prefer the idea that he hates Joker and wants him dead, even if he can't bring himself to cross that line.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    speaking of the arkham games, he definitely seemed more sad about Joker than Talia... I mean he cradled his body, and carried him out to the authorities while Talia rotted back at the theater. I remember him being called out on that in the Harley Quinn dlc, though I'm forgetting the details. That being said, I don't care for the idea of Batman secretly caring about the Joker one bit. And much prefer the idea that he hates Joker and wants him dead, even if he can't bring himself to cross that line.
    Should just look the other way and let Jason put one between the clown's eyes.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I laughed when that happened. "but wait, Talia's still inside in the mix of rubble, clayface and lazarus juice"
    Another reason why I don't like the series after the first game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Morrison had Bats dump Joker in the trash after he got shot in the head which is a perfect answer to that question. No he wouldn’t miss Joker because 1. He ******* hates Joker and 2. There’s still going to be plenty of crime in a Jokerless Gotham so Bruce will still have plenty to do.
    Bruce does/should not have some twisted fondness for the Joker - I dislike it when he is written that way. The Joker is often portrayed as one he perceives as his most dangerous foe, but there are others. Some versions of Batman (not nearly all), might have some guilt issues over not having saved the Joker and wondering if he let him die because he hated him (if it happened when he was anywhere nearby). But I think it's often sort of like the early Lego movie stuff - Batman is more important to the Joker than the Joker is to Batman. Of course, Batman isn't always that important to the Joker, either. These things vary by story/writer, rather than being consistent.

But Bruce already too emotionally screwed up for my taste, and I don't need this added to the pile.

Don't really like him throwing him in the trash, either, even though it's certainly consistent with portrayal sometimes. More inclined to treating him like any other dead criminal and toss in a big dose of relief that he can't hurt Bruce's family anymore. Maybe some happiness that he thinks he shouldn't feel.

BANNED

Batman is going to feel guilty for not preventing his fall in the vat and brood over it for a while then go apeshit crazy paranoid ensuring he remains dead to the point of beating the crap out of anyone who even mentions the J word or wear a clown mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I laughed when that happened. "but wait, Talia's still inside in the mix of rubble, clayface and lazarus juice"
    Another reason why I don't like the series after the first game.
    Arkham City’s plot completely falls apart if you think about it too hard. For all my problems with Arkham Knight it’s plot still held up better than City. But Asylum and Origins were both better in that regard.

Spectacular Member

Short answer: no.

Bruce would have more time to spend with Selina. She could probably find ways to take Bruce's mind off of Joker.

Mostly, no, I think Bruce would just be relieved and equally concerned about a return from the dead. I mean, almost everyone Bruce knows has died and come back and if anyone was going to get out of hell, it'd be the modern "so crazy it's a superpower" Joker. I'm actually surprised no one has done "demon Joker" yet, honestly.

I don't think Bruce has any kind of secret crush or respect for Joker. I don't even think Bruce looks at Joker as a "worthy challenge" or anything; he's just a rabid dog that someone should put down but Bruce can't bring himself to do it. Ra's, I think Bruce might miss, in a way. That's the "Holmes-Moriarty" dynamic I think, where there's respect as well as hate.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Any version of Batman where its even remotely implied that Batman "needs" Joker would not be a valid take on the character, IMO.