Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter as a couple, what would you think?

I think they understand pretty much each other, and Wonder Woman is probably the closest woman to Jīonn besides Diane Meade, the woman he most talks.
    I donīt believe (and itīs too mainstream) in Wonder Woman and Superman or Wonder Woman and Batman, so I think if Diana has to choose a super hero as mate from Justice League founders, why not Manhunter.
    WONDERMARTIAN MARTIANWAIFU 0.jpg

That would be an interesting relationship. Not sure how you would go about setting it up. Outside of Bruce and Clark, Aquaman is the guy who has always seemed closer to Diana, with them both being royals. I can’t remember any meaningful interaction between J’onn and Diana so a writer would have to do some work to build a foundation to support a romance. Could be good though.

Manhunter is somehow more boring than Steve Trevor, so that'd be a big N O from me.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 10-16-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Incredible Member

I didn't actually know what "shipping" was at the time, but in hindsight, I shipped them in the animated Justice League / Justice League Unlimited series.

They seemed like a good "match" to me - both outcasts from their societies, both with a millennia of experience, both super capable and always overshadowed by Superman (and happy with that), both compassionate / empathetic, etc.

But, in terms of the comics, it's a no from me. If they can't get Steve Trevor right, then I think Diana should just date freely. I'd like to see little "snippets" of her dating life with various people (whether male, female or non-binary). But, "romance" doesn't need to be a major factor in her series. Maybe once they've tried various partners on for size, they can find a new "partner" who can actually be developed as a meaningful and canonically long-lasting supporting character in the comics.

Uhmm, no, not for me. Sorry. I rather see Diana with Arthur (Aquaman).

I want to see some Diana fighting underwater action!

Question

I suppose it could work. Not to offend, but it certainly is a crack pairing (as in unconventional) if I've ever seen one. But hey, IMO, just about any option is better than boring 'ol Steve at this point.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Cthulhu approves....

Probably only Cthulhu.

No thank you.

Fantastic Member

Not interesting in seeing WW and the Martian manhunter together as a couple or Aquaman!! Bring back WW and Superman!!

I've only seen this suggestion maybe twice before, and every time it comes up it's from a fan whose favorite character is Martian Manhunter. Then again, this is probably how shipping Wondy and Batman got started, so I guess nothing new really.

I prefer them as friends and don't for Diana being paired with any of the League members.

BANNED

The Manhunter could become whomever she fancies so that's one fringe benefit.

Retired

The comic books and even moreso the TV shows seem to shy away from exploring the full implications of Martian sexuality. Since they're gender fluid, they shouldn't be in these classic middle America 1950s family dynamics--that have been forced upon J'Onn. There's a real opportunity to present a very different kind of psychosexual norm on Mars that contradicts the Earth assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The comic books and even moreso the TV shows seem to shy away from exploring the full implications of Martian sexuality. Since they're gender fluid, they shouldn't be in these classic middle America 1950s family dynamics--that have been forced upon J'Onn. There's a real opportunity to present a very different kind of psychosexual norm on Mars that contradicts the Earth assumptions.
    Actually, the current run of JL has him paired with Kendra/Hawkgirl and, in the future, they have a winged Martian kid who comes back with them to the present. It feels very forced to me, but it is, at least, 'exploring J'onn's sexuality' in a way.

Retired

I thought you were going to tell me that he was paired with a man. That would maybe indicate that J'Onn doesn't conform to one sexuality over another. Having him always with women--unless he's in a female form with another woman--doesn't seem all that daring. On SUPERGIRL, he's the traditional father figure--who mourns the loss of his family and tries to have relationships with females. It just seems to me that if you're a shape-shifter like with J'Onn, M'Gann, Reep and Yera, then playing out human sexual behaviour would be limiting. They have bodies that can be anything they want them to be at any moment--so why would they act like people who don't have that potential?