Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Feel free to scathe me. I find a bunch of characters from the classic era havent had anything to tell for years now and those are two of them. Angel story has been one perfect circle this last decade, if anything you could argue he's propped up Betsy storyline but even that I find debatable. Nightcrawler has just been unremarkable. Im ready to have my mind blown if a writer comes up with a brilliant and radical direction to take them but if theyre just in a book because their classic characters and they have to be. Meh.
    I’m returning to the fold after nearly a thirty year hiatus, working my way through the back catalogue and I agree that Nightcrawler has been underutilised and directionless for too many years. But you don’t tend to give up on your favourites, do you?
    Whether Hickman, and the new writers have anything interesting to say, remains to be seen. The Council is an interesting choice for him, what I’d most like to see is him holding them to account and advocating for the gammas and the less beautiful/useful mutants, using his privileged position.
    He’ll continue to be used, one way or another, as an artist, I can tell you, he’s fascinating to draw and distinctive, so I suspect he’ll turn up on screen too.

BANNED

I feel like Claremont was right and some characters should retire from the XMen and only show up for specific missions or big events. They can grow and develop and itd feel exciting when they come back. Instead theyre just always there in the background doing nothing but being a powerset and recycling the same beat. But everyone has been stuck in stasis since the late 80s except for a few chosen ones.

Remember when there were X-Corp offices all over the world? Neal Shaara and Lifeguard were heading the one in Mumbai.

I wonder if the X-Corp are in charge of carrying out diplomatic dialogue between Krakoa and other nations through official channels.

I feel like Claremont was right and some characters should retire from the XMen and only show up for specific missions or big events. They can grow and develop and itd feel exciting when they come back. Instead theyre just always there in the background doing nothing but being a powerset and recycling the same beat. But everyone has been stuck in stasis since the late 80s except for a few chosen ones.
    I would say that Claremont is right with an addendum that Marvel is a company and we all know these decisions are not purely artistic. Even short term Morrison removing Magneto from the board for a few years had an explosion of development for Polaris away from a singular focus on her boyfriend. Then it quickly regressed to the same old crap dynamics when he returned.

It’s frustrating.

In terms of this title I am not sure what space this title might fill that others haven’t.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-23-2019 at 12:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Remember when there were X-Corp offices all over the world? Neal Shaara and Lifeguard were heading the one in Mumbai.

I wonder if the X-Corp are in charge of carrying out diplomatic dialogue between Krakoa and other nations through official channels.
    As much as I’d like that, isn’t diplomatic outreach part of the Marauders MO? They may be mostly responsible for helping mutants get to Krakoa but they seem to be doing it under the banner of the Hellfire Club, which basically manages all commercial contact with the outside world. Between that and X-Men (which is gonna have an issue at a world economic conference) I’m not sure there’s much space for a book specifically focusing on dialogue with other countries.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

True, and even the ones not in stasis get dumped on periodically with idiot plots (looking at Cyclops here). Which is why moving NC to the Council feels like a good idea. I’m fascinated by the running Krakoa, but I can’t see most fans being thrilled by it, not enough fisticuffs (unless Council meetings are way more hands on than we suspected).

It’s always been my hatred of soap operas, so much happens to the characters over the years, it becomes ludicrous. Recently on our radio soap, a female character stabbed her abusive husband. Give the script writers their due, when she ended up in court, part of what got her convicted was the list of previous plots she’d had (boyfriend committed suicide, anorexia, teenage rebellion, etc, etc) which brought home how stupid it is.

I'm betting X-corp is the X-Men's army.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    … I feel like one of Austen’s few interesting ideas was that the mythology of angels and demons is based on interactions with ancient mutants. ...
    A bridge too far, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Nothing to stop Polaris leading the team. I never felt that Kurt enjoyed being a field leader very much, doesn’t particularly play to his skill set.

I might be in the minority but I dont want Nightcrawler or Angel clogging up yet another book, being outdated and irrelevant for the 34th year in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by rdman View Post
    I'm betting X-corp is the X-Men's army.
    X-Men's army is X-men.

X-Corp has already been mentioned in the preview of New Mutants # 2, it is a company funded by Sunspot.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    A bridge too far, IMO.

Why is Elsa Bloodstone with them? And why is she wearing face paint? Because otherwise we might just have the single worst take on Rachel's hound marks to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

Corporations doesn't do this kind of thing

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Corporations doesn't do this kind of thing
    What if they're more like the Peace Corps?

I might be in the minority but I dont want Nightcrawler or Angel clogging up yet another book, being outdated and irrelevant for the 34th year in a row.
    I will join you in that minority but add in Beast, Havok, Colossus, Banshee, Polaris, Longshot and Dazzler as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    A bridge too far, IMO.
    Only if you treat fairytales as truth which I do not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    Only if you treat fairytales as truth which I do not.
    Nah, it only added wholly unnecessary convolution, to something that already has enough of it.