Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I would pay to see that. I would love it if the animated DCU did a lot fewer JLA/Trinity movies and the CW Seed stuff and spent the money on one-hour (or 50 minute) spotlights on different characters using original scripts. Make the animation top-notch and build up the new animated DCU with the solid B-Listers: Hawkman/Hawkwoman, The Atom, Firestorm, The JSA etc. Maybe have one JL movie every other year where you can incorporate some of those B Listers next to the usual suspects.
    I was hoping they might do a DC Showcase set in the animated continuity but I'll still settle for more DC Showcase .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The latest Word Balloon podcast has a great interview with the DC animated movies main producer James Tucker that is well worth listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The latest Word Balloon podcast has a great interview with the DC animated movies main producer James Tucker that is well worth listening to.
    I finished listening to it today. Sounds like the DCAMU was sprung on them just as much as the New 52 was a surprise for the main line. Sounds like Tucker is committed to this current iteration for the long haul which I’m happy with. He was absolutely right to include that Lois/WW scene in Reign, I loved that scene and am happy it was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I finished listening to it today. Sounds like the DCAMU was sprung on them just as much as the New 52 was a surprise for the main line. Sounds like Tucker is committed to this current iteration for the long haul which I’m happy with. He was absolutely right to include that Lois/WW scene in Reign, I loved that scene and am happy it was there.
    I could say that they've arguably done a better job of recovering then DC did with the New 52, ironically by also moving things away from just being wholesale based on the New 52 .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I could say that they've arguably done a better job of recovering then DC did with the New 52, ironically by also moving things away from just being wholesale based on the New 52 .
    To be fair, I don't think the comics, comprised of dozens of story arcs, can take the same approach to continuity as a handful of 80 minute animated movies. There was no way for the comics to pivot back towards more traditional interpretations of Superman and Wonder Woman like the animated movies did without contradicting hundreds of recently published comics.

However, I agree completely that stretching out their continuity revamp over more than three years is not necessarily the best way to handle it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Regardless of my feelings for the animated continuity, I think that having one at all limits the stories immensely. Having to Frankenstein adaptions into fitting in just adds unnecessary complications to otherwise standalone films...

And I really can't stand the designs. Everyone's head is too wide save for Diana and Arthur/Mera just look goofy.

That said, more standalone films and DC Showcase stuff is a welcome return to form. Now, if only we could get Green Arrow: Quiver animated. I don't even know if that's logistically possible, but I flippin' want it.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-17-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    That said, more standalone films and DC Showcase stuff is a welcome return to form. Now, if only we could get Green Arrow: Quiver animated. I don't even know if that's logistically possible, but I flippin' want it.
    I love Quiver and don't trust the animation team to do right by it even when I still haven't watched Reign or Hush yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Regardless of my feelings for the animated continuity, I think that having one at all limits the stories immensely. Having to Frankenstein adaptions into fitting in just adds unnecessary complications to otherwise standalone films...
    I don't think that prevents strong and faithful adaptions, for the most part, like Judas Contract or Death/Reign. Adaptions we might have never seen if not for these in-continuity movies.
    And I really can't stand the designs. Everyone's head is too wide save for Diana and Arthur/Mera just look goofy.
    They look less wide then the DCAU heads in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I love Quiver and don't trust the animation team to do right by it even when I still haven't watched Reign or Hush yet.
    Reign is better then Hush in my opinion.

And it’s not like the animated movies were ever 100% recreations. Under the Red Hood wasn’t, and it was all the better for it. Granted sometimes the leeway they take is bad, but if you want these animated movies to just recreate the stories panel for panel, you’re going to be out of luck because they never did that. Tucker in the interview explains why, sometimes what makes a good comic doesn’t make a good movie.