Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I thought you were going to tell me that he was paired with a man. That would maybe indicate that J'Onn doesn't conform to one sexuality over another. Having him always with women--unless he's in a female form with another woman--doesn't seem all that daring. On SUPERGIRL, he's the traditional father figure--who mourns the loss of his family and tries to have relationships with females. It just seems to me that if you're a shape-shifter like with J'Onn, M'Gann, Reep and Yera, then playing out human sexual behaviour would be limiting. They have bodies that can be anything they want them to be at any moment--so why would they act like people who don't have that potential?
    Despite being able to change form, Martians have always traditionally identified as male and female. J'onn was married to a Martian woman and had two children. M'gann identifies as female. Both spend their 'down time' in decidedly male/female biological forms.

Interestingly, they might not have been born male/female? But I've never seen any of the Martians, green or white, changing sex for anything other than disguises.

Retired

The thing is the concept of the Manhunter from Mars has been evolving over time since 1955. Originally, he was from a peace-loving Mars, where they had no war for thousands of years. Then that was retconned so a war between two different types of Martians destroyed the planet and sent the Martians off looking for another planet to colonize and J'Onn joined them. Then that was all thrown out and J'Onn became much weirder--with his true form being revealed as something very un-human. And then we saw that he could switch sex in his Martian form. And then we get these more domestic stories of J'Onn having kids and a wife. Yet, if DC is looking to develop more out of the box characters, they have J'Onn as an obvious candidate. And since he's been retconned so many times, it wouldn't be unusual to take him in a different direction yet again.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The thing is the concept of the Manhunter from Mars has been evolving over time since 1955. Originally, he was from a peace-loving Mars, where they had no war for thousands of years. Then that was retconned so a war between two different types of Martians destroyed the planet and sent the Martians off looking for another planet to colonize and J'Onn joined them. Then that was all thrown out and J'Onn became much weirder--with his true form being revealed as something very un-human. And then we saw that he could switch sex in his Martian form. And then we get these more domestic stories of J'Onn having kids and a wife. Yet, if DC is looking to develop more out of the box characters, they have J'Onn as an obvious candidate. And since he's been retconned so many times, it wouldn't be unusual to take him in a different direction yet again.
    Hopefully DC won't take him in a different direction!! Keep the Martian manhunter the way (HE IS)!! I'm not interested in seeing DC develop HIM into a out of the box character!! I think it refreshing having stories about a man, his wife and his kids!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 10-19-2019 at 06:45 PM.