View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

83 33.20%
  • ★★★★

84 33.60%
  • ★★★

55 22.00%
  • ★★

18 7.20%
  • 10 4.00%
Page 99 of 107 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1591

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    I’m sorry, Im so confused rn. People with PTSD are capable of consent; Scott was depressed like many of us, we still consent and have sex.

It is morally unethical to prey on people and married folks but to compare it to rape, I think not.
    By being his therapist, Emma was in a position of authority over Scott, at least during the sessions. That limits his ability to consent in a manner similar to one's boss pushing for sex from an attractive employee, except that in therapy one is considered especially vulnerable. 24 states consider such contact to be criminal conduct, from sexual imposition up to rape, although New York is not one of them.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

But it's Emma. And it's X-Men. That's all there is.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    People suffering from severe psychological trauma are not in a well-enough head space to consent to a relationship, let alone with their therapist. This is a view held strongly by the American Psychological Association.
    Yes, those that are admitted. From what I remember Scott was a functioning man with severe depression. He was not diagnosed, Scott unfortunately got his mid-life crisis at an early age but I don’t remember being as mentally incapable or consenting as you made him sound to be.

Therapists manipulating their clients is rape, that’s a big YES. But I don’t think Emma was his official therapist, she was just there and claimed to be a therapist. Was he paying her?
    Last edited by BitParallel; 10-22-2019 at 12:01 AM.
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    But it's Emma. And it's X-Men. That's all there is.
    Anything that runs on rules of drama often crosses what would be legal lines in the real world. Having sex with someone when they think you are someone else happens in fiction a lot, but is a criminal act in the real world. Mystique would be in so much trouble, except that she is wanted for far more serious crimes with all the murders.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    By being his therapist, Emma was in a position of authority over Scott, at least during the sessions. That limits his ability to consent in a manner similar to one's boss pushing for sex from an attractive employee, except that in therapy one is considered especially vulnerable. 24 states consider such contact to be criminal conduct, from sexual imposition up to rape, although New York is not one of them.
    I don’t know where y’all getting “she was his therapist from”. Was it ever established ?

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    I don’t know where y’all getting “she was his therapist from”. Was it ever established ?
    She was acting as his therapist when Charles refused. Whether this was ever made "official" on panel is questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Anything that runs on rules of drama often crosses what would be legal lines in the real world. Having sex with someone when they think you are someone else happens in fiction a lot, but is a criminal act in the real world. Mystique would be in so much trouble, except that she is wanted for far more serious crimes with all the murders.
    "Mystique is wanted for 1,017 counts of murder, 16 counts of rape, and about 900,000 other things that seem really minor compared to the first two."

"Mystique is wanted for 1,017 counts of murder, 16 counts of rape, and about 900,000 other things that seem really minor compared to the first two."
    I believe that has a page on TV Tropes - 'Murder, Arson, and Jaywalking'
    Dark does not mean deep.

She was acting as his therapist when Charles refused. Whether this was ever made "official" on panel is questionable.
    I don’t remember him asking Charles for therapy and Charles refusing. Scott cheating is your typical infidelity story,” I was depressed/mid-life crisis .. my wife didn’t pay me attention wah wah lemme go holla at that blonde chick. Oops, I love my wife. I’m sorry. Take me back. I’m more depressed now.”

BANNED

Emma was absolutely not his official therapist lol

I am the last person to say that Scott and Emma's early foundation was pure as the driven snow but AFAIC it was consensual, it was not taking advantage of a damaged man, etc. They both made clear choices, and then built the relationship into much more following Morrison's run.
    Last edited by powerpax; 10-22-2019 at 12:09 AM.

More or less questionable than Emma being licensed as a therapist at the time?

Never mind if any of it was taking place in a state where it would be legally suspect if she was acting in a licensed/professional capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    More or less questionable than Emma being licensed as a therapist at the time when any of this at the time?

Never mind if any of it was taking place in a state where it would be legally suspect if she was acting in a licensed/professional capacity.
    Money and connections can create blind eyes where oversight is concerned, and Emma had plenty of both at the time, and came from a family used to dealing in corruption.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Hm...therapist....the rapist. That's weird.

In all seriousness, the lack of knowledge and clarity on what Scott was going through, along with the specifics of his treatment, blur the lines on whether it was rape or not. It's honestly left up to interpretation in my opinion.

I think this serves as an example of what not to do.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 10-22-2019 at 12:16 AM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Hm...therapist....the rapist. That's weird.

In all seriousness, the lack of knowledge and clarity on what Scott was going through, along with the specifics of his treatment, blur the lines on whether it was rape or not. It's honestly left up to interpretation in my opinion.
    I'm a huge Emma fan, but she was easily 90% to blame for what happened. I can't help but notice the people who hate the idea that Scott was not well enough to consent are the same people who want Scott to die for hurting Jean.

I am always little hesitant to call certain situation and things rape in science fiction. I don't think it was writers intent to be rape but it doesn't completely change fact that it can fall under the definition of it. We are talking about telepathy and there is a argument, like virtual reality or mmoprg how much that counts. Of course taking advantage of your patient is messed up enough. I mean understand real world consent laws yeah it can fall under rape but lets say Scott punches in Jean Grey in telepathy session did he commit assault? Is he wifebeater for punching in her telepathic mindscape? Fiction has grey area stuff
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-22-2019 at 12:18 AM.