Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default The course correction of the DC Animated Universe continues...

The DC animated movies have always been a mixed bag, with some really excellent films and some outright duds. When the animated movies decided to largely abandon their loose continuity for an interconnected universe following the Flashpoint Paradox, that mixed bag became even more pronounced when it doubled-down on trying to ape the New 52's less than successful take on the DCU.

Now that the New 52 has largely been abandoned by the comics, the DC Animated Universe is similarly following suit, but without the wholesale continuity revamping time shenanigans. Instead, the DCAU 2.0 has been slowly but surely been repositioning and revamping certain characters so that they more closely resemble their most popular incarnation.

Unfortunately, we seem to be stuck with their Batman, despite this version being the least interesting of the main animated Batmen, but Superman and Wonder Woman have become almost completely changed from their initial characterizations, thanks to The Death & Return of Superman and, most recently, Wonder Woman Bloodlines. Both of these films have completely jettisoned the New 52 versions without actually erasing any of the past continuity, which is actually a pretty refreshing idea given how often DC tends to waste time explaining away stuff. In the case of these two characters, they simply pivoted away from the New 52 versions and just started having them act like their classic selves.

I'll be curious to see how the DC Animated Movies further evolve from here. I like that they aren't trying to do straight up adaptations of classic stories, but rather combining elements of various great story arcs to tell new stories that can thrill new viewers without feeling like rehashes for older fans.

I mean, Hush had Batman ditching his original suit for a more era-accurate costume with trunks and some fairly traditional takes on his Rogues Gallery (aside from a certain one), so I would say it was accomplished on that front as well even if the quality was...spottier compared to the Superman films in my opinion (I haven't seen Bloodlines yet).

Honestly I’m extremely happy with that. They showed that you didn’t need to do the typical DC convoluted bullshit to course correct, just write them better and things will fall into place.

Incredible Member

Since next one is an adaptation of Darkseid War, I hope we'll eventually get a new Flash movie featuring Wally. It's just a shame they haven't done more Green Lantern movies that could have led up to Blackest Night.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Since next one is an adaptation of Darkseid War, I hope we'll eventually get a new Flash movie featuring Wally. It's just a shame they haven't done more Green Lantern movies that could have led up to Blackest Night.
    If the heroes are ditching their New 52 inspired costumes I sure as hell hope Darkseid is redesigned. I absolutely hate the current DC animated universe Darkseid costume. No more gold and no more shoulder pads!

All I know is, I want Ollie and Dinah in the animated universe. I sorely miss them from JLU and am dying to see them appear anywhere.

Wallace is showing up in Apokolips War so Wally may not exist in this continuity.

It's not going to be an exact adaption of Darkseid War, although Batman will still sit on the Moebius Chair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    All I know is, I want Ollie and Dinah in the animated universe. I sorely miss them from JLU and am dying to see them appear anywhere.
    Roy/Speedy was shown to be with the original Titans, so I assume Green Arrow exists.

He was redesigned for Young Justice: Outsiders, which for the adult heroes usually means they were redesigned for the movies since Bourassa just used the exact same design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wallace is showing up in Apokolips War so Wally may not exist in this continuity.
    There was a white Kid Flash on the original Titans team along with Roy as Speedy. They've never really explained him since Flash doesn't act like he's had a sidekick before.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's not going to be an exact adaption of Darkseid War, although Batman will still sit on the Moebius Chair.

Roy/Speedy was shown to be with the original Titans, so I assume Green Arrow exists.

He was redesigned for Young Justice: Outsiders, which for the adult heroes usually means they were redesigned for the movies since Bourassa just used the exact same design.

There was a white Kid Flash on the original Titans team along with Roy as Speedy. They've never really explained him since Flash doesn't act like he's had a sidekick before.
    Oh cool I skip any movie with Damian in it since I find him insufferable in these movies. But I do plan to get Apokolips War. Wallace is a member of Damian’s Titans so we’ll get both characters which I’m happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh cool I skip any movie with Damian in it since I find him insufferable in these movies. But I do plan to get Apokolips War. Wallace is a member of Damian’s Titans so we’ll get both characters which I’m happy with.
    Judas Contract, where they show the original Kid Flash, has a pretty tolerable Damian presence in my opinion, so I would check it out.

Incredible Member

I mean, maybe just like in Rebirth, Wally could be trapped on Speed Force and everyone forgot him. It doesn't have to be related to Manhattan, maybe to Abra Kadabra.

I mean, maybe just like in Rebirth, Wally could be trapped on Speed Force and everyone forgot him. It doesn't have to be related to Manhattan, maybe to Abra Kadabra.
    I don't think we'll really get into what's going on with The Flashes until they give this Flash a solo movie.

Although I feel like the Leaguer next likely to get one is either Aquaman or Shazam (assuming they finally address where he's been since Thrones of Atlantis).

I haven't payed a ton of attention to the animated movies, but a natural progression to change the characters to something more classic seems way more preferable to the comics' constant and overly convoluted universe resetting that forces the writers to bend over backwards just explaining why things are this way instead of the way they were three issues ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think we'll really get into what's going on with The Flashes until they give this Flash a solo movie.

Although I feel like the Leaguer next likely to get one is either Aquaman or Shazam (assuming they finally address where he's been since Thrones of Atlantis).
    Either would be cool, but it will probably depend on how well Bloodlines does. If it does well they will hopefully start branching out to the non-Batman/Superman Leaguers.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I would pay to see that. I would love it if the animated DCU did a lot fewer JLA/Trinity movies and the CW Seed stuff and spent the money on one-hour (or 50 minute) spotlights on different characters using original scripts. Make the animation top-notch and build up the new animated DCU with the solid B-Listers: Hawkman/Hawkwoman, The Atom, Firestorm, The JSA etc. Maybe have one JL movie every other year where you can incorporate some of those B Listers next to the usual suspects.